What’s one good reason for weight cutting?

When the UFC has their first death due to weight cutting, they'll be forced to make changes and introduce hydration tests like in One FC. Until then, nothing will change.

It's not "if" they'll have a death, it's "when".

it's so rhetorical. what exactly are you waiting for?

and before you bring up Whittaker, Hendo and Gastelum, i would suggest you don't equate the 3 or 4 people who have done just as well or better at a higher weight class with the thousands of fighters who have fought tens of thousands of times after cutting.
Add Frankie, Gaethje, Colby, MM, Fedor, Mousasi, Frank Shamrock, Rashad and Machida to the list.

So you can fight people who are a head smaller than you, so that you dont have to fight people that are a head bigger than you.
If anything is gonna change it has to come from the UFC or the commissions but they cant even have unified rules that are the same everywhere you go, so i guess a fighter has to die for it to get accomplished.

Everybody does it, that's the only reason that shit is still going on.

If you're a stocky guy, you don't have to fight all the giants. Not every stocky guy is DC you know.

It’s like PEDs. You do it because everybody else is.

Did I say tens of thousands? I meant scores of thousands....
Not true at all. Wrestlers brought weight cutting to MMA. No other combat sport does it. Unless you had wrestling in you background you really don't cut weight. Or at least you didn't until you got to the UFC and were forced to.

And there's a difference between cutting < 15 pounds (which to me is fine if the weight class is 155 or above) but FFS half the WW division is over 200 pounds normally. That's 2 weight divisions away from where they fight. That's ridiculous. Eddie, Kevin lee, tony and Khabib are all 190+ and fight at 155. Smfh

only thing that bugs me more than the “I’ll wait” quip has to be the “____ much?”

inB4 people ask “sensitive much?”

on topic, yeah fuck weight cutting. It’s just so entrenched and systematic at this point and it’d be cool to see things change

I know, some people on this forum treat people with big weight cuts like cheaters.
Which is ridiculous because they're playing by the rules. It would make more sense to just put the weigh ins on fight day or take measures like that.

Not true at all. Wrestlers brought weight cutting to MMA. No other combat sport does it. Unless you had wrestling in you background you really don't cut weight. Or at least you didn't until you got to the UFC and were forced to.

And there's a difference between cutting < 15 pounds (which to me is fine if the weight class is 155 or above) but FFS half the WW division is over 200 pounds normally. That's 2 weight divisions away from where they fight. That's ridiculous. Eddie, Kevin lee, tony and Khabib are all 190+ and fight at 155. Smfh
Boxers cut weight, traditionally not as much as MMA as there are more weight classes, but there are a few that do 15.

Every champion, that isn't Stipe, cuts weight seems like a good reason.

Boxing does it LMFAO and has for a century why else do you think you see guys getting belts in like 6 fucking weight classes

Back