Were people happier in the 90s? Because it seems like a decade of carefree music and entertainmentz

Smartphones have really made certain things better like work....emails, gps, etc. but it has also created a generation of social retarded kids. Even adults....I was at a football game and half the people were looking at their phones like zombies.

Young people were mostly concerned with having fun in the 90's
Young people today wake up everyday looking for things to whine and cry and get fake outraged about

I'm a young people. Can confirm. Last night I stayed up until 2AM even though I didn't want to with the sole intention of complaining about only getting 4 hours of sleep today. I will call anyone who gets annoyed by my complaining a heterophobe.

I think the 80s was much more about being carefree and having fun than the 90s. The 90s is the decade that gave us grunge, a genre of music that's specifically all about being depressed and talking about how fucked up life is.

There were other genres as well and the late 90s were full of feel good soft rock. The 80s gave us megadeath. That's not very nice sounding.

Smartphones have really made certain things better like work....emails, gps, etc. but it has also created a generation of social retarded kids. Even adults....I was at a football game and half the people were looking at their phones like zombies.
The one that gets me is all of the children whose parents pacify them with tablets. Wtf? I see kids as young as 18 months glued to screens staring at baby apps. Regardless of how you feel about psychological development (which I believe it can't be good for), it is undeniable that the artificial light is bad for their eyes and kids hold the tablets about an inch away from the tips of their noses.

The one that gets me is all of the children whose parents pacify them with tablets. Wtf? I see kids as young as 18 months glued to screens staring at baby apps. Regardless of how you feel about psychological development (which I believe it can't be good for), it is undeniable that the artificial light is bad for their eyes and kids hold the tablets about an inch away from the tips of their noses.
I was at a party the other day and there were 6 kids alla sitting on the couch with their own individual tablets. No one was interacting and I swear they were hypnotized.

I'm not really sure. I was more carefree because I was a kid/teenager so i sometimes associate those times with being carefree.

It was odd though because sometime around 1999 we all became angry (Woodstock 99) etc. Now kids are just whiney and scared again.

Less social media. Life was better. Period.

The biggest problem now is how extremely invasive and influential the media and corporations have become. They have infiltrated every corner of people lives. It was always a problem, but high-speed internet and smart phones greatly amplified the problem by being able to have almost unlimited access to people's minds. As Neil Postman says, "Technology Giveth and Technology Taketh away."

Super care free from the likes of The Cure and The Smiths.
331819661.jpg

Sit in my room and cry, in the dark.

80's was a great decade though. If it had the internet of today, it would be unmatched.
The Smiths and the Cure were not the norm. Grunge was the freaking norm when Nirvana and Pearl Jam sell freaking 10 million albums and sell out stadium shows. Unless you were one of those dumb meatheads like Paul Ryan listening to Rage Against the Machines because they had a "good beat" and not so much in the lyrical side

Also Generation x'ers were dubbed generation whine by Babyboomers back then. They were also hooked on prozac

Last edited:
I think that with the Internet it wouldn't really be the 80s anymore. Drop the Internet as we know it into the 80s and it morphs into something that is fundamentally different. Everything would change, including the people and their attitudes about things.
If internet was the norm back then, a lot of great movies would not have been cult hits instead. Imagine how much more Blade Runner would have done at the box office if word of mouth spread through the net. It would be like what the internet did for the Matrix. Some of the musicians too would have more coverage.
Game of Thrones would have been cancelled in the 80s and 90s without social media

The 90s were great because everyone was on ecstasy and going out clubbing was all anyone cared about.

the booming economy, the advent of the internet age, and pre-social justice warrior bullshit might have something to do with it. it still felt like the 80's till about 95'-96' to me.

It was a great decade but not as happy as the 80s. Fashion got less fun with all the flannel and boots. Music changed---rap went from silly fun to NWA and Wu Tang. I was in college things were fun but raves had a dark side. Clubs went industrial style. The drug scene went harsh. Dark movies like Reservoir dogs. Woodstock burned shit down. Def not as happy as 80s

80's workout clothes were horrific.

f89c3c3ba185ee88239b574196f1bab8.jpg

80's workout clothes were horrific.

f89c3c3ba185ee88239b574196f1bab8.jpg
Yes but happy! I remember those Zubaz workout pants famously made fun of in Napolean Dynamite. People wore those out lol. I'll never forget in 1994 my friends and I were in a club called Wonderland...had a rock room playing Green Day, a techno room, and a regular bar area. We all wore Levi Silvertab loose fit jeans and flannels with dark boots....the girls wore the same shit!

I was between the ages of 8 and 17 during the 90's.

Was a fucking fantastic time.

Skating or riding bikes everywhere, fighting other groups of mallrats, fucking chicks left and right, dropping acid, smoking weed...

The fucking ANONYMOUS INTERNET! That alone made the 90's great.

Just a phenomenal decade to have come of age.

Last edited:
Yes but happy! I remember those Zubaz workout pants famously made fun of in Napolean Dynamite. People wore those out lol. I'll never forget in 1994 my friends and I were in a club called Wonderland...had a rock room playing Green Day, a techno room, and a regular bar area. We all wore Levi Silvertab loose fit jeans and flannels with dark boots....the girls wore the same shit!

So glad I didn't have to wear it.

NKOTB bridged the 80's into the 90's.

Late 80s to very early 90s were the time for really shitty ass music like Those Debbie Gibson, Mili Vanili ,Vanilla Ice, and NKOTB types

Back