Were Yoel's kneestomps dirty?

Kneestomps dirty technique?

• Total voters
I voted no but I still think it should be banned . It can really injure someone and it practically takes no skill to do so

I feel that throwing an oblique kick is the same as holding onto a sub too long. You're doing something that offers little more to the fight other than the chance of doing serious long-term damage to your opponent.

I don't really feel like saying they should be banned, but I deffo get a heavy sigh/shudder when I see them in a fight.

They're outlawed by the world kickboxing association since it oversees underage competition, and preemptive measures are a thing there when kids are involved. Allowed under most MT rules since those don't give a damn about long-term health, but keeping the gambling culture alive. The goal in MMA is to do damage/score points to win, not to do damage to end careers with moves that don't end the contest.

whats sad is most people who vote they are dirty believe PED's should be legal.

i wish there were less rules not more, or hell even have the rules in place actually enforced like eyepoke's.

If you start banning strikes your just watering down the sport even more. Next thing you know itll be like Olympic Judo so fukn far from real effective fighting Judo its sad to watch.

Depends if the fighter throwing the kick has washed his foot first.

I couldn't help but think those kneestomps were dirty as hell. I know people are trying to cause brain trauma in there and that this is fighting. But Yoel looked like he was trying to mangle Robert's leg. Like he was literally trying to break it in half.

Were those stomps dirty? Is Yoel a dirty fighter? Is this the same thing that Bones does in his fights? Is Bones a dirty fighter?
If he was he would have I think he didn't want to win like that

So you think in a sport where kicking someone in the face, punching them, choking them unconscious, breaking their arm with an arm bar, etc, is ok, but dat oblique kick is not. Strange view of things. How about knee bars, are they dirty? Better yet how about heel hooks, are they dirty? A good heel hook will wreck a knee.
You generally have a chance to tap to those submissions though

I don't understand the thinking. I just don't. You want a dangerous technique? Edson Barboza wheel kicking someone in the dome. That's a dangerous technique.

Holy shit...I was literally just thinking about the Etim kick a few seconds before reading your post.

You generally have a chance to tap to those submissions though

What about an Edson Barboza wheel kick to the dome? Its gotta knock about 5 IQ points off a fighter permanently. Nobody calls for that to be banned.

Holy shit...I was literally just thinking about the Etim kick a few seconds before reading your post.

MMA is dangerous. I guess if knees keep getting blown out, which I doubt, I could see putting a ban on oblique kicks but right now I just don't see it as a problem in a sport where kicking your opponent in the head as hard as you can is legal.

Legit technique, but saying it's like any other strike and minimizing the damage is just going full retard. It might be the single most destructive strike there is.

Having said that, no it should not be illegal. It's a fist fight inside a cage.

Whittaker is out until next year.

Unless they reel this in, expect more fighters to fight less than one time per year.

Whittaker is the first guy to be out "possibly" 5 months???

Legit technique, but saying it's like any other strike and minimizing the damage is just going full retard. It might be the single most destructive strike there is.

Having said that, no it should not be illegal. It's a fist fight inside a cage.

Where's all the destruction? Cite examples.

Miguel Angel Torres got much worse than Whittaker and was able to make it to a decision.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

Whittaker is the first guy to be out "possibly" 5 months???

Where's all the destruction? Cite examples.

Miguel Angel Torres got much worse than Whittaker and was able to make it to a decision.

giphy-downsized-large.gif

How many guys effectively throw those?Not a lot. Frequency might give you a different picture.

Rampage, Torres, Whittaker if you really want some examples.

A direct linear kick hyper extends the knee. A well placed one with legitimate technique amplifies the destruction. Only possible strike is direct concussive KO to the head that might be more damaging.

You don't see a lot precisely because there aren't many who can throw them well. But you are burying your head in the sand if you don't understand the implication of the extent the injury that could come about.

Having said that, it should be legal. It's a fist fight inside a cage.

What about an Edson Barboza wheel kick to the dome? Its gotta knock about 5 IQ points off a fighter permanently. Nobody calls for that to be banned.

The goal is to win, KO's are part of combat. There's a distinction between long-term damage with moves that don't end the contest and moves that do.

Kicks to the balls, you can defend them. I can't recall examples of fighters being out for a year or more when receiving them, but they could be and they could never have kids. If you mess up a knee there's a chance you won't ever fight again, or walk normal, yet you could win the fight.

With kneebars you have time to know when to tap or choose to be stubborn and fight when it's too late. There's a choice.

How many guys effectively throw those?Not a lot. Frequency might give you a different picture.

Rampage, Torres, Whittaker if you really want some examples.

A direct linear kick hyper extends the knee. A well placed one with legitimate technique amplifies the destruction. Only possible strike is direct concussive KO to the head that might be more damaging.

You don't see a lot precisely because there aren't many who can throw them well. But you are burying your head in the sand if you don't understand the implication of the extent the injury that could come about.

Having said that, it should be legal. It's a fist fight inside a cage.

All those guys fought (or will fight in Whittaker's) after. Torres fought five months later.

That kick hyperextends the knee because people refuse to defend the kick. When more people start throwing the kick, people will learn to defend them. A rear foot heavy stance will help negate the damage from this but guys don't want to do it so they complain about it instead. Kinda like Rampage complaining about everyone trying to wrestle him instead of just doing his job using his wrestling as a former wrestler like Chuck to keep the fight standing. He'd rather complain that people aren't fighting his fight.

If fighters want oblique kicks banned, they should talk to the ACs. Either that, side step like Valentina or learn to lift their lead leg off the ground but checking kicks is fairly rare in MMA, so I doubt we'll see that anytime soon.

The goal is to win, KO's are part of combat. There's a distinction between long-term damage with moves that don't end the contest and moves that do.

Kicks to the balls, you can defend them. I can't recall examples of fighters being out for a year or more when receiving them, but they could be and they could never have kids. If you mess up a knee there's a chance you won't ever fight again, or walk normal, yet you could win the fight.

With kneebars you have time to know when to tap or choose to be stubborn and fight when it's too late. There's a choice.

Who is out a year or more from oblique kicks? 2018 is in 5 months and Whittaker MIGHT be out until then. He also might not be.

He was trying to mangle his leg ? Break it in half ? Kind of like a, oh, idk.. Kneebar ? Heel hook ?

You don't understand the meaning of "dirty" in sport.

"Dirty" is when an athlete does something that is legal, but there is a gentleman's agreement to not do it.

Dan Henderson is "dirty" because he throws bombs on opponents who are already unconscious, when he doesn't have to. That is dirty. It is legal, but does he have to? No.

Oh, you're mistaken. Dan has to - for America.

Who is out a year or more from oblique kicks? 2018 is in 5 months and Whittaker MIGHT be out until then. He also might not be.

Or he might be out for a year+. You guys asking for examples are missing the point. Each time someone complains about them or gets hurt by them you keep asking for examples. And when those slowly come, since it's a rarely used move, you continue to ask for examples. Meanwhile Rampage's knee is fucked and Whitaker is out. It hurts the promotion, the fans and the fighter involved. If you need 10-20 more examples until "it's enough", that's just wasting time.

It amazing (but also not surprising) that so many people here think that the point of MMA is to hurt your opponent.

I would also assume that the people who think that have probably never actually competed a day in their life.

Back