What do you clean your mats with?

georgegreece

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What kind of cleaners/chemicals do you use , in what concentration and how often?

Bleach. Fungicide. We alternate. One wipe down prior to training. One wipe down after training.

Bleach. Fungicide. We alternate. One wipe down prior to training. One wipe down after training.

Everyone uses bleach because it's cheap but it's a nasty chemical, it takes many hours for the chlorate ions to decompose to chlorine in order to make it safe, can get skin rush, eye burns and other stuff if you roll on the bleach, should be diluted a lot prior to use and left for many hours.

Has anyone used Simple Green D Pro 5? I saw it on the site Holt linked.

Last edited:
Bleach pine sol mix but I’m going to have to try out holts idea

Everyone uses bleach because it's cheap but it's a nasty chemical, it takes many hours for the chlorate ions to decompose to chlorine in order to make it safe, can get skin rush, eye burns and other stuff if you roll on the bleach, should be diluted a lot prior to use and left for many hours.

Use hydrogen peroxide based cleaners, ie oxygen bleach. Also deconstructs microbes on a molecular level but oxygen is something a human body is designed to handle metabolically.

Last edited:
For those of you using any cleaner besides bleach, do you spray the cleaner on the mat then mop/wipe it up, or do you spray a fine mist of it and distribute evenly on the mat and just leave it?

Someone mentioned to me if you just mop, sometimes the solution will dry up too quickly and not have long enough of a contact time to the mat to really kill germs. As opposed to leaving a fine mist spread out evenly, it contacts the mat long enough and dries out reasonably fast.

Not sure what to think of thes but it does make sense when I think about this

One of my training partners who was a head wrestling coach for a big school recommended I use "Microban," anyone have any experience with that?

@BJJ Coffee Drinker Never heard of microban before but a quick search says it is a surface modification for leather and foam so maybe that's what you meant?
The peroxide products are ok, if there's enough sunlight hitting the surface peroxide decomposes faster.
Another line of products would be ones that contain silver salts like silver citrate e.t.c. I haven't tried them but these are safer to use as is dettol.

Here is a good read: https://infectioncontrol.tips/2017/03/09/effective-reduction-bacteria-surfaces/

Last edited:
Almost all metal salts, whither they be very expensive or not, will be toxic to most forms of microbial life. Some more than others.

One of the most common solutions used by farmers, for instance, when doing 'bulk' disinfections (like footbaths for livestock) is zinc sulfate or copper sulfate; another option that's non-toxic for humans. ('Non-toxic' here meaning, it's a substance that the body has a metabolic pathway for, unlike for example halogens like fluorine or heavy metals like lead.)

Last edited:
Back