What are the goals of teaching in your country?

To indoctrinate innocent white kids with our liberal Marxist propaganda through the subversive use of 25 year-old community college graduates teaching geometry in rural Tennessee.

I think holding talented kids back is a separate issue from common core, well somewhat separate, and can only be addressed by a more aggressive approach to how we structure the educational setting. We know enough now to say with certainty that ability based grouping is better than age based grouping even though we haven't brought it into the classroom.

I am going to go look up the research foundation for Common Core since I have no idea what research drove this specific component of the curriculum...or any component for that matter.

yeah, please post what you find.

In the USA teaching is about creating more drones to serve the system...nothing more..

On the philosophical side, you may have an educational system that "forms" people into proper Danish citizens, but it's kind of a slippery slope because this same manner of indoctrination could be used for nefarious purposes.

I think the American educational system is more indirectly affected by individualism - wherein people are more inclined to think freely and form their own opinions (within a limited scope), ie., critical thinking rather than rote learning. Part of this stems from our very culture and how we raise our kids. You have less of a group mentality when everyone is convinced they are the center of their own universe. It's all about me, me, me. You are left with a million people going a million miles per hour in a million different directions.

I suppose your system is technically more proficient at molding people into something defined, however you are doing a balancing act as to the motives of the ones dictating the mold.

If that's the case then it's not teaching, but indoctrination, no democratic minded person would be willing to go that far, unless you're talking about an easily manipulated, and fearful part of the population that are able to vote.
I see this is as an ethical standard for a teacher to uphold the values of Klafki's Bildung (Formation, character-formation, or shaping) to ensure that you're bringing up the young as people that are able to think for themselves, decide for themselves, but still find solidarity with others.

From the other posters, it seems the part of instilling ethics in a class room in America is non existent, unless one is attending a private school.

Last edited:
That’s exaclty what it is. It is the only way to measure if kids are learning, hence teachers don’t like it. It’s like telling people you have a twelve inch penis but telling them they can’t look at it, measure it, ask people who have used it, or see it’s effects but you swear it’s the biggest one.

And how often are these tests?

A common complaint. Most classrooms teach to the top of the bottom 1/3 (per something I read a few months back) and the k-5 curriculum is designed to repeat the same material over the 6 years so that concepts get reintroduced and re-taught regularly. It's a system that only works when you have time to advance the students in line with their ability. And most teachers don't take the time. I also read that a surprising number of elementary school students are at least 1 year ahead of the curriculum on math and reading.

Did you ask for a grade skip? It used to be frowned upon but I think the new research suggests the kids who do so express greater satisfaction with their education.

I didn't because I've seen kids skipped get ostracized by the older kids.

So now that they're in hs it isn't an issue - they take AP and dual enrollment classes, and they're on MACC teams, and all that.

Last edited:
my sister got a job as a teacher and was told the correct answers to the interview questions. You cannot be a teacher in America unless you adhere to the liberal agenda.

Yeah but that’s possibly just our schools. Can’t say for sure.
What's the purpose of that? That's stupid. You put the pupils and the teachers under stress. An exam at the end of the their education (meaning final grade) is enough. The pupils can be evaluated by other means, such as projects or essays.

What's the purpose of that? That's stupid. You put the pupils and the teachers under stress. An exam at the end of the their education (meaning final grade) is enough. The pupils can be evaluated by other means, such as projects or essays.
This is grade school so they evaluate reading and math at different times. Let’s you see how you kid progresses

This is grade school so they evaluate reading and math at different times. Let’s you see how you kid progresses
It's still stupid cause then you have to lower the level of education in terms of skills and knowledge because of all the variables. And as mentioned before, when pupils only learn for tests, they only learn commonality and don't get any insight.

It's still stupid cause then you have to lower the level of education in terms of skills and knowledge because of all the variables. And as mentioned before, when pupils only learn for tests, they only learn commonality and don't get any insight.
We measure ourselves against other countries by testing. How else you measure progress

We measure ourselves against other countries by testing. How else you measure progress
You don't do it four times in a year. You have projects, presentations, demonstrations, essays, a short group quiz. Essays, presentations, and demonstrations are far better since you're able to see first hand what knowledge has been retained, where they have gotten insight, and thus required knowledge and how are they able to apply it.

Stardardized tests reads like that pupils four times a year have to be ready for an exam. Thus you have to cram as much information in as little time as possible. Which again, like I said before, leaves a lot out, and you only cover the base of Bloom's taxonomy (remembering).

serveimage

Last edited:
I think each state develops its own way, but basically:

Students in grades 3-12 will take between 2- 4 Standards of Learning (SOL) tests a year, depending on their grade level and the secondary courses taken during the year.​

http://www.doe.virginia.gov/testing/
Standardized tests sounds like a product from politicians with no clue about education, manipulating parents and voters that you need such tests to show kids are learning, and if not, they [schools] get their funding cuts, while ignoring that kids may be able to answer a quiz test, but won't understand what they're answering. Thus insight is lost to achieve superficial knowledge.

Instill a lifelong hatred of learning.

I take it that the common core is similar to the common goals. What is the essence in it?

Back