Westside Barbell Training

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by HitmanNO.1, Jun 16, 2007.

1. HitmanNO.1 Blue Belt

HitmanNO.1
    Ive been looking into it via online articles for a couple days and was wondering if anyone here trains this way. Id really like to check it out and have seen a few templates, but am still confused on how much of my 1 rep max should I be lifting throughout each set? Can anyone give me a really dumbed down version of this system... I dont reed good haha

2. Old Man Black Belt

Old Man
  3. HitmanNO.1 Blue Belt

HitmanNO.1
    thanks a lot man

4. oyaji poi oyaji belt

oyaji poi
    You might want to start with Joe De Franco's Westside for Skinny Bastards. The link is in the FAQ. I'm using it now for the second time, I like it for a change of pace from linear programming. The WS4SB is a good primer for the Westside conjugate method. It's pretty hard to fuck up this programme too. So while you spend some time reading about the Westside methods you can be chugging away at the De Franco programme for a few months, then switch to the Standard Template from Westside.

Also, many people just use their ideas, without actually calling it "Westside". For example, mschatz and others have Dynamic Effort Bench and Max Effort Bench days. But on the DE day they do Overhead Press first. In the "true" Westside template, you wouldn't do this. But OHP is cool, so many people still do it.

Also, for lower body lifts like deadlift and squat, in general people seem to be able to continue making a lot of progress by simply increasing the weight each week, then slowing down the increases in weight and doing more volume for a few weeks, then switch back to increased weight. This is simple linear progression and seems to work for a lot longer for lower body lifts than just bench. Although the "frankenstein" approach to programming is discouraged by many coaches, it's an interesting way to learn about strength training for yourself as you go.

Food for thought.

5. Madmick Stop Spoiling My TV Life (it's the one I like)

Madmick
    Ditto.

WSB is for guys who already squat 600+. Don't train like elite powerlifters unless you're an elite powerlifter.

6. HitmanNO.1 Blue Belt

HitmanNO.1
    My only question is why must I choose between squats and deadlifts for my lower body day?

7. Old Man Black Belt

Old Man
    Well, you don't have to choose, but they hit many of the same muscles. So if you are going to try to for max weight, you probably only want to do that with one.

I often do both on the same day, but I mix it up. For example, if I start with max squat, then I will typically do something like Romanian deadlifts as an assistance. I find that periodization really helps a lot, so I try not to keep doing the same exercises in the same way week after week.

8. PhxJudoJujitsu Banned

PhxJudoJujitsu
    Westside is a good easy to follow program

9. STWACOACH** Banned

STWACOACH**
    *sigh* CNS