What do you eat? Getting back into S&C. Trying to to gain 10-15 pounds

Legendary

Ꮥµpǝɹnøʌɐ
@Black
Reaction score
I fell off late 2014, just burnt out from being busy with work and working out in general. I stopped cooking and started eating out a lot more and stopped going to BJJ. Stopped lifting too around the same time. My job is pretty physical and I walk 2-5 miles daily during my shifts and carry shit around the whole time. It keeps me in decent shape , but outside of that I have not been doing much physically. Between not eating healthy food and not being nearly as active as I was, I have lost 15 pounds 155-160ish to 140-145 now. I guess my metabolism just eats away at me if I don't constantly 5 meals a day.

Pretty soon I am going to start running again, lifting, and then once I stabilize a good routine, I want to go back to BJJ. Before I start rolling again, I want to get up to a healthy weight again. I went back early this year and I just felt so lethargic from rolling due to not being active and not eating enough. It was not a good stress, I actually felt sick after rolling, and not from going too hard, but just from being weak from not eating enough.

Going to start running 2-6 miles twice a week and lifting 5x5 twice a week. I really want to gain 10-15 pounds of healthy weight. What the hell should I be eating? I just seem burn everything I eat.

steak, butter, eggs, bacon, fruits and veggies

i live in california so my diet is 90% mexican food. thats good cheap bulking food. al pastor...

your bjj cardio will only improve by going to bjj class. dont put it off, just accept that the first couple weeks will suck.

freakroor already got you covered.

Snack on nuts/dried fruit throughout the day, get some meat beside steaks and make some stew or chilli, and look for a recipe for keto cheesecake or other stuff you like.

Checkout my training log for an example routine... I gained 5.5 pounds and my waist did not increase.

It might help if you track all of your meals. I generally eat either egg beaters or two eggs plus toast plus a whey shake with milk for breakfast.

I space my meals out approximately every three to three and a half hours. And it could be anything. Peanut butter and jelly sandwich, Pastrami and cheese sandwich, but I always have a whey shake with it.

For dinner, I might just have a bowl of pasta. And maybe turkey sausage.

Before bed, casein shake with milk.

So, 5 for meals a day for me.

I eat a lot of apples... complex carbs. 1 to 2 a day 2 hours before I train. They don't count as meals :)

And if i wanted a snack, which is rare, I would have some roasted nuts.

I mention this in case your work really is that hectic, and you have a hard time getting some good meals. You could always supplement your protein intake to get your macros where they need to be.

And use a calorie calculator to find your target based on your activity level.

Worked for me.

-T

My typical meals...

Breakfast
2 eggs, whole wheat toast, cup milk, 1 serving whey protein powder

Early lunch
PB&J Sandwich on whole wheat bread
Cup milk and 1 serving whey powder

Lunch (timed 4 hours before training)
Same early lunch

Snack (timed 2 hours before training)
1 or 2 Apples, OR a banana

Train

Dinner
Pasta and a meat
1 cup milk, 1 serving whey protein powder

Bed time meal
1 cup milk, 1 serving casein protein powder

Calories hit 2400 to 3000 daily. Fat usually 25 to 30% of diet. Protein is about 200 grams, and carbs grams range 280 to 350.

-T

Eat everything. Then look for more and eat it too

How much do you weigh? I would lose so much weight if I eat such a little amount.

EDIT

Was meant to quote T-Bone

Last edited:
Whatever you do fuck paleo. You need to go full jurassic if you want to make real gains.

43130.jpg

I'm a flexible dieter (IIFYM) so I eat what I want. Eating clean does more long term damage (goal wise) to me.

The best diet is one that you can stick with consistently. No point on eating clean, only to gorge 10k calories daily post-fight/contest due to cravings
For gaining weight, look to lean bulk (0.5lb a week ideally, as 1lb would put on a bit of fat. Even with the 1/2lb a week, 1/2 of that is going to come from fat)

Really it depends on you, if you have a high metabolism, you can eat more flexible (or junk), but if your metabolism isn't high, you can't afford to chomp down poptarts and will have to eat clean to meet your daily macros

But for your question of a usual day for myself

Meal1: 2hashbrowns, 4poptarts, special k protein bar
-Lift
Meal2: 2cups chocolate milk, 2poptarts, 6 rice cakes, Thompson raisins 29g
-train
Meal3: 1.5 cups egg whites, whole wheat hamburger bun, tuna, 3 high protein oats + whey

3350 cal, 64fat, 535 carb, 174 protein (on a bulk/surplus) | protein stays the same (I like to keep 1lb/bodyweight), fats: I go up until 100 at most, but most of the time I keep it around 60-70g; carbss, as long as its over 400g I'm okay

How much do you weigh? I would lose so much weight if I eat such a little amount.

EDIT

Was meant to quote T-Bone

Oh... I was 168... lost 7 pounds due to martial arts. Then started on this training and nutrition plan .. so i sm currently 167. I have the plan in my training log in S&C. I am 5'6".

Curious, how many calories you eat a day? You are probably much more active than I. I average 2700 calorries daily.

-T

That makes sense then. I weigh 200lbs. Never go below 4000 calories (apart from recently as I've been ill), aim for 4500-5000.

for the past 2 weeks its been this
Bananas
Chicken breast
Brocolli
Branflakes
Milk (2%)
Whole Eggs
Rice Cakes
Peanut butter
Nutella
Oatmeal
PB2
Iso-whey
Spinach
Maca

Trying to keep it as clean as possible.

More carbs and more fat. Protein is very satiating, so you feel full much sooner when eating more protein.

I was eating 4500-5000 calories a day of whole foods (carb heavy) and gained weight insanely fast.

I'd suggest doing the same, just force feed yourself as much healthy food as possible and train like an animal.

Oh... I was 168... lost 7 pounds due to watching martial arts videos. Then started on this training and nutrition plan .. so i sm currently 167. I have the plan in my training log in S&C. I am 5'6".

Curious, how many calories you eat a day? You are probably much more active than I. I average 2700 calorries daily.

-T

Wow. So you're like Peter Dinklage - Warwick Davis type stature? What's your best takedown, John Smiths? Do you hit them standing?

Wow. So you're like Peter Dinklage - Warwick Davis type stature? What's your best takedown, John Smiths? Do you hit them standing?

Great. Another stalker following me on the forum. I am sure the TS was looking for serious replies. So now you poke fun at me because of my height. Wonderful.

Have a good day.

-T

TS, whatever approach you decide I strongly recommend tracking your daily calories and macros, at least for a little while. It's only after I began tracking I found out I was under eating in a big way. Thought I was getting in enough.

Oh... I was 168... lost 7 pounds due to martial arts. Then started on this training and nutrition plan .. so i sm currently 167. I have the plan in my training log in S&C. I am 5'6".

-T

You should be hitting about 3340 calories, based on the 20cal per pound of body weight formula. It's worked for me. If your doing cardio you will hold off some of the fat. You can't gain 10-15lb of muscle fast unless your on drugs. 10lb in your first year is doable with alot of discipline, which I never have lol.

And just go back to BJJ, gettign into shape for BJJ is insane as BJJ will get you in BJJ shape faster than any non BJJ activity, one more "BJJ" for good measure.

I eat everything. My food, gf's food, her nieces food. MY FOOD. In all seriousness it depends on my goal, i switch my diet.

Currently on my BBQ...partridge, bear, my last moose steak. I intend on buying quail, they are 3$ a bird in my area and are legit fresh (live).

Back