What Can be Done To Resurrect The Music Industry?

Discussion in 'Music Discussion (BAM'S Bieberverse)' started by Blackjack, May 11, 2017.

1. Blackjack Black Belt

Blackjack
    We know piracy (I include illegal uploading and downloading as piracy) killed the music industry. The only bands making money now are bands that were already established before the explosion of internet piracy. Because of piracy, there is no real money in trying to rebuild the music industry now.

When a band got signed to a record deal in the 80s and up tp mid 90s you had tour support, tour busses, local A&R people, the whole nine yards, which was "artist development" but it’s all gone now. How important is artist development? Both Queen and Pink Floyd didn't have a hit album until their 6th or 7th album. These days, if you don't make it almost immediately, what's left of the record labels would drop you. They don't have the patience to nurture and development a Pink Floyd or Queen.

Back in the day Def Leppard said if they could get a few singles on MTV they’d be able to make it, and they did. That happened with a lot of bands who did that back then. Now we have YouTube but there are billions of videos and musicians on there and if nobody knows your name, nobody’s going to look you up.

2. Schoolboy Q Black Belt

Schoolboy Q
    Make grindcore mainstream.

ThulsaDooom, ObsoleteSoul and ssBaldy like this.
  3. Leonard Haid Minimalist Living the Illusory Dream

Leonard Haid
    I live in the past, musically. I can happily only listen to music made up till around 2007 for the rest of my life. At this stage the music industry can morph into anything, and I won't care. Hopefully the majority of those who really care about making good music will still always have an outlet. They may have to move somewhere else though, make some adjustments in their lives. But that's always been the case.

4. badascan Audacious Moral Nihilist

badascan
    The "record industry" generally pumped out cookie cutter garbage. DIY! There are plenty of bands making money while making music for themselves and their friends. Artists should make music for music's sake, not money.

If money is the goal then you better have some marketing skills or just plug away until something sticks. There is always the soul to sell...

cocksure and Post 2 Decision like this.
  5. Crimson Glory TMMAC

Crimson Glory
    It's better imo, if music is made without the industry that we used to know.

There will always be a way to record and release music, record labels aren't now and should never again be the only way to do this.

There was a time where record labels had you by the balls, because they had all the money, the connections, the influence, they were the middle man that made it possible to record quality records in expensive studios and marketed you too the masses. Zero talent for music most of these people have, but they held the keys.

The internet and other advancements in technology has changed more than just how we communicate or consume information. It's made making music more possible than ever. Alot of artists feel like piracy has only made being a musician harder, this may be true for artists that made millions off of record sales at one point in time, the artists that were crammed down our throats, but alot of artists made their money from touring, merch, etc anyway, they never expected to sell millions of records.

Most record labels just go with the trends, they expect artists to give up their dreams and passions to produce music that the masses want. Problem with that is, you never know what you want, UNTIL you hear it.

I think Steven Wilson is right in saying that, listening too your fans is the worst possible thing you can do as an artist... listening too a record company is even worse.

Last edited: May 14, 2017
    VinnieVincent likes this.
  6. Jackonfire Senior Moderator

Jackonfire
    The music industry can die for all I care. Artistic Development wasn't free. Bands got charged for that. It was often the case for newer bands to end up owing their label money for all that tour support, buses, A&R and the whole nine yards. Its how they got locked into ridiculous contracts which often killed creativity.

Its never been easier for musicians to record and release music on their own terms than it is today.

7. Crimson Glory TMMAC

Crimson Glory
    It's not cheap, but I've heard of somewhat established bands making their own studios, so they can produce music on their own terms and give the record labels a middle finger in the process.

Symphony X does this, Wintersun is currently in the process of building their own studio after a successful GoFundMe campaign and I believe Jari recorded both their self titled and Time I with his own home studio.

Not saying that every fledgling band(especially if you're a bunch of teenagers) can do this, but it's well within the realm of possbility to DIY and get your shit out there without having to worry about Suits coming in and meddling in your artistic vision.

The only way truly great, original music ever gets released is when record labels stay the fuck out of the studio.

Last edited: May 11, 2017
  8. fonzob1 Black Belt

fonzob1
    Bring back the music styles of the 70's, 80's, and early 90's.

ArchGoat likes this.
  9. Lionel Mandrake What A Rush!!!

Lionel Mandrake
    I've always thought that any (Big) company that produces products that can be tied to piracy (Microsoft, Samsung, Dell, Western Digital etc..) should be taxed 1% and have that money go to a fund that can pay musicians that get singed to a label. The more records they sell mixed with how many times their album has been illegally downloaded could decipher how much revenue will goes to the band from that fund.

I know their are a million variables here and trying to regulate it would be a receipt for corruption, but with a plan with roughly these ideas could really help the industry.

Blackjack likes this.
  10. Gorack Purple Belt

Gorack
    I have followed a number of smaller bands that have seen very little commercial success but still make a fine living by playing live constantly. They've culminated their own audiences through rigorous touring for years. They're probably not driving BMWs or whatever but I don't think every musician needs or deserves to get filthy rich off of their craft. Most of them do it because it's what they love and they'll often tell their audiences how much they appreciate them for allowing them to do what they do with their support.

A lot of bands just don't have the fortitude to go through the process. I've seen some great bands that have fallen apart because of addiction issues or infighting before they've broken out of the bar circuit. I've seen others that were playing frat parties and shows with a handful of people in attendance that now play to at least a few thousand people or more every time they take the stage. But those are the guys out playing over 100 shows a year, touring hard and growing their audiences organically instead of through radio play. Those kinds of bands have insanely devout fans and to me that's what it's all about.

I mean Iron Maiden and Prince have/had some of the most crazy devout fans I've ever seen for big name bands. But a lot of other big name bands just draw party crowds and types that rarely see shows who go just to hear "that one song." Meanwhile bands like Phish or The Disco Biscuits have fans that know their catalogues inside and out despite very little commercial exposure.

My point, I dunno other than the industry doesnt need saving. There's more types of music being made now than ever and there's tons of relatively successful musicians making a living doing what they love. I don't need to see a big rock star, I just want to see and hear great music being played and there's plenty of opportunities for that out there.

Crimson Glory likes this.
  11. Jack Reacheround Never Go Black

Jack Reacheround
    The music industry killed the music industry by wanting to control the trajectory of trends in music so that they never had to take a chance on a band. Now, they just churn them out like an assembly line of mediocrity, and pay the radio stations to play their songs ad nauseum until everyone is convinced that's all there is in the world of music. No more taking chances on a band that could really be special and change the pop music landscape. Because then, how would they be sure they would keep making as much money?

Crimson Glory likes this.
  12. IndyCovaHart Gold Belt

IndyCovaHart
    I pretty much live in the past anyway.

13. Brodels Purple Belt

Brodels
    I just got home from my second festival in a month. Things seem ok to me. This one had a ton of new bands.

14. MadSquabbles500 Gold Belt

MadSquabbles500
    Revive to what? Like it was back in the mid 90s with that crappy music? No thanks.

15. Gene Tunney Black Belt

Gene Tunney
    The same way that any industry is resurrected; Visionaries in key positions capitalizing on opportunities.

16. Winter-John Blue Belt

Winter-John
    After watching Shirley Manson talking about how the record industry treats musicians, it should be closed down for good.

17. ArchGoat Coldness in my heart.

ArchGoat
    mid 90s crappy music??

You must have been listening to the wrong music then some of the best albums came from that time.

HeLLMuTT likes this.
  18. cocksure Red Belt

cocksure
    Music as art, how it should be, uploaded and downloaded for free.
    Money isn't the motivation to make art.

19. Brodels Purple Belt

Brodels
    Kill all the millennials

ArchGoat and MadSquabbles500 like this.
  20. Soul Rebel 2 Black Belt

Soul Rebel 2
    Its not a practical strategy for modern musicians but, in the near future, robots are going to replace the majority of the work force. At that point the services that can't be offered by machines, namely creative endeavours (and repairs to said machines, of course), are going to become more and more profitable until we allow the machines to surpass us there too.

MadSquabbles500 likes this.