Werdum's cardio...

Werdum trains with an elite coach, paces himself better than 99% of the fighters and he does not carry much muscle mass.
Yeah agreed, Werdum paces himself very well, I always noticed that about him too, even in his Pride days, he never ever loads up, and if he throws a barrage he will just retreat and be calm and then go again, he paces himself excellently. One of the best at it actually.

I think the chances of Werdum gassing out in a 5 round fight is very very small. He never wastes energy.

Since that Mexico City camp he probably upped his cardio game knowing how important it is at HW.

Honestly both men looked tired in the last couple of round to me just not ultra gassed ala say Mir vs Arlovski. Werdum does I think have the advantage that he fights well when he's tired though(seems to run with the Chute Boxe style, Wand and Shogun are/were the same IMHO), he doesn't have to keep to an ultra tight style to be effective.

Last edited:
That kind of cardio at that age eh?

novit1.jpg

No wasted movement or striking. If Werdum throws something, it usually lands.

Compare that to Rashad Coulter earlier in the night bouncing up and down, constant movement, circling, etc and he was huffing and puffing quick. You aren't a Flyweight, you have to conserve energy and every shot needs to count.

Looked like he could have fought another couple of rounds as well. Werdum has a better gas tank than McGregor.

Was actually thinking this last night as I was watching.

Werdum pushing a decent pace for 25 minutes carrying 245 lbs at 40 years old looks fresher than Conor McG in the 3rd round at 155 lbs

This thread would only get made about a Brazilian.

No wasted movement or striking. If Werdum throws something, it usually lands.

Compare that to Rashad Coulter earlier in the night bouncing up and down, constant movement, circling, etc and he was huffing and puffing quick. You aren't a Flyweight, you have to conserve energy and every shot needs to count.

Yeah Werdum's workrate and accuracy are insane, especially consider the dude came from a BJJ world champion background. What impresses me the most about Werdum is that even at HW where KO's are plentiful he's not headhunting one and done. He usually follows up everything with something else behind it

Yeah he has that Big Nog type cardio where he can just go on and on it seems. When he’s fighting like this. Feel like he’s looked somewhat gassed in other fights. Could be a mental thing too, if he feels he’s in control etc.

Could just be the difference between a good camp and a great camp. So many variables between fights, it's a wonder any predictions come true tbh

Watching the fight last night, couldn't understand how a 40 year old Werdum could maintain the level of output he did for 25 minutes. This guy is a heavyweight.

Very puzzling

I was gonna make this same thread.

Dude's cardio and pace is unf*ckingbelievable for a weathered 40 yr old HEAVYWEIGHT at that.

Truly one of the best to do it.

Watching the fight last night, couldn't understand how a 40 year old Werdum could maintain the level of output he did for 25 minutes. This guy is a heavyweight.

Very puzzling

Nah, you could tell he was coasting some rounds. It's not like he was going hard round after round.

Nah, you could tell he was coasting some rounds. It's not like he was going hard round after round.
i think its also the fact he is never worried where the fight goes..most guys are desperate to get u to the ground or keep it standing(mentally it can be draining).werdum is the only hw that nobody even wants to gnp or go to the ground.he is relaxed when he fights cause he can do everything skill wise pretty much

Werdum has found a really good style in HW. He sacrifice speed and power, for output. He rarely goes hard on any strikes, even his knees. The combination of overwhelming his opponent, without putting a lot into his strikes gives him an edge.

When you're in control, have an extremely deep tool-kit, and more than two decades of competition experience, you know how to pace yourself, and you know what strikes to throw and how hard to throw them to maintain your gas tank. Werdum has also fought 5 rounds a few times now.
Look at Werdum physically, he has one of the worst bodies of a top fighter, not the body of a PED user at all, though the eye test is certainly not definitive. Weird guy to accuse of PED use. The RDA comparison is not really valid, RDA did his s&c work with Nick Curson, who has an approach inspired by the Marinovich brothers that led BJ to his final form. I believe RDA is clean, he just gives 110% and has a trainer at the cutting edge.

Very puzzling

Well, thankfully there are procedures and testing in place, making it unnecessary for anyone to pay much attention to your crybaby, butthurt, salty idiocy.

so you are saying that some people, with no training, sitting doing a sedentary job and eating cheetos, will always have better cardio than a regular person who has been training for marathons for the past ten years?
No, that's not what I said. If two people do exactly the same training, for cardiovascular fitness, strength or track events, the gifted athlete will always be superior to the average one. This is common sense.

Werdums in excellent shape for his age, the guy doesn't look like much but he is a solid sized HW. I believe Werdum to be one of the cleaner athletes in the division and I think we're seeing the benefits of it.

Back