Werdum about asking more money

He may get his show money,but who knows how that will work with him turning down a replacement

In the media scrum that Dana did, a reporter asked him if Werdum would get any pay for preparing for this fight and Cain getting pulled.

Not an exact quote, but Dana said why would he get his purse if he doesn't fight? He told the reporter to not show up to work for a month and see if they get paid.

So I don't think Werdum is getting anything for this training camp.

Dana and the UFC gets pissed when fighters act like Independent contractors.

If it came to it he'd come out and say Werdum is the reason an event was cancelled.

You think the owners of the UFC, and Dana White don't negotiate their business deals, trying to maximize their profits? For that matter, most of us negotiate our wages with our companies as well - in fact, its what we're supposed to do, that's how capitalism works. Employees are supposed to negotiate pay/raises/bonuses, and most of us do just that, sometimes we succeed, sometimes we're turned down, but its part of being an employee.

Nothing wrong with Werdum, or any other athlete, doing the same. Whether he gets what he asks for, is, like all negotiations, a different question - the important thing is to try.

Ufc sold for 4.2 billion recently. A former champ asking for 1 mil to fight a new opponent on short notice to keep a card decent is not ridiculous. Id rather watch werdum vs jds than ronda or cody, but maybe thats just me.

Maybe everybody else is into wmma and manlets these days....

Didnt james toney get paid 500k for his fight back in the day...?
Werdum has a bad relationship with UFC, of course Dana is mad and won't give him that money

Dana may even give title shot to JDS if he wins against Struve and left Werdum waiting for Cain again

You think the owners of the UFC, and Dana White don't negotiate their business deals, trying to maximize their profits? For that matter, most of us negotiate our wages with our companies as well - in fact, its what we're supposed to do, that's how capitalism works. Employees are supposed to negotiate pay/raises/bonuses, and most of us do just that, sometimes we succeed, sometimes we're turned down, but its part of being an employee.

Nothing wrong with Werdum, or any other athlete, doing the same. Whether he gets what he asks for, is, like all negotiations, a different question - the important thing is to try.
ALERT
REASONABLE POST

Mods,i dont feel im in my safe space when stuff like this pops up

I think it's BS if he doesn't get at least his show money.

He showed up to fight who he was contracted to fight. It's not his fault the other guy wasn't ready. He did his job.

Werdum has a bad relationship with UFC, of course Dana is mad and won't give him that money
its not about the relationship at this point,its how bad does dana want that fight on the card? Its business.

oh boy - you're supposed to just emasculate people and have the money issue hiding in the back, so people focus on who ducked who - this isnt the type of thing you're supposed to reveal

its not about the relationship at this point,its how bad does dana want that fight on the card? Its business.
obviously he couldnt care less, Ronda draws all the money for this card

obviously he couldnt care less, Ronda draws all the money for this card
I think Dana is def the type to care about this sort of thing, a fighter saying no or being difficult,rankles him to the extreme. Now Werdum will have to kill his next opponent if he wants a title shot.

Dana and the UFC gets pissed when fighters act like Independent contractors.

If it came to it he'd come out and say Werdum is the reason an event was cancelled.
As much as I like Dilly, he let the UFC push him around.

More guys need to be like Werdum. He didn't even talk to Dana and co. His manager did. Like they fucking should.

Think about it this way, lets say mark hunt had signed a 100k / 100k 4 fight contract 2 fights ago. How much do u think UFC would have to pay him to accept a rematch against brock lesnar right now? How could that price have possibly be built into the original contract? It would be impossible without a crystal ball

Though i think Hunt (in your example) has some merits in his statements, a contract has to be respected. I'm pretty sure (without any proof whatsoever) that there is a stipulation on the number of fights a fighter can refuse. If the UFC has offered him several fights, one of them being Brock, he would have to fight for 100k minimum (as is stipulated in the contract). He can refuse, but i think they are in a better position, being the employers and all.

Also, there are locker room bonuses, sometimes being over the amount disclosed in the fight purse. In the Hunt example, yeah, he could negotiate on that. But text messages directly to the director? We're not talking about some mom and pop owned diner.

Short notice, against an opponent he hasn't prepared for and he's asking for essentially less than a million.

The man helped you sell-out a 45,000 seat stadium in Brazil which made the company millions in revenue. The guy is a former champion, a Heavyweight legend and a guy who deserves that money.

Stop being tight asses.

Sounds about right to me. A completely different, much more dangerous opponent that brutally KOd Werdum the last time. I would ask for more money too.

Since this was the only fight i cared about on this card, they lose my 50 ppv dollars... But they have to lose a lot more than that for Werdum to be worth 800k + ppv points, so they probably know what they are doing..

I fully support him. The reward has to be proportional to the risk, and JDS is a dangerous fight with a full camp, and even more so on short notice.

The UFC opened the purse strings for Conor, and the other fighters are paying attention. I realize that Werdum is not the draw that Conor is, but he is asking for 800k, not 20 millions.

Yes but in the UFC eyes, that match wasn't really important, and Werdum vs x, will have very little impact on PPV purchases, yet there going to be giving up PPV points on a card that will sell over a million, or close to, to save a fight that's not even the co-main event.

I can understand fighters wanting more, but I just don't see how Werdum can try and have us believe that this was a serious demand. We all k ow there never gonna go for it, so don't waste our time and just say you don't want to fight.

I think Dana is def the type to care about this sort of thing, a fighter saying no or being difficult,rankles him to the extreme.
I don't know if anyone remembers but UFC 99 took place in Germany and ticket sales were going bad. So, they called Cro Cop to fight on the card. They gave him a one fight contract. ut Cro Cop had knee surgery and he still took a fight. He beat Al-Turk.

Then after the fight there were rumors that Cro Cop signed with Dream. Dana flipped and started to talk trash about him. Saying that the Cro Cop turned down Cain. They needed him to fight Cain, but he was scared. So they gave him Al-Turk. That he picked that fight.

Then Cro Cop said that he wasn't fit to fight and said he wouldn't fight a really good wrestler, because he has a bad knee and was recovering from surgery, but would take a fight to help the UFC out. He wore like a sleeve on his knee for the fight.

After that he signed with the UFC and Dana liked him again. But when he didn't immediately resign with the UFC after the Al-Turk fight, Dana ran his smear campaign and put him down.

I don't know if anyone remembers but UFC 99 took place in Germany and ticket sales were going bad. So, they called Cro Cop to fight on the card. They gave him a one fight contract. ut Cro Cop had knee surgery and he still took a fight. He beat Al-Turk.

Then after the fight there were rumors that Cro Cop signed with Dream. Dana flipped and started to talk trash about him. Saying that the Cro Cop turned down Cain. They needed him to fight Cain, but he was scared. So they gave him Al-Turk. That he picked that fight.

Then Cro Cop said that he wasn't fit to fight and said he wouldn't fight a really good wrestler, because he has a bad knee and was recovering from surgery, but would take a fight to help the UFC out. He wore like a sleeve on his knee for the fight.

After that he signed with the UFC and Dana liked him again. But when he didn't immediately resign with the UFC after the Al-Turk fight, Dana ran his smear campaign and put him down.
typical dana

A low record lowers his value as a fighter. If he's risking his record, he should be paid accordingly.
Totally agree, it seems the UFC have some of their fans intimidated as well as the fighters, for anyone complaining a fighter is asking too much by asking 800k+PPV with a last minute substitute on a huge card, you are full of shit, in business high risk either means high reward or a large loss, the ball should well and truly be in Werdum's court and UFC should man up and start feeding their stock to increase return in the long run.

Then Dana was like "Its alright....we'll just have you not fight".

Back