What did you guys get on the MCAT?

I got a 32 about 8 years ago. Decided to get PhD in biochemistry instead.

My advice is just practice tests

Alright you godless plebes. This is my journey. In like... 60-ish days or so I'm gonna take the MCAT.

And yeah I'm having a bitch of a time with this shit. -_-

There's. So. Fucking. MUCH. I'm using Khan Academy and there's a good 500+ exercises about 10-11+ questions each, k.

But I'm also taking cell & molecular bio, and engineering physics w/ calc 1.

The physics and maths is not really an issue. All of this ties straight into the content that's on Khan Academy and most likely what I'll expect on the MCAT.

Right now I'm concentrated on.... enzymes. How they fit onto the active site and reduce the activation energy barrier to bring the substrate into an unstable/transition state. All that.

Today: Have a shit ton more notes to write. Have to finish up this reading section, do a lengthy review on the anatomy of the cell (golgi complex, smooth/rough e.r., lysosomes, vesicles, cytoskeleton, fluid mosaic model... all that fuck shit).

But yeah. I figured I'd post this in the more serious side of Sherdod...
I lecture both cell and molecular bio at two different universities. Sounds like you are taking a lower division combined cell + mol bio class, is that right? I hate going into details on enzymes in lower div classes because Km and vmax is something you really learn in a biochemistry class. Anyway best of luck. If you have any questions u can message me and I may be able to help or direct you to some great sources.

Im actually an mcat tutor. Scored 527 last winter.

ill take it as a compliment.

You posted about having below average stats for Canadian medical schools and asked for opinions about applying to Caribbean and international schools last year. Doesn't sound like someone in the top 99.99 percentile.

My original plan was to go to med school, however my GPA...is a little too low for Canadian med school...What's your opinion on Carribean?...What's your opinion on going to med school in western Europe? Is that a valid option?
Lol.

Looks like I lied. But i never considered that route seriously.

Well, if this is true, then you got an amazing score.

I spent 3 months full-time studying (40-45 hours weekly).

This is probably why.

Have you gotten any interviews yet?

Well, if this is true, then you got an amazing score.

This is probably why.

Have you gotten any interviews yet?
I had to go HAM on that exam. Canadian cycle is only starting now and I haven't gotten any interview invites from the US yet.

I had to go HAM on that exam. Canadian cycle is only starting now and I haven't gotten any interview invites from the US yet.
How many US schools did you apply to?

17, mostly top tier with a few mid-levels. Completed my secondaries in July-Aug.
It's been awhile, but I think you still have some time before you should start freaking out. If by some chance you don't get in this year, you can always reapply more broadly next year.

When I visited my girlfriends families house they accused me of never having taken the MCATS. Turns out they searched the wrong name. I actually scored higher than most doctors.

Do Carribean schools even care? Just show up and don't kill anyone.

I lecture both cell and molecular bio at two different universities. Sounds like you are taking a lower division combined cell + mol bio class, is that right? I hate going into details on enzymes in lower div classes because Km and vmax is something you really learn in a biochemistry class. Anyway best of luck. If you have any questions u can message me and I may be able to help or direct you to some great sources.
Yeah, Bio 223, it's the 2nd part in a 3-part course (222, then 223, then 221).

And yeah enzyme kinematics isn't really covered in too much detail in our textbook. I'm kinda just now wrapping my head around the "induced fit" part (I was given to believe that enzymes aren't altered in any way by the reaction, but it looks like I can mentally wedge this "change in conformation" "exception" into my head).

And wow!!! Thanks!!!! I really appreciate it.

Yeah, Bio 223, it's the 2nd part in a 3-part course (222, then 223, then 221).

And yeah enzyme kinematics isn't really covered in too much detail in our textbook. I'm kinda just now wrapping my head around the "induced fit" part (I was given to believe that enzymes aren't altered in any way by the reaction, but it looks like I can mentally wedge this "change in conformation" "exception" into my head).

And wow!!! Thanks!!!! I really appreciate it.
Yep. And it's both change in confirmation of enzyme and orienting substrates to the transition state via induced fit. But don't worry about how/ why if you haven't had biochemistry. Just learn the over conceptual results of enzyme activity and you'll be fine.

I had no ambitions of becoming a doctor the pay is relatively bad,the hours suck and hospitals are ground zero for terrible disease outbreaks.

doctors and nurses are in constant danger of catching some nasty disease like avian flu,tuberculosis or staph.

Back