Werdum about asking more money

Jesus christ man I am over this backstory drama. Has it really came down to fighters posting fucking txt that no one can verify to show they aren't pussys? Is that really what MMA has come to right now? For fuck sake man work out a deal without having to be public about every single decision.

Jesus christ man I am over this backstory drama. Has it really came down to fighters posting fucking txt that no one can verify to show they aren't pussys? Is that really what MMA has come to right now? For fuck sake man work out a deal without having to be public about every single decision.

Unfortunately, that's how it works. Fighters are pressured to take the fight or suffer the smear campaign that comes if Dana doesn't get his way.

Khabib is right.

C4wLlDA.jpg

I think this is reasonable. Overeem gets paid 300K + 300K. Werdum is a former UFC Champion, asking 800K for a short notice fight, which if he loses will likely knock him off title contention for good at almost 40 years old, is not that unreasonable. There were rumors that they paid Anderson Silva 2 mil for stepping up at UFC 200.

At the end of the day, these guys have to look after their own interests. Especially when you're almost 40 and with only a few fights left.

This, I really can't understand the hate Werdum is getting right now, if he loses a short notice fight against JDS( which he would probably be an underdog in) he is not sniffing another tiltle shot especially at 40 years old, , even moresoe if he gets KO'd spectacularly again. Risk reward demands that Werdum get paid accordingly.

In the media scrum that Dana did, a reporter asked him if Werdum would get any pay for preparing for this fight and Cain getting pulled.

Not an exact quote, but Dana said why would he get his purse if he doesn't fight? He told the reporter to not show up to work for a month and see if they get paid.

So I don't think Werdum is getting anything for this training camp.
And yet Cerrone got show money for the Gastelum fight, another example of playing favorites, which will obviously cause feelings of bitterness in others

I am a sports lawyer. If I was retained by a client to do Project A in Location X interviewing Subjects 1, 2 and 3 for a certain amount, then informed a few days before the project was supposed to start that the Project would occur in Location Y involving Subjects 4, 5 and 6, I would be fired by my client if I asked for substantially more money to provide similar services.

I have no problem with the fighters asking for more money, but they have to learn to be savy businesspeople.

Fuck these fighters man. They won't put it all on the line and challenge themselves anymore, they just want to get paid in case they aren't good enough to do their job right, i.e. win. Dana is in the right on this one.

Cro Cop was paid 1 million to fight Mir on short notice. It's not like there isn't any precedent. Dana is just being cheap and expecting guys to do a favor for the company with no benefit to the fighter.

Werdum did what is right. His title shot, spot and legacy is on the line.

I am a sports lawyer. If I was retained by a client to do Project A in Location X interviewing Subjects 1, 2 and 3 for a certain amount, then informed a few days before the project was supposed to start that the Project would occur in Location Y involving Subjects 4, 5 and 6, I would be fired by my client if I asked for substantially more money to provide similar services.

I have no problem with the fighters asking for more money, but they have to learn to be savy businesspeople.

That's a terrible analogy, you are basically saying that the project is the fight itself which its not. The project includes the entire fight camp preparing for a specific opponent.

That being changed at the last minute without involving further compensation putting yourself at risk knowing that company like the UFC will pay you less after you lose fighting short notice for them is insane to take.

I'm totally okay with Werdum asking Anderson Silva money in this situation. But he contradicted himself after saying before that JDS wasn't offered to him.

And it's odd to come with the "I'm not starving" talk and then trying to haggle 500k. If you're gonna man up, do it all the way.
I disagree with you.
He mentioned he was not starving so he didn't have to accept a fight at any price.
If they want to have him fight, then pay what (he thinks) he deserves, that will cover the risk and the fact that this fight might not propel him to a title shot as was the case if he was to beat Cain.

IMO sounds fair!

The ufc is going to end up going under because of Conor Mcgregor paying one fighter like they paid him is biting them in the ass in multiple ways.
No, it isn't. For every dime they pay Conor, they make more than 10x the amount back. Same is true for just about every big name on the roster. Their payroll is so insanely low relative to their revenue that they may legitimately face legal challenges from underpaying, not overpaying.

I applaud verdoom for ssking for more and not taking the fight. Lol at ducking. He trained for a totally different guy. He asked, ufc said no and they removed him. But thats how it should go. Not a week out, oh do us a favour and fight this guy for the same amount. Eff that.

what makes him think he can ask for more money..... AND a share of PPV?

I fully support him. The reward has to be proportional to the risk, and JDS is a dangerous fight with a full camp, and even more so on short notice.

The UFC opened the purse strings for Conor, and the other fighters are paying attention. I realize that Werdum is not the draw that Conor is, but he is asking for 800k, not 20 millions.

It is a different fight for JDS also. Both fighters were healthy, had full training camps, actually JDS was shorter and a good opportunity to make a nice pay check and cement his status as next in line.
Not like he is making peanuts and the fight doesn't make sense at all, for example if they offered him Cormier!
This would have been clearly for the #1 next in line. Assuming Werdum doesn't sit on his ass scooting around the cage for 4 rds and then some how gets the hail mary KO, maybe then they wouldn't give him the next shot. But really who else would there be. He spent 40k for training don't bitch about expenses and then pass on 500k

This, I really can't understand the hate Werdum is getting right now, if he loses a short notice fight against JDS( which he would probably be an underdog in) he is not sniffing another tiltle shot especially at 40 years old, , even moresoe if he gets KO'd spectacularly again. Risk reward demands that Werdum get paid accordingly.

I wouldn't call this a short notice fight, maybe short notice replacement fight, were the other guy is in the same situation. But he has had a full camp and is ready to go.
Also, this doesn't put him closer to a title shot, if anything it hurts him, just sayin. He is 40 and his career is winding down, if he wins he most likely gets the title shot and payday Now, he aint getting shit!
JDS was in the same spot and he took the fight.

I don't blame the man for trying to get pay better wtf it's normal.

Short notice, dangerous fight, he already fucked you up before, you are way close to the belt like 1 fight away then he is, (hell if JDS didn't have that win on Stipe he would be what 3 fights away from a tittle shot).

He is 39 in the ending of his career with a handful of fights left in him at this point, so the man looks for a better pay alright then negotiate to lower the bar a little bit but the problem is the PPV points from a Ronda comeback PPV (by the way it won't make 1 mill buys it will miss it by a lot) that is the problem he won't give out those bad boys so easy you think Werdum is greedy well he ain't got nothing on Dana and the new owners.

I don't necessarily "blame" Werdum directly, but. . . . .

I simply am as vehemently opposed to ANY last minute opponent change on a main card UFC event as it gets. I don't understand how MMA fighters get away with consistently not meeting their contractual obligations where Boxers are not.

Honestly, is it simply that Boxers are real "professional" fighters and respected by their organizations?

If a main card Boxing match is signed, we fans 100% expect the two fighters under legal contract to compete actually DO SO! There is no such fucking thing as Dana Whites little league/ amateur last second presto-chango bullshit, and there are too many mature combat sport fans in Boxing that would NOT accept that for one second!

I guess that is what separates Boxing from MMA as the big leagues of Combat sports. Pacquiao couldn't even dream of getting the luxury of a little league fighter like a UFC'r. Can you imagine if Boxing would have pulled the OBVIOUSLY injured Philippine fighter from his Mayweather bout weeks before the PPV and announced a replacement fighter?

It is no wonder Sponsors are only willing to pay a fraction of the money for the same time slot advertising in a UFC event vs. a ranked Boxing event, much less a time slice on mainstream team sport television!

Everyone should ask for more money in short notice fights.

But it starts with not accepting slave contracts to begin with.

I applaud verdoom for ssking for more and not taking the fight. Lol at ducking. He trained for a totally different guy. He asked, ufc said no and they removed him. But thats how it should go. Not a week out, oh do us a favour and fight this guy for the same amount. Eff that.

I guess I simply cannot accept ANY last minute opponent change to be considered a "professional" level of a combat sport.

In Boxing, the signed contracts to fight are actually taken seriously. If a main card opponent cannot fulfill their contractual obligation, the fight is cancelled. That is IT it.

There is no such thing as Dana horeshit in real PROFESSIONAL combat sports.

In Boxing, when a main event fighter cannot compete, the entire fucking card is cancelled, AND the fans money REFUNDED.

Dana's Arse is too tight and corrupt to "REFUND" your money once he has pocketed like promoters of Professional Boxing. I don't want to beat a dead horse, but the average demographic that mainly supports Boxing is not the same as the one that mainly supports MMA. The prohibitive vast majority of Boxings demographic would NOT in any way shape or form accept any last minute replacement policy, and would make it clear to the promoters financially.

Dana and crew are comfortable enough that a large enough percent of the main demographic will at minimum begrudgingly accept, if not be good with, this main card last minute opponent modification. They are certainly under the impression that the demographic will not reject this policy in any way that causes the UFC brass to think that they risk loss of revenue from it's fanbase reaction.

I guess what I am saying is that I so strongly feel that last minute presto-chango shit that I firmly agree with Werdum refusing this unprofessional policy. I just don't understand how more money makes a "wrong" right!

It isn't like I am going to pay $50 to a super hot ho for a BJ, and make it to the brothel only to find she is not available. I am sorry, no amount of discount is going to make me let the "dude" filling in as "her" surrogate wrap "his" lips around my Wanker!

The fact that I would not pay the same $50 to get blowed by a man is irrelevant. If you feel that it is wrong, you shouldn't even be willing to get PAID to be drained, period.

Back