What do you listen to when you're depressed?

It depends on what type of depressed I am at the time.

When I wanna cheer up something like..

Or stay melancholic..

Depressive Suicidal Black Metal aka DSBM which come to think of it probably doesn't help my mentality but it's how I feel so fuck it give in to those thoughts.

Nocturnal Depression, Dantalion, TotalSelfHatred, Lifelover, Nocturnal Degrade, Silencer, EDM

That's my usual stuff but a lot of regular black metal has a sad or melancholic somber atmosphere or sound to it , I tend to lean towards Melodic Anguish and songs that have that sound.

Stuff like this....but really it's what I mostly listen to anyways my mood doesn't really affect what I listen to it's always something depressive or dark that's what I like.

I tend to listen to alot of Dissection and Dark Funeral as well not that their music is depressed sounding quite the opposite actually but...knowing what Jon eventually did...knowing what Black Moon eventually did....puts me in a certain mindset

Dantalion as of late is my fucking shit.

I almost always listened to stuff that enabled my depression but lately I'm trying to break that habit.

There have been times in my life where I've just listened to Pink Floyd's The Wall album over and over again wallowing in my own shit.

Radiohead and NIN were always favourites too.

I try to listen to more uplifting stuff now but it just doesn't feel right sometimes and it's easy to slip back into the old habits and listen to stuff like this...

Some tunes make me feel ecstatic though. Ennio Moricone really gets my juices flowing

Then there's the heavy stuff which can help me to pick myself up sometimes. Hatebreed have good lyrics about never giving up and being the best you can be

Last edited:
This always makes me feel better......but it could be the ass slapping.

To cheer up I listen to Dave Matthews.. but then I get depressed again.. then cheer up again. What a roller coaster

I like instrumental stuff when I am sad.

When I'm down in a slump, I listen to a lot of Alice in Chains, Trouble, and Tesla

Has to be one of the most depressing AIC songs ever.I love it but hard to listen to especially after both Layne & Mike died.Still a great tune.

I do just tend to perpetuate shit by listening to sad, relatable music, but If I want an actual pick me up, I go with Move On Up by Curtis Mayfield.

Something about this song just works every time.

Back