what do u think of my striking in this vid

But in the end you don't find it takes "2 movements" for offense. 1) shift, 2) attack

I was taught that being forward heavy is that I can deploy attacks ASAP being "1 movement". My schools' a bit more dutch than traditional.

Front heavy may be marginally faster but I find it gives up power and balance. You can snap off rear side kicks & punches a touch faster since you don't really have to transfer weight and your hands & legs are closer to the target, but the lack of weight transfer also means you can't get as much weight & extension behind the strikes. For an extreme example, see Holly Holm and her severe weight forward stance.

With your weight centred or back, you drive off the rear foot and start to pivot on the front as the rear unweights, then continue the motions to complete the kick. I find the pivot is actually a bit faster this way since there's not as much weight on the front foot and the added drive off the rear leg gives better speed & momentum to the weight shift & rotation. Overall, maybe the same speed or a touch slower, but it feels a lot more fluid and balanced for me.

-Try some kicks without a step in. Just pivot from where you are. It make the strike a lot less telegraphed.

This. Most definitely this. Or at least use some random front leg bounces to hide the step-in.

Front heavy may be marginally faster but I find it gives up power and balance. You can snap off rear side kicks & punches a touch faster since you don't really have to transfer weight and your hands & legs are closer to the target, but the lack of weight transfer also means you can't get as much weight & extension behind the strikes. For an extreme example, see Holly Holm and her severe weight forward stance.

With your weight centred or back, you drive off the rear foot and start to pivot on the front as the rear unweights, then continue the motions to complete the kick. I find the pivot is actually a bit faster this way since there's not as much weight on the front foot and the added drive off the rear leg gives better speed & momentum to the weight shift & rotation. Overall, maybe the same speed or a touch slower, but it feels a lot more fluid and balanced for me.

This. Most definitely this. Or at least use some random front leg bounces to hide the step-in.
Interesting, I'll have to try this out. Balance has been an issue with me for awhile, I've found work arounds, but I always figured it was a personal thing rather than a technical fault.

@shincheckin

Sorry mate, i don't post vids of me. I prefer to stay anonymous in here. Nothing personal. I hope my posts give me enough credit to be taken seriously in a discussion, and that I don't need to prove myself with vids of my fights.

@j123

-I believe that the best way to train it, is on the heavy bag, not on the pads.

-Find you distance, and don't step in. The step makes it easier, but you want to learn it the hard way, to have a better feel for it.

-Exaggerate your balance on the back foot. All your weight should be on it. keep your back above that leg, almost behind it. Stand tall on it. Keep your leg straight, no bend whatsoever at the knee.

-The back foot should almost be at an 90°.

-Have your front foot barely touching the floor with the toes, knee bend. You should be able to raise the foot without shifting your balance, not even slightly.

-Have some MT music playing in the background.

-Try to make those in one motion:

+"Rise" on the ball of the front foot. You are shifting your weight forward and up. Your foot must not step down entirely.
+Your front leg is extended now, totally straight, and with that movement, your bag leg should already start the raising motion of the kick.
+You must feel that the raising of back the leg (start of the kick) and the shifting forward is one motion.
+While you shift your weight forward, you're already starting the rotation on you front foot.

-You may start with a front leg check, and when you step down, just kick. But again, when you put your front foot down, do it just on the balls of the foot. Don't step heavy, and then rise up.
The check will make you be heavy on the back foot. So just check and kick. But not step in after the check. Put down your foot directly under the check.

I don't know if those make sense, explaining technique on a forum is very limited compared to real life discussion, where you can have visual complements.

@ARIZE

you dont need to prove yourself i just thought it would be cool to see everyone. kind of a way to get to know everyone on here better as far as the regulars and people that know what they are talking about etc. but no worries I understand wanting to remain anonymous as well.

Last edited:
-I believe that the best way to train it, is on the heavy bag, not on the pads.

-Find you distance, and don't step in. The step makes it easier, but you want to learn it the hard way, to have a better feel for it.

-Exaggerate your balance on the back foot. All your weight should be on it. keep your back above that leg, almost behind it. Stand tall on it. Keep your leg straight, no bend whatsoever at the knee.

-The back foot should almost be at an 90°.

-Have your front foot barely touching the floor with the toes, knee bend. You should be able to raise the foot without shifting your balance, not even slightly.

-Try to make those in one motion:

+"Rise" on the ball of the front foot. You are shifting your weight forward and up. Your foot must not step down entirely.
+Your front leg is extended now, totally straight, and with that movement, your bag leg should already start the raising motion of the kick.
+You must feel that the raising of back the leg (start of the kick) and the shifting forward is one motion.
+While you shift your weight forward, you're already starting the rotation on you front foot.

-You may start with a front leg check, and when you step down, just kick. But again, when you put your front foot down, do it just on the balls of the foot. Don't step heavy, and then rise up.
The check will make you be heavy on the back foot. So just check and kick. But not step in after the check. Put down your foot directly under the check.

I don't know if those make sense, explaining technique on a forum is very limited compared to real life discussion, where you can have visual complements.
Thats great stuff. Thanks. It actually makes sense. I guess its because I have exp. in striking so reading it I can kinda visualize decently.

-Have some MT music playing in the background.
Ewww. Thats like getting a staph infection ontop of my ear. I don't think the cauliflower can take it. The ears are fragile, I once had to listen to this fat chicka rant about drama problems, and I swear the swelling on the ear blew up and I had to get it drained the next day.

Damn @ARIZE is trying to convert people from real fighing to gambling moo tai. @AndyMaBobs is getting pushed out

@shincheckin

You are on an entirely different level than I so I can't speak much about criticism.

What I can say is that it seems like that gym puts a LOT of focus into technique and drilling it properly.

That, and they sometimes blast Sleep, Kadavar, and other awesome doom music while training occasionally which is badass.

@shincheckin

You are on an entirely different level than I so I can't speak much about criticism.

What I can say is that it seems like that gym puts a LOT of focus into technique and drilling it properly.

That, and they sometimes blast Sleep, Kadavar, and other awesome doom music while training occasionally which is badass.
Esp. this

But the real music to blast on is Nsync or Backstreet Boyz. It improves your technique greatly, esp. BJJ

@shincheckin

its a good gym with a good coach, the coach Aaron is originally from the UK (country has good muay thai), is well connected in the muay thai and boxing seen (friends with Liam Harrison, Manny Pacquiao, etc), has lived, fought, and trained in thailand, and has been training and fighting in the US for a long time as well. His gym is a fight gym, its open to anyone that wants to train, but he doesnt water it down to make business or appeal to a larger target market etc. Definitely stands out as one of the better gyms in socal for sure. I will continue to train there as much as possible but its a long drive.

its a good gym with a good coach, the coach Aaron is originally from the UK (country has good muay thai), is well connected in the muay thai and boxing seen (friends with Liam Harrison, Manny Pacquiao, etc), has lived, fought, and trained in thailand, and has been training and fighting in the US for a long time as well. His gym is a fight gym, its open to anyone that wants to train, but he doesnt water it down to make business or appeal to a larger target market etc. Definitely stands out as one of the better gyms in socal for sure. I will continue to train there as much as possible but its a long drive.

<mma4>
sounds like a great place! if i ever make it to west coast ill check them out. its good hearing about gyms that are traditional in the face of so many mcdojos.

Traditionally gyms like that haven't done so well, but I hope he can continue with it long term, its a dream to have a gym like that, and its a sponge for knowledge and improvement.

<mma4>
sounds like a great place! if i ever make it to west coast ill check them out. its good hearing about gyms that are traditional in the face of so many mcdojos.

I'm gonna make my own McDojo one day and make serious bank. And if any so called Sherdoggers or BJJ-wannabe-fake-Brazilian-accent-Shoyoroll-gi-gringo feels the need to white knight moo thigh or chu gif shoes, I've competed and done this for awhile so I'll seem legit anyways. I'll just inflate my achievements by buying belts and medals in bulk

as for punching

pivots are just a tool. You can punch hard as a muthafucka with hip flexion and rotation. Just need to be flexible, which kickers generally are.

Like you said before, knowing when to switch from a stance to another during a fight is key, in this case movingg from the hips extended muay thai tall stance vs sitting on your hips

also it looks like you're pre-pivoting. Thats a telegraph - Foot steps forward at an angle, I know only a kick is gonna come, no way a punch comes, and if it does it's gonna have no grit and weight behind it. I'm immediately gonna think about checking or parry.

Gotta feint them off first... it's kinda standard in muay thai: bait a check and kick when the check comes back to the ground, or kick the standing leg and send them flying looking like a BOSS. You'll have the lead leg loaded for a powerful lead punch, too... or even throw a "light" rear punch to set up a powerful lead.

with the correct timing and deception tatics I don't see the angled step as a problem. YES! it WILL telegraph a kick, so use it in your favor

Traditionally gyms like that haven't done so well, but I hope he can continue with it long term, its a dream to have a gym like that, and its a sponge for knowledge and improvement.

I'm gonna make my own McDojo one day and make serious bank. And if any so called Sherdoggers or BJJ-wannabe-fake-Brazilian-accent-Shoyoroll-gi-gringo feels the need to white knight moo thigh or chu gif shoes, I've competed and done this for awhile so I'll seem legit anyways. I'll just inflate my achievements by buying belts and medals in bulk

your exactly right, which i believe is part of the reason why he had to change gym locations. The new gym is on the smaller side, dont get me wrong, plenty of room for everything you need, but smaller than most gyms for sure. its a 2nd business for him, meaning its not what he does for a living. its secondary income. this is what allows him to run it the way he does. its a great place for real nakmuays, unfortunately they are few and far between and you cant run a business of just fighters. Hence the watering down of muay thai in america.

getting to a high skill level takes so much time and 1 on 1 time from the coach, there simply isnt enough time for it in most gyms. This is part of the reason why thai gyms have such a high coach to fighter ratio. While in the US it may be one coach to 50 students (notice the key terms fighters vs students ;) ). lastly the guys you need to watch out for when fighting, arent the guys coming from "UFC gym" its the guys coming from the hole in the wall gyms or someones garage etc.

perfect example if you guys dont already know who he is
http://www.goldenboypromotions.com/en/fighter/ryan-garcia

Landing a kick with a step.

OFF-TOPIC: Did you all watched the Superlek vs Muangthai fight? Superlek is one of a kind, dude is elite amongst the elite and basically uses his right leg, superb timing, opportunistic mofo

your exactly right, which i believe is part of the reason why he had to change gym locations. The new gym is on the smaller side, dont get me wrong, plenty of room for everything you need, but smaller than most gyms for sure. its a 2nd business for him, meaning its not what he does for a living. its secondary income. this is what allows him to run it the way he does. its a great place for real nakmuays, unfortunately they are few and far between and you cant run a business of just fighters. Hence the watering down of muay thai in america.

getting to a high skill level takes so much time and 1 on 1 time from the coach, there simply isnt enough time for it in most gyms. This is part of the reason why thai gyms have such a high coach to fighter ratio. While in the US it may be one coach to 50 students (notice the key terms fighters vs students ;) ). lastly the guys you need to watch out for when fighting, arent the guys coming from "UFC gym" its the guys coming from the hole in the wall gyms or someones garage etc.

Its funny, because when you first start you think combat sports = fighting, so its an area for fighters. Little did I know then that it was recreational members that keep the gym afloat

I've known a gym here that went bankrupt for going purely for fighters, its sad, but it is what it is

I think guys just need to start charging fighters. Having them train for free is a guarantee its gonna crash. They're gonna get comfortable, and lets be real its the gym business, people bounce all the time, even people who lift recreational bounce, so no doubt it'll happen in the combat sport world.

Its happened in boxing, seen guys who cheat their coach out. Guys thinks they're the next star and offer to train them for free, and even buy their meals aka. feeding them, and they lose the fire and just live like welfare bums. In the end its a huge loss for the owner/coach

Its a rough industry. Regular workforce doesn't have this so there's no incentive

Its funny, because when you first start you think combat sports = fighting, so its an area for fighters. Little did I know then that it was recreational members that keep the gym afloat

I've known a gym here that went bankrupt for going purely for fighters, its sad, but it is what it is

I think guys just need to start charging fighters. Having them train for free is a guarantee its gonna crash. They're gonna get comfortable, and lets be real its the gym business, people bounce all the time, even people who lift recreational bounce, so no doubt it'll happen in the combat sport world.

Its happened in boxing, seen guys who cheat their coach out. Guys thinks their the next star and offer to train them for free, and even buy their meals aka. feeding them, and they lose the fire and just live like welfare bums. In the end its a huge loss for the owner/coach

Its a rough industry. Regular workforce doesn't have this so there's no incentive

totally agree but........

Fighters represent your gym and help make the gym look good and promote it and draw in more customers. I totally agree with charging fighters, although I also agree with giving them a discount. None of the gyms I have ever trained or fought at let me go for free. Additionally, if a guy is going to fight for your gym, I think the coach should be willing to put the extra time into his fighters with 1 on 1 sessions, at no charge. I find it ridiculous for a gym owner/coach to want a fighter to pay for privates on top of paying for the gym membership when they are fighting/representing your gym and you as a coach. if i fighter gets into the ring and performs poorly, its a direct reflection of the coach, not be confused with loosing, but someone who is not well prepared, obviously mismatched, low skill level, etc...makes the coach look bad. The way I see it you can get your 1 on 1 sessions with a coach one of two ways, either pay for privates, or fight for privates. I also find it ridiculous for a coach to have fighters, just toss them in the "muay thai class" and expect them to go fight. unfortunately, these are common problems in the US. but at the end of the day its a business and the whole goal is to make money......and well all know that money is the root of all evil so go figure.

totally agree but........

Fighters represent your gym and help make the gym look good and promote it and draw in more customers. I totally agree with charging fighters, although I also agree with giving them a discount. None of the gyms I have ever trained or fought at let me go for free. Additionally, if a guy is going to fight for your gym, I think the coach should be willing to put the extra time into his fighters with 1 on 1 sessions, at no charge. I find it ridiculous for a gym owner/coach to want a fighter to pay for privates on top of paying for the gym membership when they are fighting/representing your gym and you as a coach. if i fighter gets into the ring and performs poorly, its a direct reflection of the coach, not be confused with loosing, but someone who is not well prepared, obviously mismatched, low skill level, etc...makes the coach look bad. The way I see it you can get your 1 on 1 sessions with a coach one of two ways, either pay for privates, or fight for privates. I also find it ridiculous for a coach to have fighters, just toss them in the "muay thai class" and expect them to go fight. unfortunately, these are common problems in the US. but at the end of the day its a business and the whole goal is to make money......and well all know that money is the root of all evil so go figure.
Yeah only the top favorite will get the 1 on 1, the rest they toss them into classes, and hope for the best.

To be fair you are a ammy fighter. Getting free training tends to happen with pros. Its in rare cases where a coach becomes really invested and thinks you're the next best thing compared to sliced bread that they're willing to forgo tuition. And at that point I'd be suspect, and have doubts of the guy as a businessman.

On a slightly related note, I've always hated how some coaches blame fighters for their incompetence. Guys wins in 2 seconds with a sloppy overhand "we've been drilling it all camp, just our tactics and GOAT knowledge".... guy loses and its "He didn't stick to the game plan!" which in reality means you didn't drill it enough so it would be muscle memory for them, you dofus!

I also have seen the classic bs speech made to try to get them to stay longer. Fighter A is the best at the gym and complains there is a lack of training partners. Then the speech goes:

"You have to be resourceful and work things with your partners, you don't need the best training partners to progress."

Which is true, but when your partners are month 4 guys who started sparring.... yeah you do need good training partners.

Last edited:
Yeah only the top favorite will get the 1 on 1, the rest they toss them into classes, and hope for the best.

To be fair you are a ammy fighter. Getting free training tends to happen with pros. Its in rare cases where a coach becomes really invested and thinks you're the next best thing compared to sliced bread that they're willing to forgo tuition. And at that point I'd be suspect, and have doubts of the guy as a businessman.

On a slightly related note, I've always hated how some coaches blame fighters for their incompetence. Guys wins in 2 seconds with a sloppy overhand "we've been drilling it all camp, just our tactics and GOAT knowledge".... guy loses and its "He didn't stick to the game plan!" which in reality means you didn't drill it enough so it would be muscle memory for them, you doufus!

I also have seen the classic bs speech made to try to get them to stay longer. Fighter A is the best at the gym and complains there is a lack of training partners. Then the speech goes:

"You have to be resourceful and work things with your partners, you don't need the best training partners to progress."

Which is true, but when your partners are month 4 guys who started sparring.... yeah you do need good training partners.

yeah i agree although the muay thai community is very small. If you follow the amatuer muay thai scene Im sure you know of most of the fighters from Bryan Popejoys gym, they are all very well known, and amatuers. :eek::eek::eek:roup was just posting about one of them on facebook, amatuer fighter. But I do agree that the pros obviously get more attention but I think the amatuers should get just as much, reason is this, first its the only way they are going to improve to make it pro, and also wether you are pro or amatuer, a fight is a fight, and you can get injured, you need to be well prepared. The amatuer is trying to take your head off just as much as the pro. You actually see more knock outs at the amatuer muay thai shows with the guys that have only a few fights and are less experienced, cause the majority of the time they get in there and just start swinging, and eventually something connects. its more wild, the more experienced guys are more controlled.

and I totally agree about good quality training, as well as good quality training partners. I am friends with a few guys I have years of training experience on, i started long before them. They both moved to colorado and started training and fighting for duane ludwig the past 2 years, when they came back, they have improved greatly, and one of them pretty much whooped my ass in sparring.

same thing goes for guys that train here for years, vs someone who maybe trained in the US for 6 months or so, then goes to thailand for 6 months, and comes back and is better than the next guy thats been training for 5 years here in the US. Whats taken me a lifetime to learn in muay thai, i could teach to someone in a few years.

I was recently watching a toby smith interview, check out what he says at the end. I agree 100%, theres not 1 foreigner whos top level that hasnt been to thailand, its basically a requirement.

yeah i agree although the muay thai community is very small. If you follow the amatuer muay thai scene Im sure you know of most of the fighters from Bryan Popejoys gym, they are all very well known, and amatuers. :eek::eek::eek:roup was just posting about one of them on facebook, amatuer fighter. But I do agree that the pros obviously get more attention but I think the amatuers should get just as much, reason is this, first its the only way they are going to improve to make it pro, and also wether you are pro or amatuer, a fight is a fight, and you can get injured, you need to be well prepared. The amatuer is trying to take your head off just as much as the pro. You actually see more knock outs at the amatuer muay thai shows with the guys that have only a few fights and are less experienced, cause the majority of the time they get in there and just start swinging, and eventually something connects. its more wild, the more experienced guys are more controlled.

and I totally agree about good quality training, as well as good quality training partners. I am friends with a few guys I have years of training experience on, i started long before them. They both moved to colorado and started training and fighting for duane ludwig the past 2 years, when they came back, they have improved greatly, and one of them pretty much whooped my ass in sparring.

same thing goes for guys that train here for years, vs someone who maybe trained in the US for 6 months or so, then goes to thailand for 6 months, and comes back and is better than the next guy thats been training for 5 years here in the US. Whats taken me a lifetime to learn in muay thai, i could teach to someone in a few years.

I was recently watching a toby smith interview, check out what he says at the end. I agree 100%, theres not 1 foreigner whos top level that hasnt been to thailand, its basically a requirement.

The issue is ammy shows aren't too popular, and there's not too much money. A pro that has no standards (which a hppens alot) could fight for 300/400 (opposed to supposedly paid 600/800) and they'll get the spot. We're kinda in the ammy era now, but pros still take precedence. I only know 1 guy thats an ammy and has sponsors, and they're from friends that happen to be business owners, not really fresh networking contacts.

A pet peeve of mine is people underestimating amateur fighters and the spectrum is so wide, there are guys like 1yr 0-1 ammy, and there are A-class guys like you. Hell, alot of ammys I've been around are better than some pros. I've mentioned it before, but here, pro is a nightmare so everyone has ammy exp. the high level guys are pretty much pro anyways (20 fights).

Everything in the ammy game in prep, mental, physical, training frequency, weight, etc is the same. I train 2x a day, 6 days a week when in camp, and I'm not a full time pro fighter. And all ammys train just as hard, if not harder. Yeah its a huge pet peeve of mine to chuck ammys aside because of the title. Technically pro doesn't mean much. It means professional in the context of profession. Its assumed you'll be good at something if its your job and you do it daily. But we've all come across people who are professionals at their day jobs and are completely incometent, same thing in the fight biz.

I've seen some KOs in ammy, but its rare, maybe it depends on the region. TKOs happen alot though, I'll agree on that part if thats part of the equation.

Region is a huge part of combat sports, you could be the best in your area, but if its a place say Trinidad where MT is barely existing, you won't improve at the rate compared to Thailand, or what you say Cali being high level in MT for North 'merica.

Interview:
"I like to fight people who are technical so I can bang and overcum their technicality"

But he does have a point... if a guy's technical, you fight "dirty" (not cheating, but gritty) to see if they break when they can't fight pretty. Pocket fighting, over aggressive stuff, etc.

The issue is ammy shows aren't too popular, and there's not too much money. A pro that has no standards (which a hppens alot) could fight for 300/400 (opposed to supposedly paid 600/800) and they'll get the spot. We're kinda in the ammy era now, but pros still take precedence. I only know 1 guy thats an ammy and has sponsors, and they're from friends that happen to be business owners, not really fresh networking contacts.

A pet peeve of mine is people underestimating amateur fighters and the spectrum is so wide, there are guys like 1yr 0-1 ammy, and there are A-class guys like you. Hell, alot of ammys I've been around are better than some pros. I've mentioned it before, but here, pro is a nightmare so everyone has ammy exp. the high level guys are pretty much pro anyways (20 fights).

Everything in the ammy game in prep, mental, physical, training frequency, weight, etc is the same. I train 2x a day, 6 days a week when in camp, and I'm not a full time pro fighter. And all ammys train just as hard, if not harder. Yeah its a huge pet peeve of mine to chuck ammys aside because of the title. Technically pro doesn't mean much. It means professional in the context of profession. Its assumed you'll be good at something if its your job and you do it daily. But we've all come across people who are professionals at their day jobs and are completely incometent, same thing in the fight biz.

I've seen some KOs in ammy, but its rare, maybe it depends on the region. TKOs happen alot though, I'll agree on that part if thats part of the equation.

Region is a huge part of combat sports, you could be the best in your area, but if its a place say Trinidad where MT is barely existing, you won't improve at the rate compared to Thailand, or what you say Cali being high level in MT for North 'merica.

Interview:
"I like to fight people who are technical so I can bang and overcum their technicality"

But he does have a point... if a guy's technical, you fight "dirty" (not cheating, but gritty) to see if they break when they can't fight pretty. Pocket fighting, over aggressive stuff, etc.

yeah man I agree with you again.

your totally right, i see alot of guys rushing to go pro that shouldnt be. In reality, anyone can be pro, you can be 0-0 as a amatuer and jump straight to the pros. Doesnt mean your ready, or that you will do good, or that you really are a pro.......but hey your "pro". I guess theres a difference between a pro, and a legit pro, or someone thats actually qualified to be pro. I do feel, and i think i remember reading somewhere that socal is considered the muay thai hotpsot of the US. not that there arent great gyms in other states.

regarding pro/ammy muay thai vs pro/ammy mma.

I feel that the skill level in amatuer muay thai is much higher than the skill level compared to amateur mma. guys go pro in mma very fast. I actually had this same conversation with one of my mma buddies who has now had 3 pro mma fights, he only had 4 amatuer mma. He was saying the same thing and that people are pretty much like "dude why arent you pro yet".

or maybe another way to put it, would be the skill level, of the low level pros, isnt as high as one would think.......just because they are "pro"

So to comment on the video. I like your jab a lot. Your fundamentals on it are a top notch. You have explosive hands, but cant see the same explosiveness when you kick. It looks like (not sure how it feels) that you do not kick strong. Or you do it intentionally? But anyway even if intentionally you do not add the same explosiveness in the kicks that you have in your hands.

Fundamentals are very good from what I can see in the video, but I am expecting that from a fighter :)

Back