What could RDA do differently if he rematched Colby?

fractal

93andbeyond.com
@red
Reaction score
Not saying that the rematch will happen. I was impressed with how Colby stiffled RDA's game by keeping the pressure and pushing him against the cage.
Yeah it was a safe tactic from Colby but he did what he had to do to win the title.

I expected RDA to circle better, which he did intermittently but couldn't keep it up for 5 rounds.

He did surprise Colby by going for the takedown initially, but again couldn't keep that going.

Also RDA's shot didn't faze Colby at all, which surprised me. But in hindsight, RDA is a small 170er and that makes sense.

Wrestlers at 170 will be RDA's kryptonite. If RDA were to rematch Colby again he'd probably have better luck in a 3 round fight.

Hes just to small for him. But what he could do is shoot for takedowns the whole fight. He started doing it later in the fight and landed all of them. Out wrestle the wrestler.

More takedowns to steal rounds and keep Colby guessing on the striking department and more lateral movement - at least this is what he should do.
But I think it would be a hard fight for him.

RDAs good when he's leading but he showed bad octagon awareness in there against Covington. Got backed up straight to the fence everytime. Did a good job circling out of the clinch but he should've been trying to avoid the grappling all together from a defensive standpoint. Either work harder to put the pressure on Covington or switch it up and play the matador and work on his defensive footwork.

Move forward and set the pace. Shoot for TDs early. Do everything he can to snatch the first 3 rounds on the score cards. Take off round 4 to rest. Fish for subs whenever possible. Burn out in round 5.

There are a lot more specifics that I could add but that's the basic outline

As much as I dislike Colby I need to say he is a quite good fighter. I don't see RDA winning.this fight by any other way than a KO. From what I saw - lucky punch KO.

do what he did in R4

Land more punches, submit him, or KO him.
Any of those three would do the trick.

tbh i've rewatched and thought rda fought pretty poorly considering. seemed to lose focus on his resets. reset weirdly. weird cornering. headcases that night. understandable.

Colby would adjust and beat him more decisively in a 2nd fight.

He needs to be lighter on his feet and not fear take downs so he can strike more but he let colby overwhelm him after that colby was glued. On to him he could only defend i was impressed by colby as he did nothing to rda the entire fight i felt he just was going for the woowoo score card but rda has great wrestling he needs to learn to use all of his tools and not rely on his pressure striking he should of grapple countered after his defending when he realized this guys gonna shoot in every second and made colby fear the take down also but idk rda showed alot of skill in defending but needs work on fighting a wrestler in the octagon

Lateral movement and working off of a jab and the occasional straight right. When colby gets close flurrying combos and then get out of range

Not a delightful way to win but would get the job done.

*Also, someone mentioned it - threaten the Guillotine when colby does get a hold of him and tries for the takedown.

Last edited:
Lots.

1. Use his offensive wrestling more. It was very good, when he used it in the later rounds.

2. Hit first. Don't let him put the pressure on, you put it on him.

3. Be more mobile, hit and circle out, never be in a straight line for very long. Straight line=TD/clinch.

4. Guillotine for fucks sake. Cody clinched him up against the fence for 70% of the fight...that choke was there, all day, everyday. Cody avoided this position with Maia (for good reason), for the most part. I do remember in one of the later rounds he had Maia up against the fence, in this position, and I was yelling at the screen for the guillotine...but Maia never tried. Oretga would snatch that neck up in seconds. Cody is still vulnerable for the choke, in that position. Very frustrating that RDA, with all that time in that position, he never tried (I recall ONCE he briefing did).

BlueAccurateBlackfly-size_restricted.gif

Last edited:
make sure the ref takes a point on the second groin kick.

Back