What Can Cain Do Differently to Achieve Different Results?

I don't think Cain ever got the best of Werdum, but i agree that he was more effective early and then faded. Werdum just happened to be more effective over time. It's possible that Cain's deteriorating over the course of the fight was a result of being beat up. He was busted up pretty bad pretty early actually. That's a big question for me going forward. Was he really that adversely affected by the environment or is Werdum going to be that effective in a striking match again?
Good points.
It'll be interesting
"getting the best" might be a bit of a strong statement, I concede that. The first round was close, but Werdum took advantage of Cain's lack of headmovement and landed some strong shots. The second was all Werdum, incredibly impressive considering I don't think Cain has actually gassed at that point.

What I'm interested in is Werdum's age, it seems weird to say but it's possible to me that he peaked in the first Cain fight, I'm not going to be shocked if he's on decline both in durability and overall athletic ability.

I do think Cain has the tools to make the neccesary adjustments, he was succesful countering off Werdum's kicks, and early before he got tired he was fine in the clinch. It'll be a great fight imo

I don't think Cain ever got the best of Werdum, but i agree that he was more effective early and then faded. Werdum just happened to be more effective over time. It's possible that Cain's deteriorating over the course of the fight was a result of being beat up. He was busted up pretty bad pretty early actually. That's a big question for me going forward. Was he really that adversely affected by the environment or is Werdum going to be that effective in a striking match again?
the thing is... the HW division is all about match-ups.. and Werdum is a bad match-up for Cain coz he didnt fear his level changes... (Hell, Werdum would even pull guard to go to the ground.)

Thats why Werdum was able to let his striking go.

+ I believe Werdum did a good study on Cain, his tendencies. The guillotine was clearly a trap.

the thing is... the HW division is all about match-ups.. and Werdum is a bad match-up for Cain coz he didnt fear his level changes... (Hell, Werdum would even pull guard to go to the ground.)

Thats why Werdum was able to let his striking go.

+ I believe Werdum did a good study on Cain, his tendencies. The guillotine was clearly a trap.
And that's exactly what I'm saying. Werdum would love for this to go to the ground. When a guy whos facing Werdum usually relies heavily on his grappling, he's going to suffer everywhere because Fabricio's striking benefits greatly from it. That's why Stipe is a bad match up for Werdum, he would be content to stand for five rounds and Werdum can't get him there

PED's maybe?

raw

Pick his shots better. Cain was going at 100℅ even as he was visibly losing steam and power. He needs to pressure but allow himself to recover when his aggro game doesn't work.

He's way faster, has much heavier hands, if does not gass he should win this fight.

He's way faster, has much heavier hands, if does not gass he should win this fight.
Speed and pressure don't help if you're pressuring quickly into punches and knees

Speed and pressure don't help if you're pressuring quickly into punches and knees

Werdum is not a very good puncher, really slow, only throws arm punches, tends to close his eyes and look down when he get's pressured, Cain is the much better striker.

Werdum is not a very good puncher, really slow, only throws arm punches, tends to close his eyes and look down when he get's pressured, Cain is the much better striker.

Yea, Cain's striking isn't that great either. Tiny bit better than Werdum.
Cain is good at dirty boxing, but Werdum is good in the clinch too.

Who cares. He will pull out with an injury and Werdum will fight Roy Nelson again.

Cain showed last fight that he has some new tricks to his stand up. As long as he doesn't gas I think he can KO Werdum.

cain did not have much success standing with Werdum and got fucked up the worst in the clinch. He was beaten to the punch at range and ate knees in the pocket.

I do agree that fighting at sea level will benefit him, but what can he do inside the fight to give him a better chance at beating Werdum?

His heavy pressure is heavily reliant on his clinch and wrestling. It's completely nullified by Werdum. If he can't win the striking battle from distance I see a similar outcome

Fight at Subterranean level, even lower than Sea level.

2578133_42021f80.jpg

Fair take. I think whether or not the altitude affected his performance, Werdum was (and remains) an all-around bad matchup for Cain, and I favor him in the rematch.

That said, I think Cain's best chance is a patient striking approach on the feet and a very good strategy. It's not a lock by any means, but a more diverse arsenal, similar to what Cain showed in the Browne fight, could be beneficial. If Cain clinches up, grapples along the cage, or gets Werdum down, I think he'll need to throw punches at all times, in order to keep Werdum on the defensive-- preferably to close out rounds and sway judges. Working for better position would be nice, but he can't allow Werdum to get comfortable.

He needs to get his combination in and move out. In and out with his punches and kicks. He'll tag werdum with his strikes if he's patient. But if he fights like he did last time, he'll eat a lot of counters from werdum and will probably end in the same result again.

It's an interesting fight

Cain has always relied on pushing people against the age and holding them there and wearing them out with dirty boxing and then taking them down for GNP.

That's it. that's Cain in a nutshell.

Far as I know , he's never been up against a Muay Thai fighter like Werdum. And definitely no one even in same orbit as Werdums BJJ.

He's 34 and it might be hard for him to completely change the fighting style /routine he has done all his career just for one man. That's why I kind of thing Werdum is just his kryptonite.

Tough spot for Cain. He is clearly and amazing fighter but Werdums specialities are just tailor made to counter Cain.

Btw I'm firmly in the camp that Cain got injured prior to thier last fight. I train BJJ and to my eyes the way he moved , looked , and reacted is exactly the same way injured people do at my gym , including myself.

Not at all based on their last fight

Not at all based on their last fight

Cain only faded due to not being prepared for the altitude, whoever says that didn't make the biggest impact are just being dumb. When has Cain ever gassed like that before, he had brutal fights with JDS who is one the the physically strongest dudes in the division and was never even close to fading.

Werdum is going to get handled in this fight.

Back