What are some good exercises to help relieve lower back pain?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by Flow King, Sep 1, 2017.

1. Flow King White Belt

Flow King
    Hello, white belt here. I slipped a few discs in my lower back a couple of years ago that still give me trouble. What are some good exercises and or stretches that will help alleviate the pain? It usually starts acting up after a few hard rolls.

2. pliftkl Green Belt

pliftkl
    I would start with the McKinsey protocol for the lower back. These are primarily stretches. I've had really good results with the neck protocol.

3. TrueBias Black Belt

TrueBias
    McKenzie pressups.

Find "the most famous physical therapists on the internet" on youtube. They never tire talking about this shit.

4. LatFlare EADC

LatFlare
    Heavy deadlifts

WARinsertname likes this.
  5. corpse Orange Belt

corpse
    foundation training gets some good rep. there is a 12 minute yt video.

Tchoker likes this.
  6. Flow King White Belt

Flow King
    Thanks everyone, I'll be checking them out. Hope it helps.

7. Phlog Black Belt

Phlog
    Straight core exercises help me but there will be experts on YouTube talking about your specific problem and how to fix it.

Flow King likes this.
  8. Flow King White Belt

Flow King

found them, they are hilarious

Left Hook Lacy and TrueBias like this.
  9. Tchoker White Belt

Tchoker
    Check out the reverse hyper. It'll strengthen and stretch your entire posterior chain.

My back was completely screwed until I started hammering these on a regular basis. Same thing you have, herniated discs.

Flow King likes this.
  10. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    Just a heads up, there's no specific thing that works for everything. The symptomatology is very different from person to person, and any disc herniations and protrusions can have very different pathologies. A lot of it is direction specific, meaning that for some extension will work while for others it'll make it worse. That's why you get screened before doing the McKenzie protocol. Most people have flexion based pain so some of the pressups makes sense, but again it doesn't for for all.

What it means is, that people respond differently to different exercises, especially when it comes to lower back pain.

Generally I'd say;

In the acute phase, take anti-iflammatories and slow down anything that stresses your back.
    Find out what aggravated your back pain and stop doing that.
    Move your spine and body as much as you can without pain. Various stretches like cow/cat, knee bends, hamstring stretches, glut med. stretches, lower back stretches so forth. Again, different things will work for different people. The important thing is to keep moving, but be gentle and remember to relax and breathe into it.

When then pain subsides, start doing very low impact core exercises. Modified deadbugs, bend leg raises, simply pressing your lower back into the floor with bent legs. It's important to do the easiest possible variations well, before moving on. Most people do something that is way too hard where they can't maintain any lower back control and stabilisation, which defies the whole point of the exercise. It's not about showing off. Again, see how you respond.

When pain is better work into your usual training regiment, but remember what created the problem in the first place. You might want to re-learn some technical lifts, like deadlifts or any hinge really, or use blocks etc. Generally training your ass and legs will support your back. There's nothing wrong with using machines for a while if they alleviate the pain.

Luckely about 90% of lower back pain subsides within 3 months, pretty much whatever you do. Still, there's no reason not to help it along and be aware of the triggers.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2017
    corpse, selfcritical and Flow King like this.
  11. Flow King White Belt

Flow King

Thank you very much for taking the time to inform me (and everyone else who is reading this) about rehabilitation. I will take into consideration and action the information you have provided.

12. Sano Brown Belt

Sano
    No worries man. When you have spent enough time on it and worked with enough people with various disc and back problems (including yourself) you accumulate some experience. There's a lot of good ideas out there, but truth is that there's no hard evidence suggesting any one kind of treatment. Often times you end up back at the basics. Keep moving, don't aggravate the triggers and find choices and strength exercises that works for you, and builds you up.

Anyway, hope it clears up! If it doesn't, seek out a professional.

Keep us posted!

Flow King likes this.
  13. bad seed A Really Cool Opatmus

bad seed
    reverse hypers and yoga, srs.

Flow King likes this.
  14. SexyMahnaz Green Belt

SexyMahnaz
    Hip Thrusts helped me most.

Flow King likes this.
  15. selfcritical Brown Belt

selfcritical
    Came here to say basically this. As he noted above, while exercise generally helps with back pain, there's nothing that notes a particular exercise as being the silver bullet.

Flow King and Sano like this.
  16. Left Hook Lacy Blue Belt

Left Hook Lacy
    Haha those two are the best!

Flow King likes this.
  17. NoSmilez Brown Belt

NoSmilez
    I think it is different for everyone depending where you are tight at. For me if I stretch glute and hip, I would get back relief.

Flow King likes this.