What do you do when you feel like you've reached the end?

i love it how people itt just push out the old positivisms. they are meaningless to a person that has reached what appears to them as the end. running and eating chocolate doesn't solve shit as long as your mind holds no purpose. the west has this unnatural fear of death i cannot understand. maybe it's because i am from eastern europe where a lot of us know that life is shit and no amount of vigorous pretending otherwise won't change that.

there is the concept of dignified death. one according to which life is not worth living at ANY cost. you can chose to end it, at your own will and under your own terms, in a way that preserves the value of persona dignity. there is no shame in death. it's more shameful to live out your days as a worm that only eats, shits and fucks and that's about it.

definitely one of the more interesting posters I've encountered here.

"When you loose everything you are completely free" tyler durden

What is it that you have dreamed to do but never had to courage or time to do? Now its time to start living that dream and see were that leads you

how sure are you that it's the case here though?

Myself, I tend to try to not put forth something that would make the situation worse. It's kind of recent for me but it's safer.

Fair enough, I'm just conveying my experiences with people who have attempted or succeeded at suicide. More often than not, after hearing the details. I'm left like......
<{hughesimpress}>

Fair enough, I'm just conveying my experiences with people who have attempted or succeeded at suicide. More often than not, after hearing the details. I'm left like......
<{hughesimpress}>

A lot of people don't understand it.

i love it how people itt just push out the old positivisms. they are meaningless to a person that has reached what appears to them as the end. running and eating chocolate doesn't solve shit as long as your mind holds no purpose. the west has this unnatural fear of death i cannot understand. maybe it's because i am from eastern europe where a lot of us know that life is shit and no amount of vigorous pretending otherwise will change that.

there is the concept of dignified death. one according to which life is not worth living at ANY cost. you can choose to end it, at your own will and under your own terms, in a way that preserves the value of persona dignity. there is no shame in death. it's more shameful to live out your days as a worm that only eats, shits and fucks and that's about it.

people push positivity because standing on someones throat when they ask for help wont be solved with what would have to be negativity then, by your first statement.

people push positivity because standing on someones throat when they ask for help wont be solved with what would have to be negativity then, by your first statement.

I get what @indrid is saying a bit, I think. We do push positivity to the point where it becomes standard. It loses it's meaning.

I get what @indrid is saying a bit, I think. We do push positivity to the point where it becomes standard. It loses it's meaning.

reaffirming that dark times will improve is much more impactful when someone grasps that death is a finality and that a great support system and embracing positivity can pull people through some dark fucking spots.

nobody has the patent on misery or depression. we've all been through it in some for or another. i'd much rather have support than someone telling me its probablly better to just close your eyes and sink to the bottom of the pool.

reaffirming that dark times will improve is much more impactful when someone grasps that death is a finality and that a great support system and embracing positivity can pull people through some dark fucking spots.

nobody has the patent on misery or depression. we've all been through it in some for or another. i'd much rather have support than someone telling me its probablly better to just close your eyes and sink to the bottom of the pool.

me too. No doubt. I've needed it in the past actually.

Kids. It means you are ready to have kids. People used to call what you're experiencing "growing up." Notice how people in pictures didn't used to look very happy? Your days of selfish happiness may be over, but that can be normal. Have a child, and live to create a happy world for them. If you give them a safe environment, they experience joy as a child, and you can catch some of their joy and excitement for life. You get happiness by giving it to them. You aren't able to gratify yourself anymore through selfish endeavors.. maybe you just grew up and weren't ready for it lol. Get married, even if it's to a big girl or somebody your childhood friends wouldn't approve of, and have a family.

So your solution for people with depression is to procreate and possibly bring children into the world who might also have the condition?

Here's a song that happened to be popular during an early low point.
It's about the many disappointments in life.

So your solution for people with depression is to procreate and possibly bring children into the world who might also have the condition?

A lot of "depression" is simply not meeting the standards of the "me me me now" atmosphere in the West right now. There isn't supposed to be childlike joy and excitement for everybody their whole lives. It's immature, but it's sold to us. I don't know.. I see your point, and if there is a chemical imbalance, maybe hold off. But there are some very stoic people out there who may not be looking for "fun" at every turn, but they don't know it's ok to be that way because the TV lies about life.

What's really scary is you know how irrational your emotional states are. It's like being a puppet. I literally feel like I'm watching someone else pull the strings from a distance.

A man can do what he wants, but not want what he wants - Arthur Schopenhauer

I recommend martial arts as well. Always found being angry and dealing with that was easier then depressed. When I'm feeling shitty I'll listen to metal and it can get you in the "alright world you want to challenge me fucking bring it" mode. And it will help you sleep.

A lot of "depression" is simply not meeting the standards of the "me me me now" atmosphere in the West right now. There isn't supposed to be childlike joy and excitement for everybody their whole lives. It's immature, but it's sold to us. I don't know.. I see your point, and if there is a chemical imbalance, maybe hold off. But there are some very stoic people out there who may not be looking for "fun" at every turn, but they don't know it's ok to be that way because the TV lies about life.

You sound like a Scientologist. If you break your leg, do you go to a doctor or just man up and get over it?

I've tried to kill myself a couple times before but I wasn't so good at it really. And now I don't even know. But it's strange to feel like you've come to the conclusion of something - or yourself I guess. And it's really strange when you have all these feelings and the person that you haven't talked to in months won't talk to you. And then you realize all the stuff people pick on you about is true. And then you stop having a job that you love. And then you're afraid of the future.

I guess I'm just wondering like when it's okay to give up and then how is it okay to give up. and when you hate yourself and you realize most people do too then why not?

But the general question is if any of you have been in a position where you felt entirely hopeless and if so what made you keep going?

If you can take anything away from this thread, I hope it's the realization that you're not alone and there are many, many others who have all experienced these same thoughts and feelings. People who attempt or commit suicide all experience crippling sadness (for whatever reason they feel is pertinent), despair, depression, anxiety or mental illness, and most times it stems from a feeling of alienation and loneliness. I don't know of anyone who HASN'T had passing thoughts of suicide or pondered what a life and world without them would be like.

Life doesn't owe you or anyone anything. Nowadays, everyone seems to have some sense of entitlement based on their upbringing or wild fantasies on how life is ''supposed'' to play out. Life doesn't work that way, and bad shit happens to people all the time. It's learning to not take it personally and letting it roll off your shoulders, which unfortunately... most people don't.

Suicide more often than not, it seems to come out of the blue, because most people that do try or succeed suffer in silence instead of reaching out and talking to others. Not to take anything away from the Sherbro's here, but the vast majority of us aren't psychologists or psychiatrists, and despite there being some excellent advice and points in this thread, we're mostly relating from personal experiences. If you're feeling down, getting it out there does help, and there's always going to be people that are willing to chime in and listen (because really, that's what's needed more than anything else). But professional help should really be sought out.

One of my buddies suffers from PTSD and other mental illnesses, on top of being a raging alcoholic, and he has ran the gamut of ''professionals" and programs. Yet he still experiences periods where he feels like an utter failure and suicidal. He doesn't blame the system, he does blame himself, and all I can tell him is that he simply hasn't found the ''right'' person to talk to and open up to. Everyday I expect to wake up to some form of notification that he's finally killed himself. I really hope he doesn't do it, because he is my friend and for as much as I wish I could help, I'm powerless to effect any real change other than be supportive of him when I can.

Locally and very recently, a former soldier who's long suffered through PTSD stemming from his overseas tours and experiences shot his wife, his visiting mother, and his daughter before turning the gun on himself. To most people, we sit back and think about how horrific something that it is and how could things possibly get that bad, to take someone to such extreme to follow through with something like that? The reality of it is that depression and misery are extremely, extremely powerful emotions capable of driving someone to do things out of their character and control and should never be taken lightly.

I would be lying if I said that personally I never had any thoughts of suicide. I think it's normal. What gets me though the day is the realization that since the day I was born, I was already living on borrowed time. Man (and women) are mortal, and we're not going to live forever. I figure each day is one more that I get to experience (admittedly in hopes it's happily and healthily), and hopefully there's more to come. I know I'm going to die, I'm just not in a rush to get there anymore.

There's one person in this thread who (if they're not just talking shit playing a role) who is in serious, serious need of professional help... and I'm not referring to you.

Well this seems relevant.
In midst of the most horrible depression I've ever suffered, I've been diagnosed with tinnitus coupled with significant hearing loss. The doctor tells me the situation probably won't improve and it's driving me further into depression.
I don't exactly know if I can live like this because the tinnitus is awful, like a fire alarm in my left ear that never goes away and it's driving me crazy.

But I suppose there's nothing else for it. I haven't been this depressed since my first wife drove us off the road.

I think the point he is trying to make is that sometimes people who have others that depend on them are less likely to actually attempt it or commit suicide.

He's not wrong, but he's not right either. My wife suffers from depression and anxiety, and the subject of suicide somehow came up in one of her doctor's appointments. My wife told him that she can't commit suicide because she has kids, which apparently is a major warning sign. Turns out that her trying to justify reasons for her not doing it is dangerous as it means the thoughts are already prevalent and under consideration. Now, she's never attempted it, but with the kids getting older and older, and less dependent on us, I'm paying closer attention to her behaviour and warning signs.

Nobody lives out their life just to wish that they killed themself 40 years earlier. Whatever feelings you have will eventually pass.

It's never alright to give up.

This. Just because you can't perceive a better future doesn't mean it's not gonna happen. You're just not in the right state of mind. Have faith. .and make a 5 year plan.

Well this seems relevant.
In midst of the most horrible depression I've ever suffered, I've been diagnosed with tinnitus coupled with significant hearing loss. The doctor tells me the situation probably won't improve and it's driving me further into depression.
I don't exactly know if I can live like this because the tinnitus is awful, like a fire alarm in my left ear that never goes away and it's driving me crazy.

But I suppose there's nothing else for it. I haven't been this depressed since my first wife drove us off the road.
That must suck. I don't know much about tinnitus but can they fix some hearing aid type device that blocks out the noise and helps with hearing ? Or would that make it worse?

Back