What Be the Purpose of Grammer

Meh. As long as I get what the person is trying to tell me, I don't care. I've worked in broken English environments my whole life. Go ahead, correct the grammar of an Indian guy who's 20 IQ smarter than you. Talk about pissing in the wind.

The difference between someone speaking English when it isn't their first language is often that the grammar structure is different in their first language. Language can be a dividing factor. My great grandparents came to the United States from other countries. I asked my grandparents why they didn't speak the language of their parents country. My grandfather told me that his parents didn't allow him to speak Norwegian. The children went to school and learned English then taught it to their parents. As their parents learned they worked to eliminate using anything but English. The way to fit into a community of people from many different countries and languages was to only use one language. They came to be Americans not Norwegians living in America.

I know it's insane. I'd be surprised if any other country has as many accents in such a small space. There used to a be a lot more but more generic ones have taken over larger areas. There is a website online with recording of old British accents/dialects and some of them are pretty hard to follow even for a native. And they're not even that old.

It just show how areas develop language and if there isn't much interaction between areas it can become so very different. Radio and television brought the actual sounds unlike printed media.

if you can't even spell words correctly than you are not long four this world

To separate the wheat from the chaff...

My sister has a masters in english and was the worst grammar nazi growing up. Constantly correcting me as a child. It was fucking annoying as fuck so i never did it to others but i definately notice poor grammar because of it. I think the most common offense is "Me and John" instead of "John and I"

Adults who can't spell are dumb.

It really is as simple as that.

Quit making excuses and go back to remedial school.

Why do people seem to care about it. When you having a convo with someone, isnt the point of the convo to understand each other and get your point across. So if I say "Joe Be wilding", why do people try and say that I should be saying "Joe IS wilding". Both say the say the samething, that joe is showing his ass and people understood what i was saying.

Plus with so many people speaking different langwhitch, how do you know which it the proper way. Do you correct people when they are speaking to you and you knows they aint from where u are or just think they dumb cause they dont use proper grammer.

Didn't know what Joe be wilding or Joe is wilding meant until I read this. Why not just say Joe is showing his ass if you want people to know what you mean?

It helps potential employers to decide which applications go directly into the trash bin. Same as neck/face tattoos.

I still don’t know what ‘joe be wilding’ or ‘joe is wilding’ means.

Why do people seem to care about it. When you having a convo with someone, isnt the point of the convo to understand each other and get your point across. So if I say "Joe Be wilding", why do people try and say that I should be saying "Joe IS wilding". Both say the say the samething, that joe is showing his ass and people understood what i was saying.

Plus with so many people speaking different langwhitch, how do you know which it the proper way. Do you correct people when they are speaking to you and you knows they aint from where u are or just think they dumb cause they dont use proper grammer.

The exact point of grammar is so there's a standard where everyone can understand each other in the most efficient way possible.

Just stopped in to brag about how I didn't read the OP.

Cuz what be the purpose?

Hey, baby, I hear the news keeps calling. Tossed salad and scrambled eggs. And maybe I sound a bit confused. Yeah, maybe. But I got you pegged!

Grammar Nazis are not coming from places of superiority, so don't infer inferiority. Grammar Nazis are discomforted by disparity and so they retreat to the rules in order to regain order. It's not the rules of grammar that insist you speak and spell correctly but rather, ironically, it is bad manners.

They're calling again. Good night, Seattle! We love you!

The point of grammar is to give a set of rules so people can easily understand each other. Case in point, I'm having some trouble figuring out exactly what TS is saying in most of his posts.

If a person went through the American education system, yet lacks proper grammar and spelling, it reflects that the person either did not pay attention during school or does not have the capability to acquire those skills. It also suggests that the person lacks attention to detail. In certain job settings, bad grammar and spelling would eliminate many people from being hired.

As someone eloquently stated above, rules are necessary to communicate clearly.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Username Required LMAO
Back