what do you mean I can't knee-bahhh???

He should definitely be allowed to knee bah if he's been driving for an hour to get there

Wow. I wonder how many people read the thread title and screamed "OLD!"

Superb necro. New generations need to be constantly reminded of the myths of yesteryear.

Just this week someone yelled "kneebah" at open mat. None of the Bluebelts or below understood the greatness as it happened.

Well, I'd never seen it and it's funny as shit. Love the bacne too. Not that bacne and flying off the handle are related at all.

Guy's "I don't fucking cayuh" should have been followed by "It don't mattah to Jesus!"

Just this week someone yelled "kneebah" at open mat. None of the Bluebelts or below understood the greatness as it happened.

Whenever I catch a kneebar in the gi, I always say 'Wadda ya mean I can't kneebah?!"... it's a shame half of my training partners don't understand what I'm saying.

guy is a clown. he did try to crank it after the ref told him to stop, not cool. not sure i would remain as calm as others if i saw somebody do that to me or a teammate so deliberately.

LMFAO!

YOU CAN'T KNEEBAH?!?! I KNEEBAHED HIM! Hahahahha

This is especially poignant for me, being from Massachusetts. Oh boy

That was a pretty clean submission too, he had that leg cranked. I mean, it's kinda unreasonable to get pissed off because you don't know the rules, but I see where he's coming from. He full ass tapped that dude.

This happened to me before, but I didn't go crazy.
All I said was "you can't knee bar? That's ass."
I got dq'ed

If I saw someone do what that guy did at 1.01 I would strongly consider soccer kicking them.

Double necro! What does it mean!?!?

cool story bro

Really? You dropped a "cool story bro?" What, are you like 16?

Not sure why you're being all snarky. You posted an old video that lots of people had seen. The other guy said as much.

Now, I don't really see a problem with it, since there are plenty of new people that probably haven't seen it.

The lessons to be learned here:

1. Know the rules to the competition before you get on the mat.

2. Acting like an ass in public is a bad idea, even if you're right.

For those of us that don't grapple and stumbled onto this through the 'latest threads' list, why would knee bars not be a legal technique? Is it common for techniques to be not allowed? Are there any other common disallowed techniques?
Thanks.

Required viewing for new grapplers. Fine bump.

For those of us that don't grapple and stumbled onto this through the 'latest threads' list, why would knee bars not be a legal technique? Is it common for techniques to be not allowed? Are there any other common disallowed techniques?
Thanks.

It really depends on the tournament and divisions within that tournament.

Some tournaments don't allow certain leg locks until you are competing at a certain level or not at all, depending on the leg lock in question.

Then again, so tournaments will allow slamming your way out of a submission.

It can go either way, protective or offensive, and you must know the rules you're competing under.

Jesus, he kept cranking it after all the called stops and taps. I don't understand how this guy DOESN'T get a boot party right there on the mat from homie's team.

This is the school where he learned dat wicked knee bah. FWIW I got kneed in the face three times while reading this thread.

[YT]hbfChTPZsno[/YT]

I hadn't seen it before, and found it funny. Thanks for posting. It's the smallest tourney I've seen too (as far as people in attendence). I like the whole "I traveled an HOUR!!!" really bro? I traveled 5 hours a few months ago to spectate and support my team... and I'm traveling that same distance again in a couple months to compete myself... big deal. an hour?

It really depends on the tournament and divisions within that tournament.

Some tournaments don't allow certain leg locks until you are competing at a certain level or not at all, depending on the leg lock in question.

Then again, so tournaments will allow slamming your way out of a submission.

It can go either way, protective or offensive, and you must know the rules you're competing under.

With regards to the leg locks, is it because they are seen as more dangerous or something? So more likely to go wrong with the lower skill levels, anything like that? Cheers for the info.

From NAGA's NoGi Rules:
NAGA ILLEGAL TECHNIQUES

N0-Gi Division Illegal Techniques

All Adult Divisions (Male and Female, Adult, Masters, Executive, and Directors)

•NAGA is open to athletes from all forms or grappling, and discriminates against none. All submission holds are legal. Neck cranks and all leg locks including inside heel hooks, outside heel hooks, and knee slices are permitted. Bicep slices and wrist locks are permitted.•No scissors takedowns are permitted, unless a hand is first placed on the mat.
•No slamming from the guard or to escape submission.
•No slamming is allowed in takedowns. In determining whether or not a takedown was a slam, referees will consider whether the intention was to hurt the opponent.
•Submissions must be applied in order to get a submission, and not in order to injure the joint.
•No strikes of any kind are allowed to any part of the body or head, by any part of the body or head.
•No clutching of the windpipe is permitted
•No pressure of any type is allowed to the eyes. Explicitly, no fingers, chin, palm heel, etc are allowed to press on the eye.
•No pressure of any type is allowed to the groin, unless it is an inevitable and unintended result of a legitimate technique.
•No pushing palm or elbow directly into nose.
•No striking of any kind including: shoulder, headbutts, punches, elbows, knees, kicks etc.
•No fish Hooking is permitted.
•No biting is permitted. A player defending against a rear naked choke.
•No spiking an opponent on his/her head.
•No Small Joint Manipulation is permitted. No pulling a thumb or less than three fingers is permitted.
•No pulling hair.
•No pinching, twisting of skin.
•No putting a finger into any orifice.
•No Interference by a corner with any official or fighter.

I know this guy. We used to train at the same gym. He's a decent person regardless of his behavior in this video. I'm not condoning his behavior but there's a good thread which he responds to on the underground about this incident that explains most of it. Just wish I could find the thread....

Found it!

With regards to the leg locks, is it because they are seen as more dangerous or something? So more likely to go wrong with the lower skill levels, anything like that? Cheers for the info.

My understanding is that they pose a higher risk of a long-term injury. For instance a heel hook blowing out someone's knee to the point of requiring surgery... etc... and when combined with someone who doesn't know how 'far' to take it, you're asking for a problem.

I know this guy. We used to train at the same gym. He's a decent person regardless of his behavior in this video. I'm not condoning his behavior but there's a good thread which he responds to on the underground about this incident that explains most of it. Just wish I could find the thread....

Found it!

Dang, that almost ruined the kneebah for me.

Almost. Not quite.

Hahaha that was hilarious.

I had the opposite happen to me.. I tried to knee bar a guy in the blue belt gi division (which was totally legal in this tournament: Naga 2 yrs ago) and his coach went a little nuts. I ended up getting choked out though, because all i knew how to do was go for kneebars.

Hey, quick question.. was that a cool story?

Found it!

Does he still train? I'd love to believe he's a black belt by now and mellowed out since the kneebah.

Thats-NOT-a-Cool-Story-Bro.jpg

Found it!

GOLD

All these years and I never knew there was more to the story.

He does sound like an okay guy, too.

Back