Weights for bjj

Nik123

Brown Belt
@Brown
Reaction score
So if I want to try to make bjj 3 times a week, I need to drop one of my 2 weights sessions and stick to 1 weight training session per week. Is this enough to gain strength for bjj?

The other option is 2 X bjj a week, 2 X weights.

Final option is alternate weeks - one week 3 bjj, 1 weights sessions, next week 2 bjj and 2 weights sessions.

Which one do you think is best for the goal of getting better at bjj while getting stronger/adding muscle?

I'd say 3 + 1. By doing more BJJ you will also 'gain more strength for BJJ'.

But then again, people who are into weight lifting will probably tell you that once per week is not enough...

So if I want to try to make bjj 3 times a week, I need to drop one of my 2 weights sessions and stick to 1 weight training session per week. Is this enough to gain strength for bjj?

Final option is alternate weeks - one week 3 bjj, 1 weights sessions, next week 2 bjj and 2 weights sessions.

Which one do you think is best for the goal of getting better at bjj while getting stronger/adding muscle?

I like your alternate plan it's logical if you like your weight lifting.

Personnally I do only 1 real weight lifting session (about an hour) a week but I do 2 or 3 bodyweight training in front of the TV (about 20 minutes) so I do push ups, planks, a lot of abs, lunges...

It seem to work for me because I don't seem to lose strength but I don't get huge ''gains'' from it

What are your current goals? Do you have a competition coming up? Right now I do bjj 4 times per week and the gym 2 times. It will shift throughout the year based on my goals. I'll do 3 bjj and 1 gym starting in september. I might stick with that for a couple months.

Since one of your goals is to gain muscle, you need to eat TONS of food to achieve that goal. If you are not consuming surplus calories, you will gain very little muscle no matter how hard you train.

With that said, I'd suggest 2x lifting, and 2x BJJ per week. Make sure to maximize your your time on the mat by sticking around to the bitter end during the sparring portion of your training. This can help make up for only 2x per week of BJJ.

I'm in a similar situation, working on adding muscle and getting better at BJJ. I lift 3x a week and train BJJ 2-3x a week. I've managed to gain 35 pounds over the past 5 years or so.......the hardest part for me is getting enough calories in.

Why can't you do 3 days of each? Too sore, tired, no time?

What's your weight training routine? You may have ridiculous amounts of unnecessary volume that makes you feel like you can't train more.

I think this depends on how good you are at BJJ. If you're a bottom feeding white belt, I think you are MUCH better off spending your time doing more BJJ. Learning technique at this stage is crucial. Strength is in the way of most white belts. If youre a good blue or purple and your goals are to compete, strength training becomes more important.

It's going to be impossible with only 4 sessions a week between them to both gain a lot of muscle and get significantly better at BJJ. You can get *stronger* by lifting once a week (do a basic Starting Strength style workout focusing on the big lifts), but you really need volume for any hypertrophy to occur. Not to mention that BJJ itself can be a heavily aerobic activity which can steal some of your gains. I'd probably go 3x BJJ and 1x lifting with the near term goal of just continuing to gain strength.

All this assumes you're not using drugs. You can definitely add mass on that schedule if you are.

if its an issue of scheduling id do as much training as i can, then lift once a week and another 1 or 2 times do some calisthenics

I have a similar problem. I only have time to barely lift once a week so should I just do starting strength routine and alternate it's two workouts every other week?

I have a similar problem. I only have time to barely lift once a week so should I just do starting strength routine and alternate it's two workouts every other week?
what?

i've got the opportunity to do judo 6 days a week for 2-3 hours each day...does anyone have suggestions for how to work lifting into that? should i lift 4-6 hours before practice, or should i lift afterwards?

i don't have to worry about calories because i'm already a tubby sack of shit.

Just focus on the lift that give you good strength gains (pull ups, deadlifts, rows, bench press, and dips).

Those 5 exercises are great for strength training and if you only do those 5, it won't tear your body up too much (no point in adding a bunch of isolation exercise, the practical strength gains won't be worth the stress on your body since your already going to be banged up from sports).

If you want to get better at bjj do 4 times bjj, and it is not even a question.

You don't even need a "gym session", you could build a home gym, do pull ups, push ups, rope climbs at home, doing 20 minutes sessions every time you want.

If the need to drop because of time constraints or recovery?

i've got the opportunity to do judo 6 days a week for 2-3 hours each day...does anyone have suggestions for how to work lifting into that? should i lift 4-6 hours before practice, or should i lift afterwards?

i don't have to worry about calories because i'm already a tubby sack of shit.

4-6 hours before and tightly constrain volume and intensity. If you don't compete in powerlifting you can rotate primary exercises fairly often. If schedule demands doing it after, use lower-skill accessory lifts.

If you were a novice I'd say do greyskull (it's basically starting strength but the last set is AMRAP) on your lifting day. Supplement with bodyweight training two more days a week. Gymnastic bodies and Convict conditioning are some good resources for getting a lot done with bodyweight.

If you can get resistance bands and/or knee wraps, some options open up in the form of adding dynamic resistance or blood flow restriction training to increase training effect.

If you were intermediate, i'd say general structure would be

Work up to a heavy set (Single, double or triple)

Then back off to between 75-85 percent of your max, do sets of 3-5 until fatigue raises the RPE to near your heavy set. Some weeks substitute the back-off sets AMRAP sets at dropping weights

English is not my first language.
But what I mean was that since SS consists of two different exercise days...

Exercise A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Exercise B
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Powerclean 3x5

So my question was: Should I just alternate between A and b every other week?

Also, I have never heard of greyskull, but thanks for the tip.

English is not my first language.
But what I mean was that since SS consists of two different exercise days...

Exercise A
Squat 3x5
Bench 3x5
Deadlift 1x5

Exercise B
Squat 3x5
Press 3x5
Powerclean 3x5

So my question was: Should I just alternate between A and b every other week?

Also, I have never heard of greyskull, but thanks for the tip.

Personally I would not squat, bench and deadlift in the same mother flipping day. For me, I can't see making serious stength gains on any of those lifts this way. Once you give it your best for 5 on squat, youre not really going to be able to give it your best for 5 on bench and deadlift.

Back