What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

The prequels are awesome. A series of like one off adventures. There's a new one that just came out a few days ago. Also his other series starting with age of myth. It takes place in the past and features historical figures from the first series. I really like sullivan.

Yeah, the Age of Myth books and the rest of the Legends of the First Empire series are on my wishlist. When I was reading the synapsis was pleasently surprised to see it take place in Elan and Persephone.

Heard some good stuff about Scott Lynch and The Lies of Lock Lamora in the Gentleman Bastard series.

I've missed a lot of sci-fi and fantasy over the years and need to catch up.

The first 200 or so pages were great, but it's really slowing down a lot, and not sure I like the direction it seems to be going in. A bit too samey compared to thw previous CW trilogy. It is a Commonwealth book, so i will definitely finish it so i can read the inevitable sequel.

Just finished Oathbringer, it was good but probably the weakest of the three books so far.

Just about to start The King Killer Chronicles.

i just read artemis and really liked it. read the martian 2 years ago before the movie came out.

Just finished up All These Worlds, the last book in the Bobiverse trilogy. I really enjoyed this sereis and it wrapped up well. I guessed most of the ending, but it played out better than I was expecting.

upload_2017-12-16_12-42-52.jpeg

It hit a bunch of sci-fi check marks. Lots of space travel and exploration, revisting Earth after 50 years to find WWIII has ravaged the planet into a nuclear winter with <1% of the population left, sentient life on other planets, teraforming, enemy competition from earth, and going to war with a more advanced alien race.

I’m reading the Blood Song trilogy again.

I have the two new Anthony Ryan titles on my kindle as well. My wife read both of them already. She said they’re good but not as good as Blood Song.

I am currently re-reading "The Remaining" series by DJ Molles. If you enjoy post apocalyptic fiction then I highly recommend it.

511gb5t2xEL._SX314_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

61QA2ffwWlL.jpg

id bet that most of you guys have already read this series, but if not, its F'ing amazing. i listened on audible. the narrator is great and does different voices for each character.

61QA2ffwWlL.jpg

id bet that most of you guys have already read this series, but if not, its F'ing amazing. i listened on audible. the narrator is great and does different voices for each character.
It’s a great trilogy. I’ve read it twice. Very addictive, I couldn’t put it down.

Best Served Cold is another stand-alone by Abercrombie that is excellent.

i have been a complete fucking slacker, i really want to get to 'three-body problem.' like soon. probably over the christmas weekend.

It’s a great trilogy. I’ve read it twice. Very addictive, I couldn’t put it down.

yea ive read all of the sequels and extras. i hear he's working on another trilogy in the same "world." hopefully we get it soon.

Just finished up Iron Gold, the follow up from the Red Rising Trilogy.

upload_2018-2-8_9-6-35.jpeg

Loved the book. Previous trilogy only followed Darrow, so it was nice to get some different perspective on what's going on in the world by following Darrow and 3 other characters. The only problem with that it was essentially 4 different stories, all of which ended on separate cliff hangers.

Other than wanting more out of each story arc, it was a great entry back into the rise and fall of Gold and how the Republic is on the brink falling apart after 10 years of war. I didn't think the first outing into a new trilogy would end with such big cliff hangers, so now I'm drooling over the next installment. He made a statement last month that it's due out in September, so at least it's not years out.

There is no way Cassius is dead. He deserves a much better exit than "Your friend died in surgery....Sorry".

11/22/63 by Stephen King

Dude goes back in time to stop JFK assassination. I’m about halfway through and it’s already my favorite King book. The guy is a really underrated Sci Fi author. His story “The Jaunt” is one of his best work and I think it’s main inspiration was the sci fi classic The Stars my Destination.

Best Served Cold is even better than the first law trilogy. I tried reading The Heroes and lost interest about 60% in.

Logan Ninefingers and Glokts were such great characters

Best Served Cold is even better than the first law trilogy. I tried reading The Heroes and lost interest about 60% in.

Just started The Blade Itself due to recommendations in this thread. I would have started it earlier but I didn't want to be deep in a trilogy when Iron Gold came out.

Yeah I gave up on heroes as well. I don’t think I made it as far as you did.

Since @Zer has @thebluerider chained up in the basement and doing only god knows what to him, I'll champion this thread.

In this thread, we discuss what we are reading, makes requests, and generally talk sci-fi/fantasy novels.

I finished Fatherland, more an alternative history where the German won WW2, and a murder happens just before Hitler's 75th birthday. Solid book.

About 1/2 way through Critical Failures 3. Really, really fun books, where a group of Cavern and Creatures (basically dungeons and dragons) players get transferred by magic dice to the gaming world.

Thinking about Dragons of a Fallen Sun next. I enjoyed the dragonlance novels as a kid and never picked up this series. Anyone read it?

Oh, and if you have not read Altered Carbon- you suck. go read it and then and only then may you return.

The first three books in the Dragonlance Chronicles are hard to beat. I recommend the "Twins" series.
Forgotten Realms has some killer reads, too.

I didn't care for "Fallen Sun."

Just finished up Iron Gold, the follow up from the Red Rising Trilogy.

View attachment 336491

Loved the book. Previous trilogy only followed Darrow, so it was nice to get some different perspective on what's going on in the world by following Darrow and 3 other characters. The only problem with that it was essentially 4 different stories, all of which ended on separate cliff hangers.

Other than wanting more out of each story arc, it was a great entry back into the rise and fall of Gold and how the Republic is on the brink falling apart after 10 years of war. I didn't think the first outing into a new trilogy would end with such big cliff hangers, so now I'm drooling over the next installment. He made a statement last month that it's due out in September, so at least it's not years out.

There is no way Cassius is dead. He deserves a much better exit than "Your friend died in surgery....Sorry".

I read it pretty quick after it dropped. I enjoyed it, but unlike the other books, I didn't think it was a great stand alone book. I still have high hopes for the triliogy, but it felt like half a book.

Back