What did you think of the striking of the UFC 217 title fights??

Jimmy Jazz

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I was impressed by George. I don't know alot about boxing but his lead leg roundhouse without the switch was beautiful and his use of an uber TMA kick the rear leg side kick was great to see. I was super disappointed with Cody. That high kick was basically all he had to worry about imo and he blew it. I think he shouldve used his jab and cross alot more. What did you think of the fight between Rose and Joanna? I had a feeling Rose would win for some reason.

Striking has improved conciderably in the UFC but they all train boxing and kickboxing nowdays so it's no wonder , and cody always had good hands.

Striking has improved conciderably in the UFC but they all train boxing and kickboxing nowdays so it's no wonder , and cody always had good hands.
havent they allways trained kickboxing?

Joanna vs. Rose, IMO, was a process failure and impatience on the part of Joanna and good pattern recognition, distance control, and timing by Rose.

Joanna failed to find the range with her jab and use the low kicks to slow Rose down a bit before unloading with power strikes. She threw maybe 1 or 2 rangefinder jabs that weren't close to landing and went straight to throwing hard 1-2 combos and kicks without setting them up. If you look at her other fights, she doesn't open up with her power strikes until her jab is landing consistently and she's got the range down. Her usual sequence is establish her jab and get it to land, add low kicks, then evaluate what the openings are and attack them accordingly. In this fight she went straight to "take Rose's head off" before she'd even established her jab and figured out the range.

On Rose's part, she had a good sense of distance and stayed outside the range of Joanna's jab to keep her from figuring out the distance of the fight. When Joanna got impatient and started throwing hard & missing, she was able to see the patterns in her strikes along with the openings which were available, then file it away for use when she saw the same setups again. When the same strike/combo was thrown at her again, Rose was quickly able to pick it up and hit the opening with a clean, well-timed strike. That's how she got the knockdown off the kick, a counter left hook when Joanna missed on a 1-2, and the finishing left hook that got her near the cage.

havent they allways trained kickboxing?

It could just be a stronger talentpool nowdays, but I do think training in striking is much more dedicated today than say in 2004. More time spent on it.

GSP looked alright. I mean, he looked very good considering it's been 4 years since he retired. No small feat coming back to that stage after such a long break, quite amazing actually. Striking wise he looked a bit slower than his younger self, but most improve seemed to be his power. He has found a way to sit down a little more and with the added weight it has paid off. He was starting to fade a little bit though, so I think it's a good thing for him he caught Bisping with that hook (big surprise), or I could see Bisping overwhelming him. It's obvious he worked on the overhand specificly for Bisping. He's always had a pretty hard overhand right. Jab was nice and long, and spearing, as always. Was very cool to see Roach in the corner!

Cody never jabs and hardly throws straights. He's always a little open in the pocket and uses flurries as hooks. The thing is, he is so fast and powerful that he gets away with it. He's also an excellent counter puncher, not at least in the sense that he doesn't mind taking one to give one either. This time it just didn't work for him. That combination that ended it could have gone either way imo, it was pretty random that TJ landed and not he other way around. The headkicks though, TJ set them up well. Cody has his hands down most of the time and it's a weakness coming over the top with the kick, especially as TJ is good at setting it up and Cody is mostly boxing orientated.

Joanna vs Rose was a surprise I'd say. I mean, I knew Rose had her best chance in the first as she always starts strong and Joanna always starts slow, but never expected that KO. Rose was looking really good before that point though. She was a lot tighter than she usually is, she moved well, she read everything and she had a great rhythm going with manipulating her weight around constantly. I kept commenting on how good she looked up untill the stoppage.

Joanna has shown holes in her striking defense before, she tends to get tagged on the inside and she doesn't really protect her chin that well. It's just that her last fight she looked so damn good against Andrade and used her range and movement so well staying on the outside. This was a very different matchup though. Looked like she expected the jab or something as she was pawing with the rear hand and then bam. Huge upset.

GSP looked alright. I mean, he looked very good considering it's been 4 years since he retired. No small feat coming back to that stage after such a long break, quite amazing actually. Striking wise he looked a bit slower than his younger self, but most improve seemed to be his power. He has found a way to sit down a little more and with the added weight it has paid off. He was starting to fade a little bit though, so I think it's a good thing for him he caught Bisping with that hook (big surprise), or I could see Bisping overwhelming him. It's obvious he worked on the overhand specificly for Bisping. He's always had a pretty hard overhand right. Jab was nice and long, and spearing, as always. Was very cool to see Roach in the corner!

Cody never jabs and hardly throws straights. He's always a little open in the pocket and uses flurries as hooks. The thing is, he is so fast and powerful that he gets away with it. He's also an excellent counter puncher, not at least in the sense that he doesn't mind taking one to give one either. This time it just didn't work for him. That combination that ended it could have gone either way imo, it was pretty random that TJ landed and not he other way around. The headkicks though, TJ set them up well. Cody has his hands down most of the time and it's a weakness coming over the top with the kick, especially as TJ is good at setting it up and Cody is mostly boxing orientated.

Joanna vs Rose was a surprise I'd say. I mean, I knew Rose had her best chance in the first as she always starts strong and Joanna always starts slow, but never expected that KO. Rose was looking really good before that point though. She was a lot tighter than she usually is, she moved well, she read everything and she had a great rhythm going with manipulating her weight around constantly. I kept commenting on how good she looked up untill the stoppage.

Joanna has shown holes in her striking defense before, she tends to get tagged on the inside and she doesn't really protect her chin that well. It's just that her last fight she looked so damn good against Andrade and used her range and movement so well staying on the outside. This was a very different matchup though. Looked like she expected the jab or something as she was pawing with the rear hand and then bam. Huge upset.
it seemed like that last hook cody threw wasnt placed properly or with the right form. Because it did land but had no effect.

it seemed like that last hook cody threw wasnt placed properly or with the right form. Because it did land but had no effect.

Yeah it's not often you see him landing clean and not rocking someone. Hard to tell why that was, maybe he just didn't have his feet under him properly, or it was the lingering effects of the headkick? He did get there first.

Yeah it's not often you see him landing clean and not rocking someone. Hard to tell why that was, maybe he just didn't have his feet under him properly, or it was the lingering effects of the headkick? He did get there first.
from what I could see it looked like he was winging the punch with his elbow down so it landed with his palm. I think if he had thrown it like a classical hook he wouldve knocked TJ down again.

from what I could see it looked like he was winging the punch with his elbow down so it landed with his palm. I think if he had thrown it like a classical hook he wouldve knocked TJ down again.
He tends to do that with his hooks. He hits with the palm a lot when he is flurrying with them. It was much more pronounced in his first few fights in the UFC though, but I guess it's one of those things you revert to in the heat of the moment.

You're right though that his wrist looked especially limp.

Actually looking back his short right hand is probably his hardest punch.

You can see a good angle of it @ 1:53 (edit - just noticed that you timestamped it there)

It was partially blocked/stifled (by accident or on purpose, doesn't matter because TJ's arm was up in guard by instinct as they swung) taking a lot of power and form out of it, allowing TJ to recover immediately and throw a reflex counter punch Cody wasn't ready for.

You can seea good angle of it a 1:53

It was partially blocked/stifled (by accident or on purpose, doesn't matter because TJ's arm was up in guard by instinct as they swung) taking a lot of power and form out of it, allowing TJ to recover immediately and throw a reflex counter punch Cody wasn't ready for.
Yeah looks like it grazed TJ's forearm, which caused the wrist to bend a little and it wasn't tight when he connected!

Yeah looks like it grazed TJ's forearm, which caused the wrist to bend a little and it wasn't tight when he connected!

Yep, you can see deforms somewhat as it slides up his arm. That takes the snap and power out

You can actually see if you look closely that the punch catches on the elbow first and then slides up the arm, causing the hand/fist to wobble like jello.

I'm still re-watching it.

Last edited:
Awesome card (with a couple of weird HW injury retirements during the prelims with Oleynik and Goodbeer).

Interesting in the title fights that the three shorter challengers all beat the taller champs that had the better perceived boxing skills.

GSPs left hook was nice

Yep, his boxing skill is better than ever, even though he's slower and has lost an amount of his youthful attributes. It surprised me because GSP has never been a short left hook kind of guy, let alone one that responds immediate and lands it naturally in the perfect little window of opportunity.

It was a smart move to train with Freddie Roach. Anyone else who wants to win in the UFC via the most efficient way possible should follow this example by hiring dedicated high-level boxing coaches to give them personal ongoing instruction.

Yep, you can see deforms somewhat as it slides up his arm. That takes the snap and power out

You can actually see if you look closely that the punch catches on the elbow first and then slides up the arm, causing the hand/fist to wobble like jello.

I'm still re-watching it.
yeah looks like you are right. if he wouldve thrown it normally it wouldve done alot of damage imo

I'm still trying to figure out how Rose threw that hook cuz it looked like it somehow got Joanna to react to it like it was a straight?

Joanna had her guard up but when Rose popped forward, Joanna extended her arm exposing her chain for the left hook. Was it the way Rose was throwing it or what?

Looks like that was only the start of her combo too. Lead hook>rear straight>round house. IDK why Joanna thought it was a left straight and extended her right arm to grab it but that's why she got wrecked

Watch TJ frame with his left arm before throwing that right hook. That's what fucked Cody up and let TJ land so clean.

Awesome card (with a couple of weird HW injury retirements during the prelims with Oleynik and Goodbeer).

Interesting in the title fights that the three shorter challengers all beat the taller champs that had the better perceived boxing skills.

Lead hooks, so hot right now

Back