Weighted Burpees?

damn dude you are a bad dude. Haha I bet that sucked.

Haha i didnt look too bad when i was doing them, i was screamin around 50.

But if you want to keep those arms and shoulders fresh a few rounds in, burpees are one of the best.

i got my weight vest from everlast.com, sign up to their email offers and they will periodically send you a 50% off promotional discount. I got their brand and it has held up nicely.

Also, I'm not keeping my hands at my sides, I'm jumping and simultaneously thrusting the dumbells over my head.

Well considering the weight would do nothing for the pushup portion, you are basically just adding 20 lbs to a jump. If you are looking for a variation, just do tuck knee burpees.

Not True, the weight adds a couple inches to the range of motion of the push-up.. Kinda like pushup handles.. (providing you actually do the full push-up while doing your burpee) plus if you are doing the burpee correctly, you are raising the extra weight above your head every rep..

When it comes to lifting I'm always in favour of keeping it simple and being consistent but for conditioning I find that more variety is better. Maybe that's because I like lifting more than conditioning so a little variety keeps it interesting. Anyway, it's not like burpees are specific training so if you want to add dumbbells then go for it.

I don't like the idea of doing jumps with weights when fatigued. Seems like their could be an increased risk of injury (however small it is) with no added benefit. If you really want to make burpees more interesting, I'd do what Oblivian said and add tuck jumps, or perhaps star jumps or something.

I like to do my Burpees with a 20 Lb slammer ball. after the jump blast the ball down, then do your push up off the ball.

Is a slammer ball a medicine ball that doesn't bounce?

Is a slammer ball a medicine ball that doesn't bounce?

indeed it is. Plus they're durable.
They're about the size of an under-inflated basketball. I've seen them up to 50 lbs.

It's a good piece of conditioning equipment. Not a must have, but I really like it for the slam ball burpee...or slurpee as I refer to them.

I briefly looked into getting a weight vest a couple months ago. Everything that I found was extremely overpriced. In general a vest filled with sand should NOT be $50. They have some out there that are $300+. How crazy is that? people can buy a weight vest that costed more than my bench, rack, 350 lbs of weights, and dumbells combined.

If you can find one for maybe $20 - $35... In my opinion that would be worth it. It's definitly a good piece of equipment to have. Maybe I'm just an overly frugal person though.

I found a 40lb x-vest on craigslist for $40.

If you're just looking for something to add a little spice to your burpee routine, what about doing them under a pullup bar? When you make the jump on the eight count, turn it into a pullup. This is an all-time favorite of our squadron's fitness leaders. I find it to be pretty fun as well.

Back