What average fighters do you think Conor would struggle/possibly lose to?

120wrestling

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
Conor is unique in the sense that he's beaten some of the best in division history (Aldo, Alvarez) as well as other top ranked killers like Poirier, Brandao, and Siver (who was ranked top 8 at the time). Yet have a loss to Nate Diaz who had been trashed throughout his career by any top 5 lightweight.

That brings the question, what guys ranked outside of the top 8 do you think would give Conor fits and trouble due to the style. Chiesa, Trinaldo, Hooker, Michael Johnson, Alex Hernandez (I'm listing them as an example of average/mid level fighters...not guys).

Sometimes the #15 guy can end up giving the champion more issues compared to the #2-6 guys

Unranked Gillespie.

Conor is unique in the sense that he's beaten some of the best in division history (Aldo, Alvarez) as well as other top ranked killers like Poirier, Brandao, and Siver (who was ranked top 8 at the time). Yet have a loss to Nate Diaz who had been trashed throughout his career by any top 5 lightweight.

That brings the question, what guys ranked outside of the top 8 do you think would give Conor fits and trouble due to the style. For example mid level guys like: Chiesa, Trinaldo, Hooker, Michael Johnson, Alex Hernandez (I'm listing them as an example of average/mid level fighters)

Nate has actually beaten many top 5 guys, fought for a title, was ranked in top 5 himself vs Conor. Not sure on what earth a guy that has been atop the UFC LW division for 10 years now is average. Especially when he has beat or would beat all the guys you’ve mentioned. Especially when it was at 170 and not 155z

The answer is, they would all be demolished by Conor.

To have a real chance against McGregor, you must:

1. Have a really strong chin and/or impeccable defense
2. Have some type of elite ground/submission game
3. Have really, really good boxing

Can't really think of any average/below average fighter that has enough of any of these to survive getting decimated by McGOAT.

Nate has actually beaten many top 5 guys, fought for a title, was ranked in top 5 himself vs Conor. Not sure on what earth a guy that has been atop the UFC LW division for 10 years now is average. Especially when he has beat or would beat all the guys you’ve mentioned. Especially when it was at 170 and not 155z

The answer is, they would all be demolished by Conor.

Nate has reached the pinnacle on one occasion, however his career is over shadowed with losses from top 5's like Gray Maynard, Clay Guida, Josh Thomson, Benson Henderson, RDA, and Rory (although it was at 170)

Nate has reached the pinnacle on one occasion, however his career is over shadowed with losses from top 5's like Gray Maynard, Clay Guida, Josh Thomson, Benson Henderson, RDA, and Rory (although it was at 170)

And you realize all of these guys were the top guys at the time? He arguably beat Guida and Maynard and eventually did. And Nate was young as hell? Younger than 25, no older than 27 in any of these fights except against RDA (which he was sick/injured for) and Conor? Hell he would’ve been champion of the WEC merger was delayed. He would’ve beat Stun Gun if it was a five round fight. Hell he would’ve beaten many guys if it was a five round fight.

Nate isn’t the best LW ever, but he’s a very solid fighter. The only reason he isn’t though is because of poor checking, TDD, and the fact he’s pretty much always working a round behind in every fight. His boxing and jiu-Jitsu are some of the best in MMA. To act like that threat is easily replicated against Conor from even top fighters much less average ones like you mentioned is ridiculous.

Last edited:

<mma4>

Interesting take. Carry on.

Kevin Lee might have a chance to beat Conor becuse of his wrestling but I'd still pick Conor to beat him because his chin is nothing to write home about. I think Khabib and Fergusson are the only ones that beat Conor at LW.

Answer is no. Person beating Conor at this point of his career would indicate that he is not an average fighter.

Hulk Hogan or Dwayne "The Rock" Johnson if Vince paid him enough to do so.

GTFO OP, you sack sucking hater.

Paul Felder would give him hell IMO

Ortega moving up could give him a hard time.

Duffy already did it..

In the UFC: Gillespie (I don't consider him avg though, but he is not a known name yet, so I included him on this list), Makhachev, Iaquinta, Hernandez, Hooker, Roosevelt Roberts, Te Edwards, Chris Fishgold

Outside the UFC: Primus, Nate Andrews, Akhmet Aliev, Luis Gustavo, Kleber Erbst, Mansour Barnaoui, Islam Mamedov, Amir Khan (not the boxer), Killys Mota

Micheal Johnson could land a bomb. He has quick hands and KO power.

I'd favor Conor but it wouldn't shock me to see him get starched.

Islam would beat dat ass.

Duffy already did it..

In the UFC: Gillespie (I don't consider him avg though, but he is not a known name yet, so I included him on this list), Makhachev, Iaquinta, Hernandez, Hooker, Roosevelt Roberts, Te Edwards, Chris Fishgold

Outside the UFC: Primus, Nate Andrews, Akhmet Aliev, Luis Gustavo, Kleber Erbst, Mansour Barnaoui, Islam Mamedov, Amir Khan (not the boxer), Killys Mota

You are out of your mind.

Chiesa? Lol, he just got starched by a "go to Bellator" Anthony Pettis, someone most Sherdoggers have somewhat rightfully claimed is washed up. Conor would sleep Chiesa.

I like Michael Johnson but he gets dragged into brawls and Conor's striking and movement is way too slick for MJ.

The other guys are too green but in MMA, anything could happen.

Ortega moving up could give him a hard time.

Ortega gets tagged easily but much like Khabib, if it gets to the ground, hoo boy good night.

Back