What’s one good reason for weight cutting?

To not be an ugly cunt, just a regular one...

rr-transform-660x400.jpg

Because you don't want to fight someone much larger. See Uno vs Tibau for more details.

Not true at all. Wrestlers brought weight cutting to MMA. No other combat sport does it. Unless you had wrestling in you background you really don't cut weight. Or at least you didn't until you got to the UFC and were forced to.

And there's a difference between cutting < 15 pounds (which to me is fine if the weight class is 155 or above) but FFS half the WW division is over 200 pounds normally. That's 2 weight divisions away from where they fight. That's ridiculous. Eddie, Kevin lee, tony and Khabib are all 190+ and fight at 155. Smfh
Not true. Boxing and BJJ have weight cutting too. Pretty much all combat sports do.

Because humans rarely weigh exactly X weight and its a way of attempting to some degree empirically insure fair and safe competition. Unfortunately like most things humans come in contact with, the rules involved are pushed to the point of credulity largely mitigating the original point.

Name one good reason for weight cutting. I’ll wait.

Edit: for the sport, not the individual. It is very obvious WHY people cut weight, but it only hurts the sport. Doesn't help.

1. It cuts down on unfair weight disadvantages for fighters at the bottom of a weight class. If I weigh 173 lbs, I am not forced to fight guys who weigh 185 lbs. I cn cut 3 lbs (2 for a non title fight) and fight guys who weigh 170 lbs.

2. It keeps title fights as title fights, instead of making them into meaningless catch-weight bouts just because one guy comes in weighing few more lbs than he predicted he would weigh, and signed a contract that he would weigh, some Friday morning three months away.

3. It allows fighters to train strong with proper nutrition, rather than forcing them into calorie reduction at all costs to make a contracted weight.

4. It mitigates the absurdity of a weight class system that expects not only that fighters come in specific sizes, 15 lbs apart, but also that any human being can predict what he will weigh weeks down the road and have it happen, just as predicted, on the Friday morning before the fight.

5. It gets Sherdog's collective panties all in a bunch.

That said, there are also plenty of reasons why there should NOT be weight cutting. But that isn't what this thread is about, is it?

Extreme weight cutting hurts the sport because fighters are not in their best shape.

Extreme weight cutting hurts the sport as it damages the health of the participants.

What if there were weekly weigh-ins and a hydration test for the 4 weeks leading up to every fight?

Fighters would have to be within a certain percentage of the contracted weight and with a minimum level of hydration.

If it were phased in over 2 years, fighters could adjust to something closer to their "natural" weight class.

There would still be weight cutting but it would not be as extreme.

Edit: for the sport, not the individual. It is very obvious WHY people cut weight, but it only hurts the sport. Doesn't help.
Idk if there is one. Maybe looks/asthetics. But if that were the case, why not watch a division higher. It does provide an added factor when making bets or just stirring up curiosity in general. Like I'm often curious to see how much bigger a fighter is. But honestly, I don't think fans would get upset if weight cutting was limited

Weight limits. Think people just walk around at certain weights all the time.

Extreme weight cutting hurts the sport because fighters are not in their best shape.

Extreme weight cutting hurts the sport as it damages the health of the participants.

What if there were weekly weigh-ins and a hydration test for the 4 weeks leading up to every fight?

Fighters would have to be within a certain percentage of the contracted weight and with a minimum level of hydration.

If it were phased in over 2 years, fighters could adjust to something closer to their "natural" weight class.

Well I do like this idea, but I think it leads to the possibility of more fighters missing weight the more weigh-ins that are held. Or maybe they just cut 4 times in 4 weeks to get to that weight. So I think the penalty would have to be in monetary fines. The UFC couldn't just cancel fights because it would happen a lot. It wouldn't be perfect. I think they should weigh within max 105% of the weight class. Or in other words, they must be no more than 5% heavier than weight class. It's a pretty simple solution. LH's could weigh roughly 12lbs over during the first 3 weighn ins, and have to be 205 on the official weigh in. Then, featherweights could be like 8lbs (still same percentage). So it would just be a sliding scale based on the weight class.

If lets say a fighter can only be 10lbs heavier during the first 3 weigh ins, then ideally they would be under 10lbs heavier. But...let's say they are 12lbs. That's not super dangerous like 25lbs, so in the end you would have fighters cutting way less. For those...you just hit them with a fine. Maybe 10% purse for every missed weight. That could equal 40%. FIghters def wouldn't do that.

It is hard to define really. Are people who are more naturally lean allowed to simply be bigger than those whose body won't allow for it?

Weight cutting as broken as it is allows for everyone to be the same size through hard work and grit, limitations favor those who are naturally more fit.

It creates media days. People come in, take pictures and judge dudes' bodies. It gives bookies and betters a better idea.

It is horrible for the fighters' health, obviously.

As a former D2 and D1 wrestler, I can attest there is no good reason. You just have to do it because EVERYONE does. If you don't cut, your facing someone an entire weight class above you. The quicker they eliminate it the better.

With them exception of possibly having to send somebody to Uzbekistan or some to test fighters leading up to their fights, this is actually one of the most reasonable plans of action.

I'm all for weight cutting though.

So we can see the skeletor looking weigh in pics, that’s why!

It’s obvious.....weight cutting proves you can cut to certain weight for an entire 5 minutes after causing trauma to your body. Then 36 hours later you can fight at that weight despite being heavier than the next heavier weight class.

I mean weight cutting is archaic, idiotic, dangerous and gives us less than the best possible fights. We should keep it though since that’s the way it’s always been. After all that’s the beat argument to support it, that’s it always been that way so why change it.

No if people fought at their actual weight class (<15 pounds of walk around weight) they'd never miss weight.
because the walk around weight would melt like magic during camp? Do you even understand weight?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kilgorevontrouty
Back