What age did u start bjj

Started at 46, I'm 51 and Purple.

53 yrs old..
14 months..
and 4 stripes.
how often do you train and who gives happy meal stripes so easily?

Love these people who always write an excuse why they are white belts. Nothing wrong being 4 years a white belt don't shame it. Maybe your bjj just sucks not that you are inconsistent with your training.

Yeah okay no offence but 4 stripes and 14 months (3 classes per week) means you have to be a predator on the mats. In my gym people rarely get promoted so quickly. you are 53 which makes it even more questionable. Not blaming you though there are gyms who promote way too easily.

There is ALWAYS that one guy...

Love these people who always write an excuse why they are white belts. Nothing wrong being 4 years a white belt don't shame it. Maybe your bjj just sucks not that you are inconsistent with your training.

exactly. I was a white belt for almost 3 years before I got my blue. my bjj sucked, along with the fact that I was inconsistent with my training

edit: i still suck.

Injuries, burn out from too much training, and also just how overly expensive the sport is.
Man that sucks
I had a 2 weeks halt from training cause i owed my bjj club money i couldnt afford so i cant train.
You know gsp and ngounnou i think couldnt afford training so they asked if they could train for free which worked

Started training at 16 been doing it for 4 months or so. White belt. I'm now 17 and getting back to bjj after not being able to afford it. Though im still uncertain if i can mantain it finacially long enough for this year

42 white belt, started two months ago. Had previous experience off and on in my 20's.
All i can say is its a lot harder at my age now but Im hooked for good i think

Started 2 days before my 49th birthday. Now blue at 23 months in.

Started at 30, it's been 4 years now.

Yeah okay no offence but 4 stripes and 14 months (3 classes per week) means you have to be a predator on the mats. In my gym people rarely get promoted so quickly. you are 53 which makes it even more questionable. Not blaming you though there are gyms who promote way too easily.

Ahh... what the hell- I haven't gone on this rant in a while.

You must be at one of those special gyms- that still associates time with "high standards". In all honesty, if your gym can't get people ready for blue belt in 20-24 months, especially if they are training almost 5 hours per week- you don't have high standards, you have bad instruction.

With all the advances in todays BJJ- more structured curriculum, online resources, etc- there is no excuse for "3 year to become a blue belt". Its not other gyms promoting to easily (though I'm sure it does happen). The only reason that happens is either - your instructor sucks, or he is a tournament sandbagger.

So he got his 4th stripe in 14 months. Let's say its 6 months till his promotion - he is just shy of 2 years to blue belt. No issue for a competent instructor and student who is putting in the time.

19. Self trained for a year or two before I found a gym (a gym full of meat heads, but still a place to learn) they taught pankration style, not one ounce of bjj. Start from the feet every roll, some days they would add in strikes to the stomach, and slaps to the face while on the ground (no joke! lol) Every guy there was over 215lbs and at the time I was 155lbs soaking wet. I was injured a lot, but stuck with it....got my "blue shirt" after a year.
Went to another gym and rolled with a bjj blue and a purple belt who were trained under a Fabio santos brown belt......totally different world, super smooth, real humble, a complete joy to roll with. I did fine against the blue, but I also outweighed him a bit......but the purple??? Hadn't ever had my ass handed to me like that by someone lighter than me. Sick little dude (still is!)
I quit my old gym, and started training a bit at the bjj one. I stopped after awhile, started to train more striking, and self defense stuff. i'm still there at that gym, just not as consistently.....in fact, I haven't ever been that consistent with one style of martial arts. All that shit to say, i'm now 30 with a measly "blue shirt" and white belt! heh heh. Sorry for the long post, couldn't remember if I've ever actually shared my bjj story.

Started BJJ at 22. I'm now a 33 year old black belt. The goal was to earn my black belt by 30 and ended up getting promoted at 31.

At this point in my life, training has slowed down as I focus on family and career.

Started BJJ at 22. I'm now a 33 year old black belt. The goal was to earn my black belt by 30 and ended up getting promoted at 31.

At this point in my life, training has slowed down as I focus on family and career.
Must have been amazing to get a black belt so young.

I wish I started as young as you rather than at 34. Oh well.

Cause your a black belt, why dont gyms teach self defense jiu jitsu and why is there so little gracie jiu jitsu place compared to sport jiu jitsu places

What was your road to black belt like? Were you able to train consistently for the majority of the time? How often were you training on average per week?

Must have been amazing to get a black belt so young.

I wish I started as young as you rather than at 34. Oh well.

Haha! I don't necessarily getting my black belt at 31 young when I see these monsters winning tournaments at black belt at 19 years old! You're never to old or young to start training. Ossss!!!

What was your road to black belt like? Were you able to train consistently for the majority of the time? How often were you training on average per week?

I trained very consistently throughout my whole time training because I knew my goal was to earn my black belt. I was fortunate enough to train with really good guys who helped take my game to the next level. I also spent 5 years teaching our kid's program.

Depending on the belt, I trained no less than 3 times per week. If I was injured, I drilled to stay active and always study the game. At brown belt, I took 4 months off then made up for it by training 5 times per week on the road to black belt.

Belts were, as follows:

White to Blue Belt - 2 years
Blue to Purple Belt - 2 years
Purple to Brown Belt - 2 years
Brown to Black Belt - 3 years

I trained very consistently throughout my whole time training because I knew my goal was to earn my black belt. I was fortunate enough to train with really good guys who helped take my game to the next level. I also spent 5 years teaching our kid's program.

Depending on the belt, I trained no less than 3 times per week. If I was injured, I drilled to stay active and always study the game. At brown belt, I took 4 months off then made up for it by training 5 times per week on the road to black belt.

Belts were, as follows:

People like you motivate me man. I go to class 5 times a week (4 minimum), but really only roll 10-20 minutes each class. I used to roll more but noticed it had a detrimental effect on my body remainder of the week so I couldn't perform as well.

Congrats on all your hard work!

Belts were, as follows:

Awesome. I've been a blue belt for a couple months and turning 25 soon. I am trying to maintain 4-6 classes a week and also plan on competing 3+ times a year. Its a goal of mine to one day achieve black belt status but don't think it'll happen by 30.

Wrested from 14-19
Started Judo at 32/33ish
Started BJJ at 34/35ish
I am now 43 and am a forever brown in Judo
a baby brown in BJJ
Still do bjj and judo as well as some wrestling

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back