What do you think if "An eye for an eye?"

WorldofWarcraft

Holy Paladin
Banned
Reaction score
What is your opinion An eye for an eye punishment? I think in several muslim countries, they practice this.

Do you think it's the fairest form of punishment?

this also means that if someone kills one of your relatives or something, you get to kill one of theirs right? stupid

I'm not too clued up on this but in the bible it states "eye for an eye" yes? But then it also states to not harm or kill anyone.

What's that all about then? Which is it. If somebody chops up my dog do I chop them back?

I think it is not appropriate in the usa for the most part. There are often cultural factors, etc you have to account for when dishing out punishment

I'm not too clued up on this but in the bible it states "eye for an eye" yes? But then it also states to not harm or kill anyone.

What's that all about then? Which is it. If somebody chops up my dog do I chop them back?
from what i learned, 'an eye for an eye' was actually a way of reducing damage done by revenge, because people would go over the top when they were wronged.

full

So if someone rapes me I have to rape them back?

What is your opinion An eye for an eye punishment? I think in several muslim countries, they practice this.

Do you think it's the fairest form of punishment?
dont Americans have capital punishment? is this not an eye for an eye?

It's embraced logically by children and simpletons, disregarded by adults.

History class was destroyed ITT...

Sad..

Eye for an eye means that the punishment must fit the crime and evil deeds should be punished justly.

Whole world.... blindness... that kinda thing.

this also means that if someone kills one of your relatives or something, you get to kill one of theirs right? stupid

That is indeed, an incredibly stupid misunderstanding of the concept. If you kill someone, you get killed; that would be an application of eye for an eye. Murder is the crime in question, not "murder of someone's relative". If you break someone's nose under American law, for instance, you pay damages to him; your brother doesn't pay damages to his brother because you both have brothers, or something.

The Code of Hammurabi is one of the few bits most people remember from like the 6th grade or something. Lol

Or so I thought.

It's the way stuff was done for thousands of years, and it was silly. It's one of the direct reasons Western Civilization has evolved into what it is, a system of objective laws and non retribution based punishment.

Back