What Are You Listening To? (Vol.15)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have Speed Metal Symphony. Friedman's chops are just a little tastier, if slightly less technically jawdropping than Becker's, but really they're both outstanding axemen. Love the old Shrapnel era.
Racer X as well?I'm mean Paul Gibert & Bruce Bouillet,another phenomenal tandem.Teacher and student shred fest with staccato picking like men possessed!

Racer X as well?I'm mean Paul Gibert & Bruce Bouillet,another phenomenal tandem.Teacher and student shred fest with staccato picking like men possessed!
Yeah, it's good stuff. I have the Paul Gilbert instructional video, the dude can play. He's a really good instructor, (unlike YJM) and breaks things down into digestible bits.
I just saw Dokken a few months back (took the long bitch drive down into Sac to see them) and Lynch's replacement was burning it up. Jon Levin does Lynch better than Lynch these days. And I'm not bashing Lynch, he is in my top ten. Don's voice isn't what it used to be though. Still, was a good show, I'm a guitar fanatic, and the rhythm section was like a battalion, very heavy like artillery.
Like Don says: "the only reason you don't hear guitarists play solos anymore isn't because it ain't cool, it's because they cant". Paraphrasing, but close.
It takes time (a lot of it) and patience and a lot of practice to play like that. Cleanly, as half the struggle with the electric guitar is "harnessing the power" and getting only the notes you intend and nothing else out of your amp. I don't know whether or not you play, but every single little touch gets amplified, and gain makes it harder to control. Even with the compression up front, it's tricky. I'm rambling, though.
It's cool to see someone that appreciates old school metal with blistering guitarwork.
Cheers!

You look at the man, and you know he is an axeslinger.
His music is too eclectic for my taste, but damn, Vai is one of the best. I like just listening him talk, very humble and in possession of tremendous insight.
I find that the greats are usually like that; it's like they know that what they are doing is bigger than themselves..

R-2475324-1340509581-3765.jpeg.jpg

You look at the man, and you know he is an axeslinger.
His music is too eclectic for my taste, but damn, Vai is one of the best. I like just listening him talk, very humble and in possession of tremendous insight.
I find that the greats are usually like that; it's like they know that what they are doing is bigger than themselves..
I love Vai but he's never been one of my favorites only because so many of his songs are just so " out there"for a lack of a better term.But others are just virtuoso like it's hard not to enjoy some of it.Plus as you said he's so humble without the need to be so he's got the cool factor.:cool:

Yeah, it's good stuff. I have the Paul Gilbert instructional video, the dude can play. He's a really good instructor, (unlike YJM) and breaks things down into digestible bits.
I just saw Dokken a few months back (took the long bitch drive down into Sac to see them) and Lynch's replacement was burning it up. Jon Levin does Lynch better than Lynch these days. And I'm not bashing Lynch, he is in my top ten. Don's voice isn't what it used to be though. Still, was a good show, I'm a guitar fanatic, and the rhythm section was like a battalion, very heavy like artillery.
Like Don says: "the only reason you don't hear guitarists play solos anymore isn't because it ain't cool, it's because they cant". Paraphrasing, but close.
It takes time (a lot of it) and patience and a lot of practice to play like that. Cleanly, as half the struggle with the electric guitar is "harnessing the power" and getting only the notes you intend and nothing else out of your amp. I don't know whether or not you play, but every single little touch gets amplified, and gain makes it harder to control. Even with the compression up front, it's tricky. I'm rambling, though.
It's cool to see someone that appreciates old school metal with blistering guitarwork.
Cheers!
Yeah hard not to give mad props to Lynch.He's definitely one of the greats back in the day.Who was on drums and bass when you saw Dokken?I know Wild Mick Brown was with Ted Nugent for a while & I've no clue where Jeff Pilson is.This chick I was "friends"with dated Don Dokken on and off for years,I guess he's an egomaniac..lol..still!
By the way mate..you ramble on!I can talk metal for days!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back