What are Stephen King's best books?

Finishing up Different Seasons tonight. Apt Pupil is probably the best thing I have read of his. His short fiction is amazing and shouldn’t be missed. Check out Night Shift and Skeleton Crew.

Favorite short stories:
Gray Matter
I am the doorway
The Mangler
The Last Rung on the Ladder
The Monkey
The Jaunt
Survivor Type
Tons more

I really hate Stephen King. Most of his books have terrible endings. I enjoyed eyes of the dragon or whatever it was called when I was a kid, but that's about it. I read a couple more and was like, "Wow this guy's overrated"

Then one day I read Needful Things when I was like 14. I got so engrossed in it that I finished the whole thing in a day, but the ending was so god awful that I literally threw the book across the room. Stupidest ending ever. Thank god they changed the ending when they made it into a movie.

Finishing up Different Seasons tonight. Apt Pupil is probably the best thing I have read of his. His short fiction is amazing and shouldn’t be missed. Check out Night Shift and Skeleton Crew.

Favorite short stories:
Gray Matter
I am the doorway
The Mangler
The Last Rung on the Ladder
The Monkey
The Jaunt
Survivor Type
Tons more

Night Surf was pretty good, and Mrs Todd's shortcut, Jerusalem's lot, graveyard shift

The mangler fucking kills me. Hand of glory hole, mother of pearl necklace, it fits!

I really loved The Stand and the first four books of The Dark Tower,with 4 being the ultimate.

Personally, I read Carrie and Firestarter and enjoyed both immensely. I found both to be quick and easy reads.

I'm currently in the middle of The Shining and I'm finding it a bit harder to get through. I'm trudging forward but it's just not going down quite as smoothly.

What are your favorite Stephen King books?

And for those who are current with his work, what are the better RECENT Stephen King books? And by recent I mean, eh, last 15 years or so. It seems that all of his books you hear about are the books he wrote in the 70s, 80s and 90s. You don't hear much about the books he's done more recently.

stephen-king.jpg

I have finished his entire library.

Will share my favorites shortly!

I really hate Stephen King. Most of his books have terrible endings. I enjoyed eyes of the dragon or whatever it was called when I was a kid, but that's about it. I read a couple more and was like, "Wow this guy's overrated"

Then one day I read Needful Things when I was like 14. I got so engrossed in it that I finished the whole thing in a day, but the ending was so god awful that I literally threw the book across the room. Stupidest ending ever. Thank god they changed the ending when they made it into a movie.

Stanley Kubricks take on the Shinning is a better Story than Kings Book. Which I find hilarious that King Hated it.

The problem with King, is his attitude to writing seems to be 'throw enough shit at the wall and some will stick'. Quantity over quality.

He's done some brilliant stuff and some absolute tripe. I got given one of his newer books around this time last year. Can't even remember the name. Was about a woman who's author husband has died, and was probably the most boring thing I've ever read in my entire life.

Stanley Kubricks take on the Shinning is a better Story than Kings Book. Which I find hilarious that King Hated it.

Yeah King hated it so much that he made his own version that was closer to the book. Everyone hated that movie lol.

Kubrick >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> King

Yeah King hated it so much that he made his own version that was closer to the book. Everyone hated that movie lol.

Random Video I found describing why Kubricks shining was great and also shows clips of why it was better than the Made for TV movie despite not being faithful to the book

https://youtu.be/TmYcoozFYnU

For his more recent stuff, 11/22/63 was a lot better than I expected it to be. It suffers from bad ending-itis like most of his stuff, but he does a good job with the premise.

It's easier to improve a story than to create a good one

Night Surf was pretty good, and Mrs Todd's shortcut, Jerusalem's lot, graveyard shift

The mangler fucking kills me. Hand of glory hole, mother of pearl necklace, it fits!

I just started Nightmares and Dreamscapes. His collection of short stories is just so large it’s almost overwhelming. They are the perfect size for me as I am in school right now. I might go a week without reading for pleasure and will usually set out the time to finish 1-2 short stories rather than forget about what just happened in a massive book.

Did you read Full Dark, No Stars? The stories in that book blew me away.

Back