What did you think of Valero as a fighter?

Discussion in 'Boxing Discussion' started by XThe GreatestX, Jul 13, 2018 at 9:05 PM.

1. XThe GreatestX

XThe GreatestX Red Belt

Randomly came across some videos of guys talking about Valero. I remember watching him a bit ( I think I saw two or three of his fights including his last one before his death) and thinking hes was pretty wild but obviously massive power for a little man. And i noticed he had no problem hitting a guys arms to wear them down which I think is a good technique for a big puncher.

I think his last fight w/ Demarco he looked a bit more technical and then obviously all the stuff happened.

So strictly as a fighter. What did you think of him? vs Pac etc

2. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

really good fighter. Lot of power, great stamina. Bit of a plodder though and not great defensively, particularly after his motorcycle accident (he showed more boxing polish early on IMO). Not fast enough that I think he'd beat Pac, though it would have been a war.

Strange King and DaveDave like this.
  3. Mr2urbo

Mr2urbo Brown Belt

A lot of fun to watch, crazy power, massive head hunter, hard to imagine him keeping that crazy streak if he fought in the states after the motorcycle accident, honestly DeMarco and Mosquera were his only best wins

By the time there were talks of him fighting Pacquiao, Pacquiao had polished up his game and boxed more, I think Pacquiao would have won

Would have beaten Barrera and Morales at the time, not so sure about Marquez

4. Two Guns

Two Guns Capo dei capi

5. The Adder

The Adder Green Belt

Bum with power and not much else. Wilder and Majorga laugh at his lack of technique. He would have lost to all the top guys of his era. The only reason we know he existed was because some in the boxing media chose to make hyping his career one of their career goals.

Watch him almost get KOed in the 3rd.

Marc A likes this.
  6. Marc A

Marc A Being broke is being dishonest

Dear god the ring girls in that fight where goat

7. MMALOPEZ

MMALOPEZ Silver Belt

Powerful beast. He has the power to ko anyone in his division so he was never out of a fight. Another tragic end in the sport

8. DaveDave

DaveDave Blue Belt

JMM would've stood him on his head.

The Adder likes this.
  9. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Pretty overrated fighter, IMO. He had big power but not much more. When the best scalp on your resume is Antonio Demarco, there's a lot of questions about your talent.

10. HardasNAILZ

HardasNAILZ Hard, always HARD.

Overrated in regards to resume I agree.

11. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

He was not that technical. He fought with his mouth open, put his chin up when throwing, overreached while punching quite often. A decent counter puncher would have taken him apart.

12. benebox

benebox Brown Belt

Valero against matthysse would have been nuts.

13. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

Matthysse would have murdered him. I like Valero (as a fighter, not as a person obviously), but he's the kind of guy whose style meant that he would likely cap out at 135, maaaaybe lower tier 140 for success. I could see him beating Ricky Burns at 140 or Troyanovsky. But Matthysse? Nah, Matthysse would have run him over.

14. XThe GreatestX

XThe GreatestX Red Belt

From what i have read it seems he was a decent guy but the motorcycle accident scrambled his noodle pretty bad and the repeated blows to the head just made it worse.

ironfist05 likes this.
  15. Strange King

Strange King Strange Music

Loved him, very dissapointed in his actions not to be able to see him fight the best. he would of beaten some of the top guys. Maybe had a nice brutal trilogy with some

16. Seano

Seano Hands of bone

Yeah, I think he would have got wrecked vs any elite. I actually went back and watched a few of his fights because of this thread and I remembered why I was never on that bandwagon. He was a pretty sloppy fighter, really.

ironfist05 likes this.
  17. ironfist05

ironfist05 Silver Belt

yup, and Matthysse is not the kind of guy you want to have defensive flaws against. You walk into that right, you're going down. That works for a guy like Danny, who is a natural 140er and can take a punch. But an SFW with a leaky defense? nah

18. ssx

ssx Brown Belt

Really good power. But chin up, winging wide punches with little regard to defense would spell disaster again the top guys. He looked like he got buzzed in the first round, then looked legit hurt in the 3rd.

19. Bert415

Bert415 Orange Belt

To be fair, the guy did have some ungodly power.