What about 9 rounds of 4 minutes?

Human Bass

Silver Belt
@Silver
Reaction score
It would equal the same 36 minutes as 12x3. But being a odd number, greatly reduces the chances of a draw.

Also the extra minute can give a "deep waters" drama and there is less time spent resting on the corner, rewarding the fighter with the better cardio.

Yeah, I know, boxing is a sacred untoucable cow and such a big change would be heresy.

A much better way to correct the odd number effect is to give a little more even rounds, when they're dead close.

The simplest non-radical solution is keep everything as it is and just use 5 judges in title fights. It wouldn't eradicate controversy but it would reduce it a bit.

The simplest non-radical solution is keep everything as it is and just use 5 judges in title fights. It wouldn't eradicate controversy but it would reduce it a bit.
The simplest thing would be to have judges watch from a monitor and not at 3 different sides of the ring, that way the judges see everything everyone else sees.

Dont you feel that with just 3 minutes the round ends right when it was finally heating up many times?
Yes, although often for reasons that would make the same thing happen at the end of a 4-minute round. And I agree that an odd number of rounds would probably be better than the even number we have now in order to prevent draws.

However, if we start fucking around with the rules of the sport now, we might kill it off. Boxing has things like history, tradition and provenance that help legitimise it and make it something bigger than just two guys fighting each other. If it's simply fighting that people want to see, they'll just watch MMA anyway. At this point, boxing can't compete with MMA when it comes to fighting alone. If the sport was introduced today, most people would just laugh it off. "Yeah, that new thing, it's like MMA, but they are only allowed to punch and can only fight standing up, and they have to wear these oversized padded mittens on their hands, it's looks so weird and stoopid, bro. And haha, if one of them is knocked down he gets 10 seconds to get up or he loses. It's soooo fucking ridiculous!§!"§" Boxing survives because it's been here, largely in unchanged form, for much longer than the vast majority of fans have been alive.

I remember a few years ago FIFA started debating whether to make the goals in soccer a little larger so that you'd get more goals scored, making the sport more exciting to watch and avoiding draws etc. At first I thought that sounded like a good idea - like, hey, I might start watching soccer now, but then as I spent more time thinking about it, I realised it probably wasn't such a great idea after all. And they ended up voting against it. You have to be very careful fucking around with a sport and its rules too much. And the guys at FIFA got that. And while I think soccer would have probably survived the change, I'm not convinced boxing is robust enough at this point to survive something like that.

And as a fan (and former amateur boxer), I'm happy with the sport not being perfect. It's probably better to just keep it like it is than try to improve it a this point. Its imperfections aren't necessarily all bad either. Controversies like the Fury-Wilder decision do make this sport deeply unsatisfying at times, but that can also be a good thing. These controversies do after all fuel discussions and make people even more passionate. They also help sell rematches. Controversy also adds to the complexity of a sport that is already made interesting and attractive in part it's absolutely ridiculously complex.

And as someone living in time where the world seems to be changing at an accelerating rate, I'm growing increasingly fond the things that don't. I find that I've really started to appreciate old stuff and traditions lately. Whether it's old architecture, Swiss watches, whisky or boxing, part of what I like about those things is that they actually have some history and some real fucking roots. I hink we need things like that in a world where things are now either constantly morphing into something else or being made obsolete and replaced by the new.

While some would argue that in order for boxing to survive, like all things, it needs to change, I think perhaps the best thing we can do for boxing right now is to not change it. Just let boxing be boxing. MMA may sell more PPVs every year, but a UFC heavyweight title won't have that feel of royalty that a boxing heavyweight title has for a very long time - if ever. Boxing should remain firm on what it is how it does things, and that's how it will keep commanding respect from the world for a long time yet. If people complain about its ways, it should just reply with a simple "Fuck you, I'm Boxing."

Like the guy above said...don't change it, heck sumo has had a very long run in Japan by not changing much. Boxing is part of the sports heritage of all English-derived nations that has spread to the rest of the world like soccer and basketball...it doesn't need a ton of rule changes just exciting fights we tend to remember a fight for how good it was as much as who won.

Like the guy above said...don't change it, heck sumo has had a very long run in Japan by not changing much. Boxing is part of the sports heritage of all English-derived nations that has spread to the rest of the world like soccer and basketball...it doesn't need a ton of rule changes just exciting fights we tend to remember a fight for how good it was as much as who won.
It's not a change on rules and technique. It's about having more boxing and less resting and controversy. Even if the 4 minutes is weird, i think we can mostly agree that odd rounds would be better in most cases.

It's not a change on rules and technique. It's about having more boxing and less resting and controversy. Even if the 4 minutes is weird, i think we can mostly agree that odd rounds would be better in most cases.

Granted the rules don't change with 4 minutes but the tactics and type of fighters who benefit from it will. Some guys were built for 15 rounders and when it switched to 12 guys who were not stamina machines caught a break. If it changes I'll still watch just like my dad got used to 12 rounds...I don't have a problem with judging or even the concept of a draw...I think OT in the NFL and College has gotten ridiculous but I'm rambling now so I'll stop.

Granted the rules don't change with 4 minutes but the tactics and type of fighters who benefit from it will. Some guys were built for 15 rounders and when it switched to 12 guys who were not stamina machines caught a break. If it changes I'll still watch just like my dad got used to 12 rounds...I don't have a problem with judging or even the concept of a draw...I think OT in the NFL and College has gotten ridiculous but I'm rambling now so I'll stop.
I'm totally ok with draws if they really occur. But even rounds make them to occur way more than they should.

What the the????

This is the mind set that has given us 20ft of tax laws in the US. See something a bit off and waaaaay over correct. You see it with calls for weapons bans after a shooting. Not trying to beat ya up but no. Just no!

How about we just leave it the way it is, the way that has provided us with countless epic fights over the years?

Back