What are your thoughts on spinal flexion/rounded back strengthening?

STEVEN SEAGOLD

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
This has always been an interesting topic to me. I am aware of both sides of the spinal flexion argument. Stuart McGill, his body of work, the flexion cycles, etc... Bret Contreras & Brad Schoenfield's work on the topic, as well as Louie Simmons and Fred Hatfield endorsing rounded back strengthening. I understand the distinction between the thoracic and lumbar.. Not really disputing throacic flexion, more so moderate lumbar flexion.

I personally believe it's important to strengthen spinal flexion. I do cable crunches and seated rounded back good mornings (these are awesome). I used to do back extensions with weight, but my glutes got all the stress and my erectors lagged behind.

I feel it's important to strengthen this compromising position... I've met many strongmen who have said the same thing... I think the Atlas stone lift is the best example of strongmen doing rounded back lifting.

Here's a clip of a guy doing a heavy ass triple rounded good morning

Here's some old eliteFTS clip from the archive... Seated rounded back goodmornings... This is essentially what I do

Here's a video on the Hatfield Back Raise... Said it was one of those secret soviet exercises from back in the day.. Hatfield was a proponent of rounded back strengthening... Major thoraccic flexion, moderate lumbar flexion (hard to see with muscular backs)

Bruce Randall was known for rounded back good mornings... Doing over 600+ pounds
med_1186583070-ran11.jpg
RandallGM.jpg

Spinal flexion is common is combat sports... Olympic wrestlers particularly. Here's an old school clip of Russian wrestlers doing zercher deadlifts which are rounded back...

Here's the Bret Contreras Brad Schoenfield piece https://www.t-nation.com/training/to-crunch-or-not-to-crunch

MY CONCLUSION: I believe in strengthening spinal flexion, both abs and erectors. I think the whole anti-crunch thing is in relation to a lot of general population average intermittent gym goers who abuse crunches, have no glutes and posterior chain, and have terrible posture. My core philosophy in the gym has always been that there are inherently no "bad" exercises (actual exercises not bosu ball shit), just misunderstood ones. I am a big proponent of BTN pressing for instance. I believe it's all about balancing stresses to maintain integrity. Do too many bench presses and not enough rows, your shoulders will die. I advocate doing what works for you individually. I do rounded back seated good mornings and heavy cable crunches and feel no adverse effects. I can't say the same for everyone, but that's not up to me!

P.S. - Get some gravity boots and hang upside down from a chin-up bar/power rack. Decompresses the spine and allows fluid to the inter vertebral discs.. This is how they get nutrients and repair themselves..

Train it within your capacity. There is no reason to not strengthen your connective tissue in any ROM.

My comments on this.

Not every exercise is right for everyone. Some people need to avoid certain things. Other guys will have no problem with it.

If you have a compromised joint in your spine, putting load like that is gonna break you down.

Steroids help some of these guys recover.

Think about longevity when you train. Some stuff will catch up to you later.

Last edited by a moderator:
TS has an erection for erectors. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

If you're on the juice then you're gonna be able to handle some exercises that you wouldn't be able to handle without the juice.

This is just absolutely 100% false and I'm not sure what would have led you to think/post it.

Read what you just posted again and maybe you can clarify.

Then you're definitely going to need to explain how whether or not you're on steroids would affect your actual exercise selection.
On steroids your body will be able to handle more extreme exercises with more extreme loads day in and day out.

On steroids your body will be able to handle more extreme exercises with more extreme loads day in and day out.

What is a "more extreme" exercise?

You're correct in that your recovery will be better. It still doesn't affect excerise selection, though. You're just talking out your ass on that one.

What is a "more extreme" exercise?

You're correct in that your recovery will be better. It still doesn't affect exercise selection, though. You're just talking out your ass on that one.
Rounded back good mornings with a heavy load are a more extreme exercise. Some guys bodies will be able to handle it, some won't. And guys who are on the fence with handling it or not will be able to handle that exercise better if they are doing steroids.

Then you're definitely going to need to explain how whether or not you're on steroids would affect your actual exercise selection.
I imagine that his thought process is that it's easier for your body to repair itself when you're on the horse meat diet and it isn't worth it to undergo the stresses that some exercises put on your body without the juice to help you recover.

I don't know how valid that thought process. It makes sense to me, but I'm no groundhog expert.

Rounded back good mornings with a heavy load are a more extreme exercise. Some guys bodies will be able to handle it, some won't. And guys who are on the fence with handling it or not will be able to handle that exercise better if they are doing steroids.
This just isn't true.

At all.

I imagine that his thought process is that it's easier for your body to repair itself when you're on the horse meat diet and it isn't worth it to undergo the stresses that some exercises put on your body without the juice to help you recover.

I don't know how valid that thought process. It makes sense to me, but I'm no groundhog expert.

Exercise selection still doesn't matter.

Plus, yeah, AAS makes your muscles stronger, but (generally speaking) they don't improve ligament and tendon strength at all due to these tissues being largely avascular. Guy who train on steroids are at greater risk of injury, especially to tendons.

And guys who are on the fence with handling it or not will be able to handle that exercise better if they are doing steroids.

So, no. This statement is complete and utter bullshit to start, but, if anything, steroids would put said trainee at a greater risk for injuries.

wrestlers have bridged for thousands of years.

Zercher lifts are also popular amongst wrestlers.

Tommy Kono swore by doing SLDL with an extremely rounded back, straightening up one vertebrae at a time. Pavel has raved about Kono curls.

Coach Sommers has everyone working on Jefferson curls (deficit SLDLs done Kono style, one vertebrae at a time) at a pretty early level, eventually working up to bodyweight with the barbell.

Imo, it's one of the best things you can do.

Jump to 1:56 to see some of the crazy weights Sommer's guys put up:

Back