What are some Ah-HA moments you had in striking where things just start to click?

SourPatchKid

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I've had a few random ones recently:

1. Left hook is all about speed, not power.
2. learn to shift weight on lead leg AND back leg (especially when countering)
3. Bend the wrists slightly when throwing punches
4. throw the overhand right as if its a hook with your body torqing perpendicular

what are some you've had?

Im unathletic as fuck and i will never hit fast or hard.

Only thing that is some what good is my low kick(which is hilarious because i have never trained kicking)

Im unathletic as fuck and i will never hit fast or hard.

Only thing that is some what good is my low kick(which is hilarious because i have never trained kicking)
as long as you aim for the balls, you dont need alot of technique

I've had a few random ones recently:

1. Left hook is all about speed, not power.
2. learn to shift weight on lead leg AND back leg (especially when countering)
3. Bend the wrists slightly when throwing punches
4. throw the overhand right as if its a hook with your body torqing perpendicular

what are some you've had?
being able to efficiently incorporate uppercuts into my sparring. Im sort of a beginner with boxing as I mainly come from BJJ, but once i found myself landing uppercuts, I felt like I was starting to get a hang of the whole boxing thing

-Finally able to time knees after having it done to me. Against slower guys who like to throw hands you can just kind of tell when they are going to close distance. Used to be way more worried about the counter punch

-Being able to hard spar while not throwing my hardest at every punch. I still throw my hardest when going 100%. (A lot of overhand and hooks still.) but I’m slowly being able to throw more smooth and less hard as the intensity goes up. Helps keep the volume higher too

Finally feeling comfortable with timing opponents jabs and countering with a slip + body shot

When I sparred with a guy who came from a karate background transitioning to kickboxing at a gym in NYC. I realized the first few times I sparred with him he was landing kicks like crazy than the next I realized I was always in his kicking range, he's good with his hands but his arms were much longer than mine so when I got closer to him into punching range he would try to hit a 1-2 and I would clinch with him. The lesson there is never give your opponent the kicking advantage if they are good at kicks (staying in punching range and coming in close when he kicks)

Another thing when I saw my boy who is 3-0 in boxing sparring a much taller guy, all he did was hit body shots on him, that's how I learnt to just feint a right hand and go for the body.

When I sparred with the boxer who was 3-0 (hes also 2-1 in mma), I sparred with him in muay thai. And figured out how to get on the inside of his reach and get more shots by staying off the line.

Another guy who I had a rivalry with in a gym that's closed down now. He was 6'3" but really scrawny. So he would always try to throw tornado kicks and spin back kicks. And that's how I learnt to counter every spin back kick or tornado kick that's ever thrown at me.

How much placement matters for body punches. How much lateral movement can save my ass. How feints are basically equally important to actual strikes.

Back