What China has accomplished: Amazing

Amazing is what will happen when it all starts to fall apart.

Civil war ?

Mass famine, millions dead a day.

That's not how the Chinese owned debt works. They can't ask for it all at once for one. Second, their currency is directly tied to our economy because of the debt owed. If they tried to ruin the United States over debt, it would crash their currency. China can't and wouldn't have any interest in trying to do something like asking for their debts to be paid back.

That's not how bonds work. Nothing in bond contracts entitles you to "request payment" immediately from the issuer. You can sell your holdings for an upfront payment, and if China did that, it would be fine for us and disastrous for them.

I have to disagree here.

Good post Dredd - the quoted information. 'jgarner', and 'Jack_V_ Savage' should read it. Good information I was not aware of. Below is only part of it...

"The Pentagon did an evaluation on the risks posed by China's ownership of U.S. debt in July and came to the same conclusion: 'Attempting to use U.S. Treasury securities as a coercive tool would have limited effect and likely would do more harm to China than to the United States.' The bigger issue for the U.S., says John Frisbie, director of the USBC in Washington is the size of our fiscal deficit and the long term implications for the economy, not the level of China's debt holdings. Many worry that China’s ownership of American debt affords the Chinese economic leverage over the United States. This apprehension, however, stems from a misunderstanding of sovereign debt and of how states derive power from their economic relations. American debt is a widely held and an extremely desirable asset in the global economy."

I was not implying that China would get its money back all at once in one day. "If they tried to ruin the United States over debt, it would crash their currency." True. It would affect both parties. Kind of what happened with Trump when he got into financial trouble a few years ago. Still, any debt, foreign or domestic, reaching into the trillions is not a good thing in my opinion.

Back