What are different grips for kouchi gake/gari

dudeguyman

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
What are some different ways you can grab your adversary's hands/arms/torso other than the way shown is this short traditional clip. And why should or why shouldn't I grab them certain ways?

P.S. the main reason I'm asking is because the way shown in the video looks like it almost gives your opponent your back, and I don't want that.

In the street you can cup them under the balls.

Doesn't Andre Galvao like an underhook (with the lapel-side arm) rather than a grip on the lapel? But he also doesn't go as deep with the reap.

The accepted wisdom is that arm placement is great for Judo and risks giving up your back in BJJ unless you're very experienced at pinning people.

Some alternative grips etc. off the top of my head....

1) You can break the grip and arm drag off it into a Kouchi Gake.

2) Terere style with your reaping leg back initially and your weaker hand on the collar, switching feet as you drag him forward to reap. (Look up Safada takedown)

3) Swim your elbow inside his collar grip, lower your level and drive forward like a wrestling shot hitting the reap.

4) You can change levels doing a duck-under; so if he has a right hand collar grip his hand ends up towards your right shoulder then drive forward and reap.

Last edited:
This version drives forward. The other 'orthodox' version is reaping uke's foot forward as they step forward while taking a backstep.

Standard grip is nice, as you're pulling down one side of their body with your sleeve grip while simultaneously turning their shoulders/pushing them back with your lapel grip.

you can hit this throw off of a double sleeve grab, but that requires some pretty delicate timing.

if you want to do the makikomi version and avoid the flying back take problem, it's do-able, but it requires you being proficient enough with the throw to adjust mid-throw. i've got a few decent pointers here:

1. if you're doing the under-the-arm (ippon) style grip, it's imperative you keep both hands on the sleeve grip as you hit the ground, otherwise that's going to end up being the vertical component of the seatbelt grip for their back take. by maintaining control of the sleeve, you can push the arm away from their body with both of your arms, or pin it to the ground while getting your inside arm out.

2. your hips need to rotate back towards the ground as soon as you land. the best way to do this is to kick your free leg over into top half as soon as possible.

3. if you're doing it leg-grab style, you can push the knee to the mat as you make contact, post on your shoulder, get your reaping leg free, and hop over into ura gatame (or whatever side control facing the feet is called.

tldnr - you've gotta keep control as you hit the ground, especially with the grips. it's a winnable scramble, but only if you can maintain the initiative. if you're not *immediately* passing as soon as uke hits the ground, yeah, it's basically a flying back take.

Not sure why you'd even think about committing both your arms to a throw like that in BJJ/Kosan rules.

Against anyone with any cross skill will counter you and rotate to your back without thinking. At least wrap a rear collar grip to keep you from rotating your hips to the mat.

If you can get a 45 back against their center so as in the 1st and 3rd demo Uke has to commit the the slap you might pull it off but it's low percentage success.

Look at the 2nd demo Uke has his hand on Tori's back above his belt. Even in demo that's an uncommitted hand that can attack offense.

100% protective Ukemi for Uke or you're playing with fire on the counter.

Much better Ashi for BJJ'rs to protect your back....

Back