What Are Your Favorite Sci-Fi Movies?

Many have already named so many greats so I won't repeat. But I'll put a shout out to a great little gem people often overlook that has a wonderful Neo Noir feel like Blade Runner, but some themes similar to Matrix:

Dark City

I need to watch this again. I saw it around the time when it came out, but that was years ago. I remember really liking it, but I don't really remember to much about the movie itself.

Sunshine is hella under rated people get pissed with the ending but it's visually stunning.

sunshine-movie_00273645.jpg
Came in to post this.

I'm pretty forgiving if I like the story.
In spite of it's failures, I like Prometheus.
Really what kills a sci fi faster than anything for me is bad physics.
Star Wars, I can only tolerate because it's tradition for me, first film I ever saw in a theater. It has terrible physics, but I ignore it well enough.

Agreed. Bad science is bad. SW can be considered "half fantasy..."

Anywho, I did like Prometheus a lot. Didn't personally find much to complain about, tbh.

Fuck Prometheus such a disappointment

^ why is that?

EDIT1: I'm watching the video right now, and will possibly re-phrase my question.

EDIT2: Just watched it.
The dude is thinking too much into it, imho. While the only person truly knowing the real cause of the Engineer's actions would be the author of the plot, I think the Engineers were not trying to wipe out humanity on that particular planet, they were experimenting with biological weapons or what not.
iirc these fooks were the experiment:
hqdefault.jpg

Now, my second thought on the vid is, try being woken up by some "midget looking alien fooks" and see how you react.

My thoughts on that:
*The engineer was in panic mode before he went to cryostasis, he WAS escaping from the snaky fooks (the in-spoiler image).

*Later on (these days), the engineer is woken up by some other fooks, who may or may not be the descendants/cousins of the snaky fooks. What do you do when in potentially hostile territory surrounded by some fooks with "potentially dangerous" weapons, with no tactical knowledge of potential presence of additional fooks down the hall?

WWJD? He might fill the room with uppercuts or touch some fooks with teh jab. Even if those fooks started speaking his language.

Anywho, just my 2 cents of tldr.

Last edited:
im sure most of the ones i like have been said

ill go

Elysium
Oblivion

I actually liked The Europa Report as well.
Star Wars 4 & 5
Rogue One
Ex Machina
Interstellar
Europa Report
The Martian
Dredd
Sunshine
Moon
*bro five

Great list, The Europa Report is actually a pretty special film imo. Definitely left me with a sense of wonder which is the ultimate achievement for any scifi flick.

Many have already named so many greats so I won't repeat. But I'll put a shout out to a great little gem people often overlook that has a wonderful Neo Noir feel like Blade Runner, but some themes similar to Matrix:

Dark City
I think there were two versions of Dark City one with voice over *that spoiled the twist at the beginning and one without. I was lucky enough to see it first time without the voice over.

*thats what internet says

edit: imdb says directors cut doesnt have opening monologue

Metropolis
Signs
Arrival
The Iron Giant
La Jetee
Blade Runner

Ghost in the Shell is criminally underrated. One of the GOAT sci fi movies.

Primer
The Thirteenth Floor
Event Horizon

There's more I can't remember right now.

Moon
Wall-E
Mad Max 2 (if that counts)
Fifth element
Ex Machina
T1 and T2
Robocop
Arrival (fresh but good)

I watched Finchers Dune over the weekend. I fucking love that film regardless of it's many, many flaws.

hqdefault.jpg

"Father the sleeper has awakened!" ah good stuff.

Alien is one of my all time favorites. God I love that movie so much.
I generally like sci-fi movies that explore humanity's purpose and place in the universe like Interstellar, 2001, but not sure I would call them my favorites.
Arrival was great and I keep thinking about it, but I might need to watch it again and ruminate on it some more.

Solaris
Stalker
Blade Runner
Children of Men
Alien (more of a horror movie. Aliens is pure action, not sci fi)
Robocop (more satire than sci fi)
Planet of the Apes
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Dark City
It was shot on the same set as The Matrix, which is part of the reason they both look so similar. Great movie.

Back