What are you reading? Sci-fi/fantasy edition

R Scott Bakker's The Darkness That Comes Before. Not for the faint of heart.

Red Mars trilogy by KSR. On Blue Mars now. Very slow, but if you want realistic sci fi then it's spot on.

I'd describe this as Spinal Tap meets Game of Thrones/Fellowship of the Ring.

30841984.jpg

Clay Cooper and his band were once the best of the best -- the meanest, dirtiest, most feared crew of mercenaries this side of the Heartwyld.

Their glory days long past, the mercs have grown apart and grown old, fat, drunk - or a combination of the three. Then an ex-bandmate turns up at Clay's door with a plea for help. His daughter Rose is trapped in a city besieged by an enemy one hundred thousand strong and hungry for blood. Rescuing Rose is the kind of mission that only the very brave or the very stupid would sign up for.

It's time to get the band back together for one last tour across the Wyld.

Last edited:
His other trilogy was pretty good too. Half a king/war/world etc. The short story book is also fucking awesome. Sharp ends. Has some Glotka when he was young and a bunch of other characters. There's also a few with 2 new female characters which I liked.

Just read Kings of the Wyld which was similar in vein. Really enjoyed it. 2nd one is out soon.

Just reading Kings of the Wyld myself right now and loving it.

Hope it gets a mini series or film adaptation.

Bloody Rose is out August, got my preorder in.

Finally getting into The Dresden Files. Heard lots of good things about the series. Enjoyed the first book, hopefully it stays enjoyable.

Came here to wax lyrical about the books. Recommend the audible versions, James Masters is a great narrator.

I'm on the last one and it's as good as all the others so far.

Just finished up a few books.

Elantris

I thought the book was good. Really good job world building and characters, but there was no real battles until the very end. I still enjoyed it because the story was really good, but it kind of felt like a chess match moving pieces into position without actually making any moves until the last few chapters.

The Crown Tower

I loved the Riyria Revolations, so it was great jumping back into the world with some prequel novels on how the Riyria duo got their start. I was holding off on starting these to finish up some other stuff, but reading this on vacation just makes me want to buy up the rest of the prequel novels.

Just started The Three Body Problem. Heard a lot of really great stuff about this series. The last few books I've read were fantasy, so looking forward to some scifi action.

Just finished up The Three Body Problem.

Great book, but felt pretty lost for the first half. I feel like I would have enjoyed the book more if I went in completely blind. Just reading the synapsis tells you what the major plot is going to be, but you don't find out in the book after the half way point that you start to put together what's going on, and then it isn't until closer to the end where they really reveal the full scope. I found myself trying to force the clues you were given into what I expected to happen. I was pretty pleased when they finally connected all of the dots. Really looking forward to starting the next book.

I found it poetic that the reasons that Ye Wenjie sent the message to invade earth was the exact opposite view as the Trisolarin to send the message back with "Do not respond". I have to find those parts again, but they were almost verbatim, just complete opposite view point

Just finished up a few books.

Elantris

I thought the book was good. Really good job world building and characters, but there was no real battles until the very end. I still enjoyed it because the story was really good, but it kind of felt like a chess match moving pieces into position without actually making any moves until the last few chapters.

The Crown Tower

I loved the Riyria Revolations, so it was great jumping back into the world with some prequel novels on how the Riyria duo got their start. I was holding off on starting these to finish up some other stuff, but reading this on vacation just makes me want to buy up the rest of the prequel novels.

Just started The Three Body Problem. Heard a lot of really great stuff about this series. The last few books I've read were fantasy, so looking forward to some scifi action.
Yeah I just got the Disappearance of Winters Daughter. Gonna be a rainy few days so I'm looking forward to reading it. His other series is cool too. Age of...etc. New one of those is out soon.

Just finished up The Three Body Problem.

Great book, but felt pretty lost for the first half. I feel like I would have enjoyed the book more if I went in completely blind. Just reading the synapsis tells you what the major plot is going to be, but you don't find out in the book after the half way point that you start to put together what's going on, and then it isn't until closer to the end where they really reveal the full scope. I found myself trying to force the clues you were given into what I expected to happen. I was pretty pleased when they finally connected all of the dots. Really looking forward to starting the next book.

I found it poetic that the reasons that Ye Wenjie sent the message to invade earth was the exact opposite view as the Trisolarin to send the message back with "Do not respond". I have to find those parts again, but they were almost verbatim, just complete opposite view point
Amazon wants to make a series. Not sure if a deal is done. Estimated to cost a billion to make.

Took a little break from grimdarks and read the Legend of Eli Monpress series. I loved it. The world and magic system was interesting and cool. It was light, whimsical, clean, funny, and a fast read. I highly recommend it. First book is the Spirit Thief. You'll know if you're gonna like it after the first chapter. I've got the file if anyone wants.

Also just changed my name. Anyone read the books where it's from? many likes to who gets it.

I bought this, haven't started reading it yet but heard nothing but great things.

Just finished The Last Arugment of Kings, the last book in the First Law Trilogy.

61fZ2jSwGUL.SX316.SY316.jpg

Really fantastic book to end the series. It ended a little ubruptly and didn't quite get the closure I was expecting in an epic trilogy, but there was more than enough closure that I didn't feel like they left a giant hole. Bayaz was a straight up pimp in the end. I thought he was just an arrogant dick bag through the series, but he striaght up owned/played everyone that you have to give me all the props. My favorite character through the series was Glotka, so I loved that he essentially had the happiest ending of pretty much everyone.

The only thing that didn't quite live up to what was built was:

Unveiling that Tolomei had been with them from almost the begining to try and get The Seed. I knew something was wrong with Quai, but I thought maybe an Eater. When it was unveiled to be Tolomei, I was pretty jazzed, especially when she told them how long she had been with the group. But after essentialy being there since half way through the first book it wasn't even a major plot detail and felt overshadowed by the other major battles going on during that time. It did serve to prove how ruthelss Bayaz really was, since it was all speculation how she died up until that point, but it just didn't seem to get the attention that it deserved."

Going to start The Midnight Front from the suggestion in this thread. Really excited for this one to try to get the wife to read with me.

have you read the rest of the first law books like "the heroes" and "best served cold?" they're very good, and continue on with the first law trilogy story.

Reading Dune. Pretty hyped about Denis Villeneuve doing the movie.

have you read the rest of the first law books like "the heroes" and "best served cold?" they're very good, and continue on with the first law trilogy story.

I actually just picked up Best Served Cold on Sunday. It's going to take a bit for me to get to it though since I picked up the second book in the Three Body Problem, Age of Myth, and Hell Divers. I have the 3rd book in the Dark Tower series on hold at the library going to hit any day now. I wasn't planning on picking up Hell Divers, but its pretty short and I could squeeze it in before Wasteland hit from the library. I'm really glad I picked it up now, all I want to do is slink away from my desk and finish it up.

Going to re-start/re-read the X-Wing series.

Just started reading The Gates by Ian Rob Wright.

Think World War Z but with demons and hell gates instead of zombies. Really enjoy it so far, on book 2.

Just finished The Dark Forest, the second book in the The Three Body Problem trilogy.

27914988.jpg

Really digging this series. Really deep sci-fi with some really wild plot detials that happen early on that leave you thinking "WT Fuck does this have to do with anything?!?", to have them meld back together in the end. With the first book I knew the basic premis, and I don't think I enjoyed the book as much as I could have because I was trying to make the completely random events fit a narrative and found myself trying to hard to guess the outcome than enjoying the story. This book had a much different feel, but similar in the sence that small pieces of a larger puzzle are slowly fed to you knowing they will eventually all fit together. With this book I gave up with trying to guess the outcome and just enjoy the ride and I enjoyed it a lot more. Can't wait to dive into the thrid book, but have The Wastelands from the Dark Tower series from the library I have to get through first.

I've been reading a lot of stuff recently but no sci-fi or fantasy

Decided to buy Heir to the Empire, the first of the Thrawn books from dat Stars Wars Extended Universe. Not a big Star Wars fan but I heard the books are quality

Back