what do you guys think of earthworm jim?

GloryOfIran

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
I had the gameboy game growing up but not the genesis version. I liked the first 2 levels but the rest was difficult and managed to make a simple platformer into a where do i have to go game. I always heard great things about the genesis version but having now played it I think it hasnt aged well. The controls feel a bit off and you cannot jump on chains like you could in the gameboy version. There are often very long animations when you take damage from a basic enemy. Its not bad but it seems like the kind of game i would rent on a weekend and think was cool but have no desire to put down money for it. How do you guys feel about the game?

I never cared for it. Played it for under an hour when it came out and had no desire to play any more.

I wore out the Super NES version as a kid

I believe that for its time the animation was cutting edge, that that was what drew a lot of people to it. The graphics were excellent for the time as well.

They're good games. I couldn't beat the underwater level. I think one time I got to the level after, where you bungee jump with the booger.

speaking for the snes version, it had great art direction (visuals, animation, soundtrack) but the gameplay is just not up to par with its platforming peers

the art direction is actually what hurts the gameplay. the visuals are pleasant to look at but make for convoluted gameplay - it's difficult to tell what you can and can't interact with, what is and isn't a platform, what can and can't hurt you. the animation was nice but made for laggy and unresponsive 'controls' that bolstered the already high difficulty

overall some neat qualities but has several poor game design elements which make for unfair difficulty. not so enjoyable to play today

EJ 1 and 2 are great, 2 is one of favorite all time games, I could play Level Ate over and over again. I don't remember them being as difficult as most mentioned but then again I thought crash was easy for the most part back in the day til the remaster kicked my ass non stop.

I've thought about changing my av from Lowly Worm to Earthworm Jim for a while, at least on a temporary basis.

The mini game where the bad guy is throwing puppies out the window
And you had to bounce them with a marshmellow to safety or else they'd splat like raw eggs was super fun.

A far second to:

Boogerman_-_A_Pick_and_Flick_Adventure_Coverart.png

Loved the classic SNES games, great animation and humor. The "Mmmm, tender" line whenever he got a can of worms sticks in my head to this day.
Also that level with Moonlight Sonata still sticks in my mind to this day.

He's such a groovy guy.

For anyone who never got to see most of the game :

They're good games. I couldn't beat the underwater level. I think one time I got to the level after, where you bungee jump with the booger.

Ugh, that fucking level. The cause of so many broken controllers. What was worse, was when you beat it, usually with your lives and continues eaten by it, you would just get raped by bungee guy because you didn't really know what to do with him, and have to start all over.

It's been a while, but weren't those three levels(Underwater, Bungee, Dog) back to back to back? Just brutal. I made it to the final boss a couple of times, but never actually beat the game.

The same problem as with BattleToads for me. Too much change in gameplay during different levels.

I've played it a few times as a good, and again when I was older for nostalgia. I don't think I really like it. Just doesn't keep me interested I suppose. And I think I remember it being a bitch to play lol.

I remember that being one game I needed cheat codes to beat.

I also remember it as being one of the few games that was better on the Genesis.

Broke too many controllers playing the Genesis version. Then i saw a replay on youtube years later and realized i was supposed to press a button to helecopter my head to slow my descent. Fu ewj!

Back