What did Frank Shamrock do that Ken Shamrock didn't?

Ken Shamrock was way past his prime by the time he fought Tito. He was in his prime before he went to the WWE, then spent the rest of his prime in the WWE, and was a worn out athlete by the time he returned. The same thing could happen to Jon Jones if his suspension is for 4 years.

Edit: He'd had 37 total fights (including kickboxing, etc -- 35 in MMA alone), a pro wrestling career, and he was 38 just for the first Tito fight. For the last one, he was 42 years old and at 42 total fights.

I liked Ken back in the day, but damn it got hard to watch him as time went on. He combined lack of evolution, bad game plans, and terrible fight IQ all into one.

Unfortunately for him, his dumbest move was outside the cage/ring. He decided to sue the UFC for breach of contract for not giving him more fights after getting smoked by Tito twice in a row. He lost and was ordered to pay the UFC's legal fees, so basically blew the money he made from getting smashed by Tito.

Career/Legacy-wise he should have retired after the Frye fight. Even though he lost the decision you had to respect the shit out of both of them for that fight.

Money-wise he should have strolled into the sunset after the cash haul of the 2nd and 3rd Tito fights. He could have taken fights here and there if he wanted to, but he wouldn't need them. Hopefully he's doing ok, but he would definitely be doing a lot better if he had taken this route.

Last edited:
5lcbxj.jpg

245d3r4.jpg

there was a big fight back in the day between Frank and Ken with their adopted dad. It was about roids and I think it shows Kens work ethic. Ken did just enough and used things to get in fight shape. Where as Frank would work his ass off all the time. Between Ken and Frank I've always thought Frank was way more skilled, work ethic and had the better fight IQ. Frank always wanted to get better, I dont think ken really cared.

Frank was on a whole another level than ken ken was just buff and well rounded at the time a prime frank today woulda fucked this division up except jj he cant be beaten

Frank was prime when he fought Tito who wasn’t quite prime then yet but was when he fought Ken who was already past prime.

maxresdefault-2-2.jpg

I just want to say I have never seen a human being look like Frank Shamrock ever. Look at this dude.

Didn't Bas get his revenge against Frank but not Ken?

Not really relevant because both of them (Bas and Frank) were pretty green back then.
And it was under Pancrase bitch slapping rules.

Ken was much more experienced at that time.
Basically, Ken was the only super strong man who had a basic command of submission grappling.
Once everyone else learned a little bit about it, Ken really had no way of winning fights against decent opponents.
Ken would have gotten absolutely destroyed by the Bas or Frank that fought in the UFC.

Frank was a real martial artist. Ken did some martial arts but was more interested in selling himself as a brand.

Frank - real

Ken - fake

Ahhhh no...ken shamrock was a fighter and martial artist first and foremost..he just sold out to McMahon and fucked his body up...could of done alot better agaisnt tito if he didnt do those chairs shots,cage matches and hardcore matches in wwe..or wwf at the time..he ruined himself for what at the time was way better money.. But he was a great martial artist and fighter so was frank..probably the best brother combo outside of the diaz bros

A while back someone made a thread about how these days you don't see a whole lot of vicious ground pound finishes perhaps like back in the day, then it got me thinking.

When it comes to Ortiz vs Shamrock, most of you know how it ended, and it just puzzles me that Ken Shamrock is probably a better, stronger, less well rounded version of Lion's den product, but Ken Shamrock got his shit pushed in with Ortiz on top of him GNP, but Frank Shamrock didn't really get much damage.

If you watch the fight, it doesn't look like there's anything really different that they do...

Sherdog Holmes, get your little grey cells working

Frank Shamrock was the first modern MMA fighter, who was not only well rounded, but also in incredible shape. It doesn't get any attention today, because every single fighter now does it, but when Frank did it he was being cutting edge. A true pioneer and a true legend!!

Ken wasn't well rounded and didn't do all of the things that Frank did. He was still a badass and is still a legend!

Im not too sure about that. They stopped hanging out together because Ken was pro roid and Frank wasnt.
Frank was super juicy, just like everyone else was back then. Be real son.

They fought at the same time but Ken is 8 years older, it caught-up with him when Frank was still young enough to evolve. Also Frank was clearly the better and more well-rounded fighter, despite Ken somehow hogging most of the legacy.

Will someone please post the Bas Rutten gif?

Back