What are the chances that Karelin would get caught in a submission

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by MoreKane, May 15, 2017.

1. MoreKane Orange Belt

MoreKane
    against the likes of Roger Gracie, Royce Gracie, Damian Maia and other BJJ greats if he grappled them?

[​IMG]

2. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

randomg1t
    roger and demian... probably a good chance. depends on the ruleset, though.

royce? no way in hell, ever, under any ruleset.

3. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    In the gi with a rule set that doesn't allow running away (not some sub only super fight) Roger would tap him for sure.

kenetics likes this.
  4. jr jr Green Belt

jr jr
    Do they start on the feet? Are slams allowed?

5. Steve08 American Fedor Belt

Steve08
    Tbh, with a guy like that I feel as though even if he did get caught in something he could probably just blast his way out with strength except maybe a heelhook or something. dude used to basically deadlift 260lb men on steroids. That's inhuman.

6. MaxMMA Blue Belt

MaxMMA
    Jesus another one of these threads again... The chances of him being submitted by a high level black belt like the ones you mentioned are beyond good, they are more than likely going to be able to submit him.

Never rolled against an Olympic wrestler, but I have rolled against multiple collegiate including a D1 wrestler than was trying jiujitsu for the first time. I shot in on him, and he crossfaced me to the ground--> guard recovery--> arm drag to back take then RNC. A wrestler with no jiujitsu experience gives up his back very easily.

BJJ_Rage likes this.
  7. BJJ_Rage Gold Belt

BJJ_Rage
    Thats assuming he's going to be on top... Plenty ways to take the backs, a man of his physical attributes trained in any art would be a nightmare, but if he didn't train for sub grappling, modern days grapplers are going to leglock him or choke him out... Going for back takes from from the ground...

snowdale likes this.
  8. ArtemV Silver Belt

ArtemV
    He would probably out muscle most grapplers, but if he did get tired - which is a high possibility - then I have no doubt someone like Maia or Roger Gracie would get him to tap. However, if this was ADCC final rules with slams or whatever, it changes it a little bit..

9. jr jr Green Belt

jr jr
    its all about rules. Thats what we need to understand about these type of threads. Maia gets a single on him. He picks Maia up and spike him on his head.

snowdale and loyalyolayal like this.
  10. Hotora86 火虎 空手道

Hotora86
    If you gave him a month to learn BJJ basics and how to defend common subs he'd win the ADCC.

Franklegit, A.S. Deep and winterbike like this.
  11. randomg1t EVERYTIME CHAMPION

randomg1t
    except karelin is unlike any other olympic wrestler. he was a freak, physically and technically, by any era's standards. i'd bet my left nut there isn't a single bjj practitioner on earth who could armdrag him in his prime.

but of course, the biggest and baddest could beat him and even finish him, under favorable rules.

12. SubmissionarY White Belt

SubmissionarY
    You guys are silly, Karelin was a wrestling god. With that being said he has basically no Jiu jitsu... Roger Gracie, Damian Maia and other BJJ greats would absolutely submit him with ease as would most athletes at purple brown and black.

MaxMMA likes this.
  13. Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt

Edison Carasio
    This is kind of a silly thread, but I'll play a long. If I can sub guys who wrestled in HS and college as just a blue belt, I don't see why a world class BJJ champ wouldn't sub Karelin under specific rule sets.

But its a silly question to start with. Almost along the lines of "who would win a grizzly or gorilla"

mattemate likes this.
  14. tenniswhiz Steel Belt

tenniswhiz
    Karelin is probably at blue belt level just from watching tv.
    He hasn't been hiding under a rock for the past 20 years.
    LOL at anyone who thinks he hasn't rolled with BJJ guys, Sambo guys, and judo guys. I'm sure he knows the basics of submission grappling.
    A guy of that size, strength, athleticism, and wrestling ability, knowing even basic BJJ would be a nightmare for anybody.

winterbike likes this.
  15. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    Under some lame sub only rule set he could Shaub his way to a draw.
    I don't see him doing anything against Roger in let say IBJJF gi or anything with a half decent stalling call.

16. mattemate Brown Belt

mattemate
    He would be subbed. But it would be smart to pull guard against him.so as to avoid the slam, or imanari roll into the legs.

I think bigger grapplers like Barnett and werdum would do well, sure they'd be ouymuscled but there is less.of a size differential.

I just can't see him having the savvy to handle someone like Buchecha.

But good God in MMA he would be a nightmare.

Also, his physique doesn't pass the smell test. I wonder what he'd look like with usada testing.

I mean, honestly I think horsemeat ubereem could probably sub him. Not to put Lesnar on the same level as karelin, but he was a huge, super athletic wrestler, and he couldn't do shit to that guy.

17. pojo15 Orange Belt

pojo15
    read about rickson rolling with mark shultz who was an olympic gold medalist wrestler. he said it was one of his toughest matches up until that point and that mark had solid natural instincts when it came to defending submissions.

karelin is a much larger once in a lifetime genetic mutant freak. I agree with you that a large high level blackbelt like roger, rodolfo or buchecha would most likely submit him. I dont think it would be as easy as arm drag to the back then RNC.

It gets more fuzzy though as the size advantage diminishes.

kareling vs rafa mendes in no gi...... well I just dont know. thats a 120 lb weight difference. I think hes powering out of most subs

18. Randsome Gracie White Belt

Randsome Gracie
    Supposedly Karelin was a Judo and Sambo blackbelt.

loyalyolayal and Edison Carasio like this.
  19. jr jr Green Belt

jr jr

Again rules......

If you pull guard and get stood up, no submission. If the bjj grappler is forced to take him down it is not happening and he is not getting submitted. He is going to clinch and slam even Roger at 220lbs much less Maia.

Edison Carasio likes this.
  20. yetanother Purple Belt

yetanother
    Most rule sets with subs allow pulling/jumping guard.