What are the main reasons why white belts quit BJJ

Damn it. Do I have to start ranting about the cost of entry to BJJ and why keeping it high hurts the popularity of the sport again?

Bottom line. The cost is too high.

You may argue that the if there's no passion, everything is expensive. Yes, that's true.

However, how many of you know somebody (or yourself) that have membership to 24hour Fitness or Balley's or other gyms but NEVER go to gym? You have to ask yourself, why don't they just cancel it? The reason is because it relatively cheap or affordable to keep the membership current. He/she knows that if there's an itch to go workout, it's available.

Whereas BJJ, the monthly cost is significantly higher, we're talking about $20-$30/month to $150-$200 a month, there's not an lot of incentive to keep the membership current if you want to take a break. And if you have that itch, you're more likely to find an alternative than going back to BJJ.

BJJ is one of those things where you'll like it the more you do it. Again, by keeping the barriers to entry high, it really eliminates people's desires to even want to try it out for a year.

I agree with this. also tournaments can be up to 100 dollars and usually are around 60 to 80 for mediocre tournaments where you might have 3 matches at the most.
i have never seen a sport that has made competitors pay this much just to compete

Working two days a week isn't exactly feasible for most people. So, what do you say about the average guy (like me) who has mouths to feed? Should I say fuck it and work part time so that I can train 25 hours a week? Celibacy for BJJ? WTF is the matter with you?

Two days a week is enough for renting a small place (I lived in 3x2m room for about 4 years doing my BA and MA - it's no big deal), eating well, paying gym fees, fuel for a 125cc motorcycle, and having a little to spare.

So, what do you say about the average guy (like me) who has mouths to feed? Should I say fuck it and work part time so that I can train 25 hours a week?

I'd say you've made your bed already. For an unattached guy in his early twenties I can make my bed however I want. Anyway my point was that everyone can find enough time to train, if they have the dedication - there's no reason that anyone can't train at least three times a week, as I see it.

Celibacy for BJJ? WTF is the matter with you?

It's really not difficult, in fact it's just a non-issue for me now. Historically plenty of warrior cultures have practiced celibacy - the Spartans, the Vikings of Jomsborg, members of Medieval knightly orders, et cetera. It's only modern Western culture that dictates that you're "weird" if you aren't sex-obsessed like a rutting animal. Not that I'm going to say "no" if a woman is offering her pussy on a silver platter, but otherwise I don't have the time.

I have been mulling on this point since the Blue Flu thread. Jag and some others brought up playing guitar. Would anyone begin to learn guitar theory, learn a few chords and scales, then just quit taking lessons, and playing guitar, forever?

Yes, they would. Many people do. They see how much effort and time it would take to really get good, so they quit. Sure, they might keep a guitar around their house that they'll pull out and strum once a year, but they don't PLAY guitar.

We have been having a lot of discussion on why white belts drop out of BJJ....even as they get close to blue belts. I know there are tons of possible answers to the question but what are the main reasons in your opinion...

Because white belt == tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap tap

Money. $200/month is a lot to shell out on a hobby for a broke college student.

Aside from the cost (which can be high for some people), the time+training frequency commitment I think is the main reason.

For someone with no grappling experience, it takes atleast 3 sessions/week to improve at a somewhat descent pace...but you will still be tapping like crazy at that descent pace.

I've lost motivation myself and just justified working more as an excuse to go to BJJ less (1-2 sessions/week) and it was extremely demoralizing as I felt I was getting worse. Once this happens, only going 1-2 times/per week...it becomes easier to lose steam and quit.

Thankfully it was a slump, and just gotta power through.

That's a bullshit reason IMO. Can't train because a full-time job gets in the way? Quit your job and work part-time. Girlfriend complains you never have time for her? Dump her. Too busy partying on the weekend to train? Stop drinking. Friends pressuring you to spend all your free time with them? Make new friends.

It's quite simple. There's being dedicated and there's not being dedicated, if you don't have the dedication you can't complain about not having the time.

You seem like the really hyped up white belt type who quits after 6 months.

I see alot of young guys in this thread who have no clue how little free time you have as a married man with a solid full time career, a wife with a full time career, and very young children.

Back on topic, two main reasons:

1) effort shock. Like sticker shock, but when you realize the effort cost to get something is far more than you are willing to spend.

2) they thought that reverse de la riva was going to bring all the girls to their yard.

That's a bullshit reason IMO. Can't train because a full-time job gets in the way? Quit your job and work part-time. Girlfriend complains you never have time for her? Dump her. Too busy partying on the weekend to train? Stop drinking. Friends pressuring you to spend all your free time with them? Make new friends.

It's quite simple. There's being dedicated and there's not being dedicated, if you don't have the dedication you can't complain about not having the time.

You are over generalizing. Priorities are like opinions. Everyone has them, but no one person's is exactly the same. You highly prioritize training. That's cool, I respect and admire what you say you are doing to do what you love.

I have passion for jiu jitsu, but I also have passion for my academic work, and I enjoy having a close relationship with a girl I love. So yeah, I will skip a night of training to see my girl. We live in different cities, and if not training Friday night means I get an extra night with her because it's my turn to travel, that's cool with me. If I need to skip a technique night so I can keep up on my studies and maintain my average over 85%, that's a done decision.

There will also be other nights that I will sacrifice that Friday night and cut my weekend with the girl short, because I actually have BJJ fairly high on my list of priorities for a hobbyist. I think life is about balance and flexibility. The kind of rigid dichotomy you prescribe for addressing priorities doesn't jive with my life view, and likely for many others. That doesn't mean whatsoever that I am not dedicated to my training though.

Yes, they would. Many people do. They see how much effort and time it would take to really get good, so they quit. Sure, they might keep a guitar around their house that they'll pull out and strum once a year, but they don't PLAY guitar.

Yeah I reread this thread an I have no idea what I was going on about there. I completely agree with you here. I think I worded my response to the point incorrectly.

There is a notion that people stop training at blue belt because "they feel they know enough" for their needs.
My argument is that by training to the point of blue belt, you at least know by then that you need to continue training in order to keep sharp.

It comes down to what you say, difficulty or time invested trumps whatever perceived benefit the individual feels they are getting from training, or they are actually not that interested in it. Any number of underlying reasons for quitting really, but I don't believe "knowing enough" would ever be a real reason for a majority of people, just like no one would learn a few scales, a couple of easy tunes, and decide that is enough guitar to get them by. Keeping the guitar around is residual interest, but it's never enough to keep them motivated.

Basically if they ever thought they "had enough skill," the activity is pretty low on their priorities to begin with, a temporary distraction. It's not a genuine explanation. It's like saying you're full when offered a second helping of your step mum's horrible goat cheese and caper quiche, but being first in line for that slice of cheesecake you really have you eye on.

Finkle is Einarr. EINARR IS FINKLE. EINARR IS A MAN!!!!11eleventy11!!

OH.

MY.

GOD.

Different reasons, but one reason I think is lack of time or desire to find time.

I had a few friends quit BJJ saying I dont have time to train once a day.

I suggested just training once or twice a week. But they say it isnt worth it like that.

Wife impinging on your training time with her unreasonable demands for you to take part in family life? Divorce her.

Kids getting in the way of your training schedule? Put them into foster care.

And injuries are just in your mind man - train through them.

God you guys really need to learn some commitment! ;-)

Haven't read the whole thread, so possibly a repeat point, but I haven't seen anyone mention:

Getting the shit beaten out of them by a-hole higher belts. I have seen this at several (bad) gyms throughout the years...ordinary workaday people get thrown to the wolves too early and it kills their enthusiasm for the sport. Very few people are going to spend a lot of time and money just to get beaten up 3x a week. I've seen guys who came consistently take one bad beating from someone who felt they had something to prove against a noob and never show up again. In some gyms I would guess this reason alone explains half the attrition. My first Judo club was very much like this. It's a bad way to run a club but there's still enough machismo and posturing in BJJ that you still see it often.

Time pressures with job and family is legit but how many times do many of those same people who claim those reasons go on to talk about the tv they watch?

Meatheads at the gym plus money investment plus time pressures definately challenge me. Luckily I recently joined a gym that has afternoon classes and is freaking cheap on top of it. All the guys at the day classes are older and laid back rolling too. Just the way I like it.

Two days a week is enough for renting a small place (I lived in 3x2m room for about 4 years doing my BA and MA - it's no big deal), eating well, paying gym fees, fuel for a 125cc motorcycle, and having a little to spare.

I'd say you've made your bed already. For an unattached guy in his early twenties I can make my bed however I want. Anyway my point was that everyone can find enough time to train, if they have the dedication - there's no reason that anyone can't train at least three times a week, as I see it.

It's really not difficult, in fact it's just a non-issue for me now. Historically plenty of warrior cultures have practiced celibacy - the Spartans, the Vikings of Jomsborg, members of Medieval knightly orders, et cetera. It's only modern Western culture that dictates that you're "weird" if you aren't sex-obsessed like a rutting animal. Not that I'm going to say "no" if a woman is offering her pussy on a silver platter, but otherwise I don't have the time.

Spartans not only snuck out of home to sex their gfs, they also sexed each other. Everyone needs sex bro. Its the best, get on it!

Also it is a bit of a stretch to think most knights abstained from sex whilst crusading.

Oh and my experience on the subject is that training gets dull after a while.

When I first started I was young and I had dreams of entering MMA and getting my blue belt super quickly. I stopped drinking and went to EVERY training session bar none.

After a few years the dream started to die, injuries started to pile up, and I knew basically every BJJ technique, it is just a matter now of refining the moves I know and learning the few I dont (which is rare). I want to drink and go out more instead of leading the pro athlete lifestyle.

Not only that I know my BJJ is at a level now that I can kick any untrained guys ass to hell and back. Before I joined I thought it would be awesome to just be able to defend or pick a fight with pretty much anyone and know I could win. I can do that now and it doesnt really mean that now which I think also takes away my enthusiasm to learn.

I just find it gets old forcing yourself to eat right EVERY day (if I dont I feel sick at training) and then get the shit kicked out of you by brown and black belts day in day out. I still train, I have too, I cant live without my Jiujitsu, but I can totally understand why others would quit. It is not for the faint of heart.

I see new guys come in with so much enthusiasm, but rarely do most stay for over a year, there are VERY few guys who dont get worn out and lose the urge to live the Jiujitsu lifestyle.

My school is very serious about competition as well so we all get pushed HARD. There are no breaks, only one water break for a two hour class. It isnt exactly laid back or merry. There is no easy training at my school and I think that makes it harder. Sometimes I think it would be cool to have a more relaxed atmosphere, but then I also know I would become very, VERY fat.

Haven't read the whole thread, so possibly a repeat point, but I haven't seen anyone mention:

Getting the shit beaten out of them by a-hole higher belts. I have seen this at several (bad) gyms throughout the years...ordinary workaday people get thrown to the wolves too early and it kills their enthusiasm for the sport. Very few people are going to spend a lot of time and money just to get beaten up 3x a week. I've seen guys who came consistently take one bad beating from someone who felt they had something to prove against a noob and never show up again. In some gyms I would guess this reason alone explains half the attrition. My first Judo club was very much like this. It's a bad way to run a club but there's still enough machismo and posturing in BJJ that you still see it often.

Good point. This is why we have a beginners class and a skills and drills class that is separate from our main sparring classes. This gives people time to gain the minimum level of skills necessary to at least be ready to TRY something from each position.

Our coaches are also very focused on letting everyone "in the game." I don't know how many times I've been told by my coach (discreetly), before a match with someone, "let them work." I always do this anyway, but the coaches still take the time to remind people.

Back