What are the chances of another super 6 tournament

TinkerMan

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
I'm not overly clued up on how the wba,wbc,wbo,ibf work with mandatory defences etc, but I was thinking with the heavyweights you have wilder,Parker,wlad,Joshua then throw in say Ortiz and fury.... Winner takes all

I'm not overly clued up on how the wba,wbc,wbo,ibf work with mandatory defences etc, but I was thinking with the heavyweights you have wilder,Parker,wlad,Joshua then throw in say Ortiz and fury.... Winner takes all
Rumors are it's in the works a super 6 type of format , not sure what wieghclass

I thought given the dropouts etc these things weren't going to happen again?

Even getting two of these guys to fight is hard enough. Arranging a tournament like this seems unlikely.

i doubt we will see anythig like that again

certainly never at hevyweight, might be a good option for lower weight fighters though

Even getting two of these guys to fight is hard enough. Arranging a tournament like this seems unlikely.

This. In 2017, good luck getting them to partake. It's been over a decade at minimum and we're still waiting to see an undisputed champion in ANY weight division. Being lineal & unified is the best that can be done these days, it seems.

Even the first tourney was full of injuries and delays and dropouts and replacement fighters.

People tend to look back on it and only remember the fun fights and how Ward was a big underdog that pulled off some nice upsets but at the time it was often incredibly frustrating waiting for the whole thing to play out.

They say this every once in a while when theres a few good fighters in one weight class. It won't happen.

Tourneys suck for boxing anyway. The Super 6 was actually sort of a super flop. Half the participants dropped out before the tourney's conclusion.

Thurman-Garcia Brook-Spence pac-khan are all like in the same 2-3 month spread. It's as close to a super 6 as we are gonna get. If Spence wins I think he'll fight Thurman but pac is a bob arum boy so that throws a wrench into things

I think they're trying to do one for Welterweight, with Brook vs Spence being the first match-up.

I do not like that idea. I don't think there's any reason for a super six tournament in a division where fighters are already looking to unify. If Khan wins against Manny, he will already fight the WBC/WBA Champ, while if Manny wins chances are he's only fighting on PPV. So what's the point?

I think a tournament could be very useful in a different division, where it helps create stars in the process. I actually think a tournament at FW, BW or Jr.BW would a nice look.

I think a tournament could be very useful in a different division, where it helps create stars in the process. I actually think a tournament at FW, BW or Jr.BW would a nice look.
There was a bantamweight tournament with a similar format a few years ago IIRC. I think that that one had some hiccups, too, but still managed to get top fighters to fight each other, which isn't easy to do.

There was a bantamweight tournament with a similar format a few years ago IIRC. I think that that one had some hiccups, too, but still managed to get top fighters to fight each other, which isn't easy to do.

Really? Any links you can provide, I want to do some reading on that.

I just read Agbeko and Mares won their respective fights, then went on to fight each other. I'm assuming that second fight was part of the tournament, or no?

Though it seems the controversy was the refereeing for that second fight.
IIRC--Mares won the tournament by beating Agbeko twice. There was controversy in the Agbeko decisions with both fighters--he fought both Perez and Mares in back to back fights to try and resolve this.

The other "controversy" being that Nonito Donaire went on a BW tear at the same time and there was never a Mares-Donaire match which gave the tournament a somewhat hollow feel since they really should have fought to determine the best BW in the world. I guess some people argued the same about Bute sitting out of the Super Six while it was going on, but Carl Froch ended that controversy pretty decisively.

yeah your right, but a round robin tourney in boxing? Lunacy
I like the tourneys, froch showed that, but fighters don't like taking 3 tough fights back to back

Last edited:
I like the tourneys, frock showed that, but fighters don't like taking 3 tough fights back to back
Its not even that. Its the fact that if you are going to do a tourney make it single elimination. A round robin tournament in boxing, where fighters will get Ko'd or injured/hurt badly and need to take long periods of time of or drop out will mess up a tournament. which is what ended up happening. but yeah most of the top fighters were able to fight each other. As a tourney though it failed.

Back