What age is too old to start mma

Some instance's I can think of.

1. There were two guys a few years ago that were in their 60's or 70's that fought each other.

2.Dan Severn fought some guy who started in his 60's.

3.There was some guy who fought at Ganryujima (not mma but still) who got clobbered by this way younger muscular dude.

If you search on YouTube, there's fights from various minor league MMA promotions featuring 50+ year old people.

Liam McGeary started MMA late, didn't have his first pro fight until 27 and he became champ when he was 32.

I guess it always depends on the weight division. You can get away with older age in LHW and HW but if you're a LW, it's going to be hard to start when you're older.

Last edited:
the smaller you are the harder its going to be to be competitive at a high level late in life... If you look at the guys people named that started late, they are big guys, its hard to find a guy that large and athletic in general if you have that going for you, you have a huge advantage out the gate over many heavies and LHW most guys that size who are A level athletes play other sports that are more mainstream and pay more.... Now if you go down to the smaller weight classes everyone can move well the technical aspects of whats going on are consistently a lot higher, I would be shocked to see someone with no martial arts experience at 25 or even 20 like you said do well anywhere below maybe MW, but I am talking at the highest level... If you just wanna rattle off a couple fights like a bucket list thing ur fine

Those starting younger and pace themselves minimizing injury will most often do better.

An occasional outlier with Bo Jackson athletism can of course start later but would be better earlier.

Makes usually peak early 20's physically which means best recovery strength building stage. Though there are other factors and Werdum and DC and even Brock showed can still be top competitor later in life.

The reflexes and coordination should be better early on. Almost like learning anything, gets harder as we age. Ex. Want to be bilingual easier if start young.

I'd say late 30's if you only plan on having a few am fights.

If you want to fight as a pro, well that's all pretty subjective depending on experience, size, athleticsm etc...your physical prime is somewhere around 25-35

Mainly for curiosity 2008 they said around age 20 was the limit, now I'm curious as to now

If you want to have a go just do it.
There is no age limit and there shouldnt be, no one should tell you whether you can or not but you, your loved ones and maybe your coach.

The only thing that counts is the level of competition and the rules. Get a known good promoter (rare as hens teeth but they're there) who matches evenly skilled fighters.

If you're not experienced go for one of the shooto classes with more selective rules. Just be careful though as if you're have a grappling base you don't want the 20sec standup one but if you're a striker you would.

Have a go mate or at least don't limit someone if they do.

I turned pro at the age of 35 against Dre Mitchell in the WFC, in 2013, lost my pro debut.. little over three years later and 39 at the end of this year, a fee injuries, a few opponents pull out, and a issue with the Canadian govt preventing me from fighting for Faris Zahabi's MMA Fight Night org in 2014 and 2015, I am 2-1, work 55+ hours a week and don't want to be a champion or be famous, I just have been a lifelong martial artist, had a decent am record, and felt the desire to see where I stood in skill vs other pro fighters. Hope to fight until I am in my 40s. Fight at 135 and 145, tried 125 and was off 3.5lbs, too hard of a cut, walk around in the high 160s at 5ft 8in.

Important there is no limit...

But considering a career in MMA after 35....without any background... never going to happen.

But it's never to late to learn anything.
Not true..

I'm having my first ammy fight at 36 on may 12th. Been training 3+ yrs ish injuries and stuff make it less than 2.5
Let me know how you do bro.. and don't give up! Even if you take a loss! I lost my last am fight against Chris Nolasco and lost my pro debut back back, but haven't lost the two fights since. Injuries and life happens, as I've learned through this journey, but remain patient, focused and have fun with it all! I will add.. if you do plan to possibly try and turn pro, get with a solid and reputable trainer/gym/team and get to know a legit regional/local mma promoter/org. At our age, getting fights is hard and getting fights that pay decent (show, win plus %of tickets sold) is hard, but if you do the footwork, it will be worth the efforts made, even if for a penny.

Last edited:
Not true..

To be fair it'll be hard to get rich but good on you mate big props.

Most people are too scared to live and slide into the grave happy they're not scared anymore.

I turned pro at the age of 35 against Dre Mitchell in the WFC, in 2013, lost my pro debut.. little over three years later and 39 at the end of this year, a fee injuries, a few opponents pull out, and a issue with the Canadian govt preventing me from fighting for Faris Zahabi's MMA Fight Night org in 2014 and 2015, I am 2-1, work 55+ hours a week and don't want to be a champion or be famous, I just have been a lifelong martial artist, had a decent am record, and felt the desire to see where I stood in skill vs other pro fighters. Hope to fight until I am in my 40s. Fight at 135 and 145, tried 125 and was off 3.5lbs, too hard of a cut, walk around in the high 160s at 5ft 8in.

Which one of these guys are you?:

https://www.tapology.com/fightcenter/fighters/55925-drey-mitchell

Healthy just go for it. I still believe in magic, I have to. Im 37 and still considering it. I do have martial arts background tho.

You're too old for MMA when you think Phil Baroni should be retired.

The pro boxer Bonecrusher Smith didn't start boxing until he was almost 30, and he became a world heavyweight champ.

It depends of how talented you are, how fast you can evolve.

Back