Welfare fraud funding terrorism in Somalia

clmetal

Iced Earth
@Gold
Reaction score
Obviously no one cares if this was initially reported on 5 years ago: (some)

The national, go-to expert on what is behind these mysterious money transfers is Glen Kerns. He is a former Seattle police detective who spent 15 years on the FBI’s joint terrorism task force, until his retirement.

Kerns tracked millions of dollars in cash that was leaving on flights from Seattle. It was coming from Hawalas, businesses used to courier money to countries that have no official banking system.

Some immigrant communities rely on Hawalas to send funds to help impoverished relatives back home.

Kerns discovered some of the money was being funneled to a Hawala in the region of Somalia that is controlled by the al Shabaab terrorist group.

“I talked to a couple of sources who had lived in that region and I said, 'If money is going to this Hawala do you think it is going to al Shabaab?'" said Kerns. "And he said, 'Oh definitely, that area is controlled by al Shabaab, and they control the Hawala there.'”

He said when the money arrives, whether it was intended for legitimate purposes or not, al Shabaab or other groups demand a cut.

As Kerns dug deeper, he found that some of the individuals who were sending out tens of thousands of dollars’ worth of remittance payments happened to be on government assistance in this country.

How could they possibly come up with such big bucks to transfer back home?

“We had sources that told us, 'It’s welfare fraud, it’s all about the daycare,'” said Kerns.

Five years ago the Fox 9 Investigators were first to report that daycare fraud was on the rise in Minnesota, exposing how some businesses were gaming the system to steal millions in government subsidies meant to help low-income families with their childcare expenses.

In order for the scheme to work, the daycare centers need to sign up low income families that qualify for child care assistance funding.

Surveillance videos from a case prosecuted by Hennepin County show parents checking their kids into a center, only to leave with them a few minutes later. Sometimes, no children would show up.

Either way, the center would bill the state for a full day of childcare.

Video from that same case shows a man handing out envelopes of what are believed to be kickback payments to parents who are in on the fraud.

Search warrants obtained by the Fox 9 Investigators show each one of the suspect centers has received several million dollars in childcare assistance funds.

According to public records and government sources, most are owned by Somali immigrants.

When asked if the Department of Human Services has any evidence to suggest this looks like organized crime, Johnson responded, "There's a common pattern in how a lot of these are carried out, but beyond that, not something that I would directly categorize as organized crime."

Sources in the Somali community told Fox 9 it is an open secret that starting a daycare center is a license to make money.

http://www.fox9.com/news/investigators/millions-of-dollars-in-suitcases-fly-out-of-msp-but-why

But thats impossible, just yesterday liberals here were telling me they are hard working, law abiding citizens...

But thats impossible, just yesterday liberals here were telling me they are hard working, law abiding citizens...

Imagine if this was your only moronic post, so I used this one post to say "bobgeese is a fucking moron and only makes stupid shit posts" despite your other 9,400 posts being brilliant and greatly exemplary of a bunch of liberals who said that you were actually an intelligent person.

I guess my appraisal would win out.

Most are.

Imagine if this was your only moronic post, so I used this one post to say "bobgeese is a fucking moron and only makes stupid shit posts" despite your other 9,400 posts being brilliant and greatly exemplary of a bunch of liberals who said that you were actually an intelligent person.

I guess my appraisal would win out.

{<jimmies}

There will always be people gaming the system. Fraudsters and criminals and scumbags are never in short supply.

Doesn’t mean you stop helping the people who legitimately need it, just means you need to catch and punish the scumbags.

Back