What are your top 5 open world games? (3rd person)

I don't know if I'd call any of the ME games "open world". You were still confined to a certain path, with hub worlds.

Dark Souls is up for debate though. It's fairly wide open.

I agree. Mass Effect and Dragon Age games are not open world. Very confined areas that are scripted. You could kind of go around and explore with the Mako and Normandy but most side missions reused assets, were underdeveloped, barren and you can tell they ran out of time/budget or both when adding them.

The actual main missions like Noveria, Illum the Citadel, Eden Prime, etc, were also very linear.

The Warriors
replaying-the-warriors-rockstars-one-and-only-licensed-game-818-body-image-1443079444.jpg

Freedom Fighters
4.jpg

Mount & Blade: Warband
D279373E8149712D5DAF703B0884DD8BA44FCCB3

Shadow of Mordor
Middle-Earth-Shadow-of-Mordor-New-Screenshot-shows-various-orc-character-models.jpg

State of Decay
jpg

Last edited:
The only 3rd person open-world games I've ever played all the way through are Saints Row 3 & 4, so I suppose those two by default.

Morrowind
GTAV
Fallout NV
Minecraft
Some MMORPG probably.

Fallout 3
RDR
Skyrim
Fallout NV
The Witcher 3

I'm kind of baffled by the fact that Witcher 3 was on a shit ton of people's top 3 favorite games list, but only on the front page of this thread once.

I did not include any Elder Scrolls or Fallout games because I play them first person and I think they're better that way. I also realized that as much as I like open world games, most of the best RPGs are not.

1. Witcher 3
2. WoW (haven't played in years, but also haven't matched that amount of fun in a game since)
3. Dragon's Dogma
4. AC: Black Flag
5. GTA vice city

Last edited:
Dragon's Dogma

is a good one it really needs a sequal imo

Witcher 3
Batman: Arkham City
Darksiders
AC: Blackflag
Sleeping Dogs

1. Red Dead Redemption
2. GTA IV
3. AC: Black Flag
4. Sleeping Dogs
5. Dragon's Dogma

I'd put GTA V right behind IV if I could if not limited to one choice per franchise (ditto AC Rogue). I preferred IV just a little bit more, though, due to the stronger main character, narrative, and then the two expansions. I'd give games like LA Noire and Mafia 2 an honourable mention I guess.

Its his opinion whats wrong with those picks?? We have one guy posting River City Ransom ffs and you find the OP's funny?? The hell?

You're right, Hyper. There's nothing wrong with someone picking any or all of those five games. They're all good games with lots to like about them in their own right. Some are even better than just merely "good", in my opinion.

San Andreas
GTA V
Saints Row 2
Batman Arkham City
Sleeping Dogs

Bully deserves an honorable mention. That game really should have gotten a sequel imo.

I don't know if games like Mass Effect, Fable, Fallout, Elder Scrolls, etc count but if they do than my picks would have been vastly different.

You're right, Hyper. There's nothing wrong with someone picking any or all of those five games. They're all good games with lots to like about them in their own right. Some are even better than just merely "good", in my opinion.

Haven't played all games ITT but I know @76Knockout posted games that are true open world and has a 3rd person perspective. That should be all that matters.

Seckzy list.

I don't have an order...

Mafia II
LA Noire
Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction
GTA 4/GTA 5
Saints Row 2

Then there's the Assassin's Creeds... Zelda: Twilight Princess... Watch Dogs.

At what point does an open world become a sandbox? Because Arma is pretty fucking dope.

Mercenaries: Playground of Destruction

This game was great. Way ahead of it's time. Dropping bunker busters on fools and leveling city blocks with bombing runs never got old.

Some fun vehicles too. Loved the Comanche Attack chopper. That thing was slick as hell.

Back