What could UFC do to bridge the gap?

OrigFan255

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score
Even though I believe that a UFC fight is WAY better than any boxing match could ever be, the facts remain that boxers still earn a lot more money.
Now the reasons could be debated for days.....Yes, UFC fighters put in just as much work as any boxer does but are paid FAR below boxing.

Soooo, my question to all is, would the UFC be better off modifying itt rules to meet in the middle OR, stay true to its roots and keep them as such?

Realistically, the rules of a true street fight have already been modified.... Stalling (AKA a Gracie principle for success) have already been eliminated.
They stand up guys that don't try and advance....(A good rule for entertainment)

For example:
MAYBE if two fighters decide to stand and trade, a 6-8 second count could be added BUT, a 3 knockdown rule also must apply in order to stop a fighter from resting by falling to the ground.

Look, I know that some of theses ideas are far fetched BUT, I see no reason why the UFC can not bridge the gap and have some very entertaining fights happen. Even if it means special rules fight like Pride. i am sure that the commissions can approve JUST a stand up fight between 2 fighters or at the very least, have 2 fighters verbally agree to NOT go for the takedown.

Honestly, I just want to see the UFC flourish and I want to see these warriors get their just reward for all their hard work
Boxing is boring and the UFC doesn't have boxings history.....Let's meet in the middle and ALL be happy!

You're misinformed. Boxers in general do not earn more money than UFC fighters. It's that the very top boxers make way more money than ANY UFC fighter. Boxing events are built around that one singular headliner, not deep cards. The overwhelming majority of boxers are just as poorly paid, if not more so, than the majority of MMA fighters.

Even though I believe that a UFC fight is WAY better than any boxing match could ever be, the facts remain that boxers still earn a lot more money.
Now the reasons could be debated for days.....Yes, UFC fighters put in just as much work as any boxer does but are paid FAR below boxing.

Soooo, my question to all is, would the UFC be better off modifying itt rules to meet in the middle OR, stay true to its roots and keep them as such?

Realistically, the rules of a true street fight have already been modified.... Stalling (AKA a Gracie principle for success) have already been eliminated.
They stand up guys that don't try and advance....(A good rule for entertainment)

For example:
MAYBE if two fighters decide to stand and trade, a 6-8 second count could be added BUT, a 3 knockdown rule also must apply in order to stop a fighter from resting by falling to the ground.

Look, I know that some of theses ideas are far fetched BUT, I see no reason why the UFC can not bridge the gap and have some very entertaining fights happen. Even if it means special rules fight like Pride. i am sure that the commissions can approve JUST a stand up fight between 2 fighters or at the very least, have 2 fighters verbally agree to NOT go for the takedown.

Honestly, I just want to see the UFC flourish and I want to see these warriors get their just reward for all their hard work
Boxing is boring and the UFC doesn't have boxings history.....Let's meet in the middle and ALL be happy!
The rules of UFC fights have nothing to do with fighterpay LOL.

Wtf are you talking about. Its the way the company is ran and the distribution of money being in favor of the company and not the fighter.

Kickboxing is already in the middle and is a niche sport...

They could be an accepted mainstream sport for 70 more years?

What do you mean? Kixkboxing is by far the worst payed of the three.

Thats my point.

Hes saying if UFC could bend the rules to be somewhere between MMA and boxing that would generate higher pay (presumably he thinks more interest), but kickboxing already is in the middle and it just isnt very big and the opportunities to make money are nonexistent. Its why we have kickboxing guys come over to MMA.

Tomato can boxers make shit wages

Superstar boxers put in so much work throughout a lifetime, more so than ANY MMA fighter period.

Most ammy boxers with a professional Championship future will put in 100-150 bouts prior to becoming a "Pro". Some MMA guys never even competed in the ammys and a lot of MMA fighters have less than 5yrs in the sport.

So Id say the top paid boxers are more deserving maybe...?

You're misinformed. Boxers in general do not earn more money than UFC fighters. It's that the very top boxers make way more money than ANY UFC fighter. Boxing events are built around that one singular headliner, not deep cards. The overwhelming majority of boxers are just as poorly paid, if not more so, than the majority of MMA fighters.
exactly

In addition to what others have pointed out, the way the top boxers are paid is structurally very different than how the UFC operates. I will defer to someone from the boxing forum who understands how it works in detail to explain it, but basically the UFC is a promotion and all fighters fight within that promotion. Bellator is a different promotion, for contrast.

In boxing things like the WBC or IBF are not the equivalent of the UFC. They are sanctioning bodies. Boxing promotions would include things like "Golden Boy Promotions" or "Mayweather Promotions".

The reason top boxers make so much more (I think) is because of direct business-to-business deals at the promotion level. In contrast, UFC fighters, even though they have a contract, are essentially employees of the UFC. They don't own their own promotion that negotiates deals directly and get huge slices of the pay per view pie.

So if you were to change MMA to be like boxing in a way that generates the same levels of money, it would look more like individual teams creating their own promotion companies and signing contracts to fight under the auspices of some given sanctioning body.

So for example Tristar Gym would create Tristar Promotions and negotiate directly with Jackson-Wink Promotions in order to put together GSP-Condit 2 on their own terms. The hole in that analogy is the sanctioning body, as I doubt if anything like this happens that the UFC would simply let itself become a sanctioning body. We would need something to grow out of NSAC or CSAC of the like to become a global MMA equivalent of the IBF, etc.

Back