What do you think of Karate Conditioning?

MarcoW

Bojacked Horsehungman
@Brown
Reaction score
What do you guys think of Karate Conditioning using old methods and tools like the chi-ishi (stone mallet) and nigiri-game (clay pots)?

I have been doing some exercises with a chi ishi before karate and jiu jitsu class once or twice a week for a month or so and I've found my forearms have gotten much tighter. Additionally the workout I do with them gives me a much nicer pump in the chest than bench pressing ever did.

Do you think I could actually build muscle mass this way? Or is it just going to tone my muscles?

These videos aren't the exact exercises I am doing, just posted to show an example.

Last edited:
It's just another variant of strongman training. It'll work, but so will other things. Do what works and what you enjoy, progress, recover, lather, rinse, repeat. Always, repeat.

I guess I think anything traditional is limited due to its blind adherence to word of mouth modalities.

I guess I think anything traditional is limited due to its blind adherence to word of mouth modalities.
On the flipside they figured out what worked and got results in simular conditions. Not some marginalised attribute in a science experiment.

Look at the blind adherence that occurs now with all the fads and trends and internet gurus. A lot of studies taken out of context, and a lot of biased "science". It's easy to get lost in information overload and not actually listen to your body and how it is responding.

The best coaches and teachers right now are the ones who understand science, physiology and anatomy, but also understand the value of practical application and what works in practice. I'd imagine the same was true back then.

Last edited:
On the flipside they figured out what worked and got results in simular conditions. Not some marginalised attribute in a science experiment.

Look at the blind adherence that occurs now with all the fads and trends and internet gurus. A lot of studies taken out of context, and a lot of biased "science". It's easy to get lost in information overload and not actually listen to your body and how it is responding.

The best coaches and teachers right now are the ones who understand science, physiology and anatomy, but also understand the value of practical application and what works in practice. I'd imagine the same was true back then.

We have no idea whether they did or not as we rely on word of mouth over hundreds of years.

Your second paragraph illustrates the importance of quality evidence, both in oneself and the advice you take.

Yes, but we are better equipped now to answer the questions. We stand on the shoulders of giants and again. Chinese whispers.

What they are useful for is their emotive, narrative power.

What they are useful for is their emotive, narrative power.
you seem to be taking an incredibly philosophical stance on what is an incredibly basic feasibility question.

you seem to be taking an incredibly philosophical stance on what is an incredibly basic feasibility question.

That's kinda how I view everything, but if you like: there is no such thing as toning, only fat loss or muscle gain.

Doing anything that has resistance will cause the body to adapt so as to accommodate that resistance.

Whatever gets you going and meets your needs.

That's kinda how I view everything, but if you like: there is no such thing as toning, only fat loss or muscle gain.
if this is strictly true why are some people with smaller muscles stronger than some people with larger muscles?

if this is strictly true why are some people with smaller muscles stronger than some people with larger muscles?

That is having more motor neurons recruited so the muscle is working harder and/or different muscle fibers and muscle anchor points mediated through greater or lesser technique and leverage.

Back