What comedian do you not find funny?

Observational comedy rarely succeeds with zero-conflict

In comedy training they tell you to locate a "problem" and explore its many surfaces. Daily anecdotes, media, social attitudes, etiquette, politics, you name it.

Mitch Hedberg's "clean" comedy (non-edgelord/less 'mean' material) somehow managed to skirt around the rules of conflict and wound up succeeding on word-play alone or absurdism --

-- but that's hard to maintain for an entire set so most comics stick to the structure of "I'm a curmudgeon, hear my list of complaints" because it's easier to string material along the same theme

but you can see where he hits traditional premises

(People calling dogs sitting "a trick" is wrong, he course-corrected that 'problem')

The type of jokes Mitch Hedberg used to do are called shower thoughts now.

Almost all of them. I'm old - seen it all before. It takes something pretty offbeat to surprise me and get laughs.

I grew up on Eddie Murphy, Dice, Kinison, Carlin, etc. You're not going to shock me with dirty words. That's why I like Norm Macdonald so much. You never know what he's up to.

I freakin' LOVE Norm McDonald. Especially his roasts... You've really gotta have balls of steel and a dgaf attitude to go up there, purposely bomb, and somehow morph an awkward silence into a laughing session.

All of the political late-night comedians.

I'm not a fan of Trump personally, but it's amazing how all these white 'comedians' could never make a joke about Obama for 8.5 years, although 'the president' has always has been the focus of late-night comedians for decades.

Now, oh, the President is back to being white, and Republican, and we don't like him, so its time to make up for lost time by making Trump the focus of most of our jokes. Let's roast him every weeknight, across all network, cable, and premium channels that has a 'late night comedy' talk show.

The sad thing is, Trump is a hilarious character with great material to put into jokes. But now its become a cliche.

Why???I haven't watched political standup for a while.
Trump is such an easy target right now. The White house looks like a zoo with his people getting fired/arrested/convicted left and right and he's giving punchlines away every day on twitter.

Rogan had this black tv writer who used to do a lot of stand up. One of his complaints was how everyone was doing the same shit in stand up as in trump jokes and it was getting old.

I am SOOOO tired of Trump jokes. And TRUST ME, I'm far from a DT fan.

It just comes across like everyone's virtue signaling and "playing it safe". Chappelle said "meh, give him a chance" and everyone lost their shit.

I don't like him, but it's a bit beating a dead horse. I mean hell, SNL literally does not do a single episode that doesn't start off with a Donald Trump skit.

I am SOOOO tired of Trump jokes. And TRUST ME, I'm far from a DT fan.

It just comes across like everyone's virtue signaling and "playing it safe". Chappelle said "meh, give him a chance" and everyone lost their shit.

I don't like him, but it's a bit beating a dead horse. I mean hell, SNL literally does not do a single episode that doesn't start off with a Donald Trump skit.

Yea I knew it was going to be an issue so I'm not really surprised.

tenor.gif

If we’re talking American comedians I’ll go Dice Clay and Rodney Dangerfield, maybe it’s an American thing.

Shame Stepehen Lynch never broke through, he was genius

Here he is explaining to his daughter why mommy left.

0:43

Anyone seen his first Comedy Central special ?

I freakin' LOVE Norm McDonald. Especially his roasts... You've really gotta have balls of steel and a dgaf attitude to go up there, purposely bomb, and somehow morph an awkward silence into a laughing session.

They want to murder you in a well.

Lewis Black
I love his segments on the Daily Show, but other than that, his yelling and whole personality is a gimmick, and I just can't stand by gimmicks. Yeah he's a mad guy, but he doesn't rave like that anywhere but on stage. I don't like it, and it got worn out for me after seeing his first special. I was like, "yeah, that's Lewis Black, I don't need to see another special of his." And that thought still remains true. I can't stand his delivery to this day, even when I try to go back.

Chris D'elia
I just don't get him, and I hear that a lot. Even in his special he admits that a lot of people don't get his comedy. It's like he's always referencing an inside joke that apparently the whole audience is in on, but not me. It's an odd show. Am I supposed to read something first before going, or is a social media joke? I just don't get it. Not mad, but not my thing.
Have you heard Black's old stuff? Like 90's old? By the time he did Red, White, and Screwed, his act was no longer funny. I think before that, it was pretty damn solid.

D'elia doesn't make me laugh, chuckle, or even smile. I do not get how he is funny, at all.

Apparently I'm living in a hole, because I don't feel like Trump jokes are played out in standup. If anything, there seems to be a major aversion to doing Trump jokes because it's expected. There isn't even a truly famous, definitive Trump bit out there. Maybe people are mistaking comedy news programs for standup?

Kevin Hart - just a bunch of yelling
Carlin - his specials bored me
Seinfeld - the least funny person on his show

All the shock comedians. They don't know how to be funny so they think of the most fucked up things to spout off in order to get a reaction.

Lewis Black
I love his segments on the Daily Show, but other than that, his yelling and whole personality is a gimmick, and I just can't stand by gimmicks. Yeah he's a mad guy, but he doesn't rave like that anywhere but on stage. I don't like it, and it got worn out for me after seeing his first special. I was like, "yeah, that's Lewis Black, I don't need to see another special of his." And that thought still remains true. I can't stand his delivery to this day, even when I try to go back.

This is part of the reason I don't like Ari Shaffir. He does an act where he pretends he's angry and it's kind of annoying.

Kevin hart isn't that funny. His new movie with that annoying black bitch is going to bomb.
Joe rogan has never said anything funny in his life.
I can’t believe someone actually signed off to go ahead with that movie.... that shit looks like hot trash

I’m a big fan of stand up, been going to live show since I was a teenager (over a hundred just that I’ve saved ticket stubs from)

Even the ones that annoy me like Jim Jefferies and Amy Schumer can spit some funny ass shit so I don’t get my panties in a bunch of I don’t like everything. In fact, I don’t even wear panties to shows anymore rawr

The only show I’ve seen live that got no chuckles or hardee har hars was this chick back in like 2004-ish Paula Poundstone. She was fucking smashed out of her mind on who the fuck knows what... and was lying on her back mumbling to the ceiling at the Improv. People started talking really loud and then just getting up and leaving. We were probably the 30th out of 300 or so in there to break camp so I can only assume the managers shut it down sometime soon after we left.
Oddly enough I saw her in Columbus at the funny bone years back and I’m pretty sure it was almost the exact same... she was fucking anihilated and we couldn’t understand a word she was saying... people were booing her like crazy

Back