What are the best MMO games ?

UO around t2a was amazing, but became progressively more "bluebie" with the success of EQ and lost a lot of the magic.

EQ in its day was amazing, even moreso if you got to the endgame content, and on another level on a pvp server. You dont know what power is in a game until you LITERALLY have the ability to single handedly ruin the nights of 50+ people. The gear gap between a random guy who got to level 60 and a guy with raid loot was so insane, you were borderline unkillable, even against groups of non-raiders.

I started playing again for a bit a few years ago and the nostalgia hit hard and pulled me in deep. It was comical that raid content that would destroy full raids of 50-100 people back in the day could be done solo now. (Although tbf, thats not much different in WoW, I could easily solo all of the non gimmicky old raid mobs with my DK in WoTLK.)

Wow was great up until Cata, then I stopped caring.

Man EQ was so good in it's own way. Also the gear thing was really only true for certain classes IMO. Classes like Paladins were just unkillable gods with gear. Relix was from my server if that rings a bell to you. I played a wizard and PVP was never going to be fun for me. Even on non-pvp servers things got crazy salty though. Killing KT was nearly impossible during prime raiding hours on my server without GM involvement and even then they let some crazy stuff go when it comes to training raids. I'm not proud of it at this point but I was rather notorious for blocking raid boss kills for a time. (TBH I was notorious for a lot of things >.<)

Are there any MMOs with the combat of single player games? I tried ESO but got bored with it.
Closest to me was Age of Conan. The melee combat was like a fighting game. You had to actually aim and you could circle strafe and sprint plus the moves were like combos. Ranged was pretty much like all the other tab target mmos. Balance was pretty bad at first and tons of bugs at launch so it failed miserably. They had a free to play version now with micro-transactions. Unfortunately they slowed down the gameplay and made it more casual friendly before I quit.

At one time the balance was pretty good. And best part was gear didn't decide who would win in pvp. You could literally beat someone naked if you could out strafe them since there is collision detection.

Man EQ was so good in it's own way. Also the gear thing was really only true for certain classes IMO. Classes like Paladins were just unkillable gods with gear. Relix was from my server if that rings a bell to you. I played a wizard and PVP was never going to be fun for me. Even on non-pvp servers things got crazy salty though. Killing KT was nearly impossible during prime raiding hours on my server without GM involvement and even then they let some crazy stuff go when it comes to training raids. I'm not proud of it at this point but I was rather notorious for blocking raid boss kills for a time. (TBH I was notorious for a lot of things >.<)

Two of the greatest events in EQ history (arguably) happened on pvp servers. An alliance of guilds on a pvp server (Rallos Zek I believe) managed to kill the sleeper. On my server (Tallon Zek) there was a battle in the gray/temple ssra that involved almost every major guild on the server. One side (Pandemonium and allies) was trying to prevent an Alliance of the #2 and #3 guilds (Indignation, Discordia and allies) from getting Vex Thal keys if they killed Emperor Ssraehzsa.

It lasted hours, there were hundreds of people involved, trains, corpse camping, pure insanity. Indig/Disco almost succeeded, but a RL friend actually caused the zone to crash at <5 percent. (He got banned for this), The head GM ended up giving all of the raiders the orbs anyway.

That was probably the most fun Ive ever had in a game.

What about Black Desert online? It will come to Xbox One, the combat seems cool.

Are there any MMOs with the combat of single player games? I tried ESO but got bored with it.

Not really, no. I think "Conan" came about the closest to making it's combat a little more action oriented with real time feedback for when you make contact with hits, but even then, it's not like it was like playing God Of War or anything. It was still a very limited animation and physics system. I don't even know if that game is even online anymore. Doubt it. I played it back in the day, and the developers were complete dickheads, and never responded to any feedback they got from the players to fix shit.

I haven't played any new MMO's, so maybe they're improving things in regards to combat, but I don't know.

Two of the greatest events in EQ history (arguably) happened on pvp servers. An alliance of guilds on a pvp server (Rallos Zek I believe) managed to kill the sleeper. On my server (Tallon Zek) there was a battle in the gray/temple ssra that involved almost every major guild on the server. One side (Pandemonium and allies) was trying to prevent an Alliance of the #2 and #3 guilds (Indignation, Discordia and allies) from getting Vex Thal keys if they killed Emperor Ssraehzsa.

It lasted hours, there were hundreds of people involved, trains, corpse camping, pure insanity. Indig/Disco almost succeeded, but a RL friend actually caused the zone to crash at <5 percent. (He got banned for this), The head GM ended up giving all of the raiders the orbs anyway.

That was probably the most fun Ive ever had in a game.

Pretty sure two of my buddies were part of that, they were addicted to that game and always talk about some crazy event that they were part of back in the day.

I could never get into it and didn’t know what they were talking about to remember specifics.

Not really, no. I think "Conan" came about the closest to making it's combat a little more action oriented with real time feedback for when you make contact with hits, but even then, it's not like it was like playing God Of War or anything. It was still a very limited animation and physics system. I don't even know if that game is even online anymore. Doubt it. I played it back in the day, and the developers were complete dickheads, and never responded to any feedback they got from the players to fix shit.

I haven't played any new MMO's, so maybe they're improving things in regards to combat, but I don't know.

That’s why I can’t play these games.

If they at least had combat like say Mass Effect does I could.

Me and my cousin have been trying to find a good MMO with heavy emphasis on PVP. Camelot Unchained looks promising and Crowfall as well.

Black Desert Online has very arcadey, action/RPG elements to it that make the combat a joy.
ESO PvP is deep, if you like crafting different builds and learning a complex pvp system, ESO is the way to go.

Me and my cousin have been trying to find a good MMO with heavy emphasis on PVP. Camelot Unchained looks promising and Crowfall as well.

You should definitely check out ESO.
Add me on steam and I'll show you what its about. It's honestly too much to explain over a forum.

What about Black Desert online? It will come to Xbox One, the combat seems cool.
I play it on PC right now on and off. The combat is cool and is almost more like a fighting game in 1v1 battles...+ the end game Awakening system that can completely change how you character fights is pretty cool too...problem however...

While the combat is skill based to an extent at lvl60 the gear grind is so horrific. Can take months to level up single pieces of gear.

PlanetSide 2 is fantastic, but also on its last legs.
There still seems to be plenty of people playing.

I just started since it looked interesting and was free.

Some weird shit happens in it from time to time though. I’m almost positive people are playing with hack mods.

Technically not an MMO, but Warframe is the shit.

look-all-these-warframes.jpg

I used to play on the Fennin Ro back in 99 as a troll shaman. Looking back, I wasted too much time in the game with all the gear grinding and corpse recovery. I think my character must have had 75 days logged in time. It shows you how seriously addicted I was at the time. I could not even imagine playing on a PVP server when death by itself is already much more penalized than Ultima Online. They should have done something like Shadows Bane where PVP is highly encouraged because of less time being devoted to PVE

Guild Wars 2 maybe?

Ultima Online, Asherons Call, Dark Age Of Camelot.

Everquest was for nerds so i never played it.

I've only played The Secret World due to its' Lovecraftian theme.

Guild Wars 2 - Typical fantasy MMORPG but is actually good
DC Universe Online - Superhero MMO based around DC's comics
Champions Online - Superhero MMO based on some board game with awesome character customization
Warframe - Space ninjas
Defiance - Like Borderlands meets Mercenaries in an online environment.
Star Wars: The Old Republic - MMO set thousands of years before the Skywalker saga with light and dark side story paths.

Back